Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just started the process

So in January, I went to meet the first doctor, she was nice and informative, but after I left I was really nervous. Last week I had my second appointment with another doctor, who ordered blood work and diagnosed me with hyperinsulimia, and now put me on metformin. I nervous, it seems like everyone is far to casual about having my bowels chopped up. I have non alcoholic stenosis, and due to that, my liver is enlarged. I guess im just worried, I know that the surgery can improve my quality of life, but just the fact that everyone seems so nonchalant about it, I already have so many health issues... I guess what I really want out of this post is for someone to tell me its going to be fine. I've lost 9 lbs since my first consult, my next one is on March 5th, right before I have my nutrition class. Also, my doctor said that the request to the insurance company doesnt go out until I finish their 6 month course, but im worried once I go through all of this, that they won't give the pre cert. Anyone else have similar issues/concerns?

Dear Sweatheart,

I have NONE of the issues you are describing (a few minor ones for sure) but, I can tell you, you are right to be cautious and thoughtful and ask MANY questions. Questioning all this and doing your research does not make you a loon! lol It makes you an informed, smart patient. While I cant guarantee you that the waters will be always smooth, I can say that my father is a doctor in this area and was instrumental in developing the bariatric program here so, when I decided I wanted this, I GOT AN EARFULL!! I could go on for days about stats, case studies etc! lol Even in saying that, HE was concerned about me making such a permanent, life altering decision too. this is a BIG deal.All your emotions are the right ones to have , because they are yours. Its your body, your life, your feelings and your doctors and support staff should answer them all with patience and understanding. If you don't feel you have the right team, you can always stop and begin again with another. This is not my first surgery, I did have the band, now I am having the bypass. I will say, I lost almost 100lbs and for me, it was life altering. My health improved, my self esteem rose up off the floor for the first time in years, and I felt like a light, happy confident women just like all the other women in the room for once! Unlike some people will think of us, this is not magic! I worked VERY hard at this, I ate right, and worked out hard, and it paid off! I was my own fairy weight loss godmother! lol My band was defective and my thyroid has worsened so, my surgeon feels bypass is best now so, this is the continuation of my path. Its all scary uncharted territory for you right now and its tons of information to take in it seems but, remember, its also a learn on the job sort of thing to a point as well. You certainly want to follow direction but, you can ALWAYS ask if you forget, of feel weird or confused until you are a bypass master. Then it will be as much a part of you as breathing is. As for your illnesses, they will certainly be effected by this change (most likely in a very good way) but you learned to manage them when you first became diagnosed and you will relearn as they change as you are obviously a savvy patient. The only constant in life is change! I think your making a very brave change just for you and all for the best. However, as I said, if you have lingering doubt, keep on asking, get another consult, whatever it takes until you are FULLY comfortable. This process is tough enough, you have to feel confident you have made a good and informed decision. you will be in my thoughts and prayers, please message me any time at all, good luck and feel better, stay well and think POSITIVE!

OH PS...SUPER congrats on the 9 lbs! your a rock star already! lol Keep up all the hard work, your doing great!