Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother Daughter Weight Loss Race

Hi Y'all

I've Been Banded Since 1/24/07 And Everythings Been Fine. I've Lost 45lbs So Far And Had 2 Fills. I'll Be Getting Another Fill Next Week. I Was Feeling So Good About Myself And Life Was Going Great. That Is Until My Mom Decided To Get Gastric Bypass. She Had The Surgery A Week And A Half Ago. She's Back At Home And Doing Fine. The Reason I'm Feeling Down On Myself Is Bc She's Lost 20lbs In That Short Amount Of Time And It Took Me Almost 2 Months To Loose That. Now All She Ever Talks About Is Her Weight Loss, Things I Shouldn't Be Eating And Why Gastric Bypass Is So Much Better Than Lapband. I Feel Like We're Is Some Sort Of Race Now To See Who Can Loose The Most Amount Of Weight The Fastest. I Realize My Mom Is Happy About Her Weight Loss But At The Same Time I Think She's Being A Rude, Immature Brat!!! So Pretty Much I Just Wanted To Vent My Frustrations. Trying To Talk To Her Is Pointless. So Thanks For Listening And Any Words Of Wisdome Are Welcomed. Thanks Y'all

Don't worry about how much faster she's losing. With lap band, we do lose slower than bypass patients. We also have fewer health issues than bypass patients. They have to be so careful not to become mal-nutritioned, and it's much easier for us.

I don't really have any words of wisdom for you, just know that you can come here and get support whenever you need it.

I hope mom lays off soon.

Congrats on your 45lb weight loss so far!

Don't worry too much about your Mom. Bypass patients do tend to lose wiehgt faster than those with a band but after awhile her weight loss is going to slow dramatically. Yours will just keep trucking along slow and steady. Thnk of the thngs you will be able to do that she won't. You don't have to worry as much about the types of food you eat. If it is your birthday you can have a tiny piece of cake and not be having bloaty gassy horrible cramps. If your weight loss slows you can get a fill and take care of that problem, your Mom can't. Once her weight loss slows she will have to be very areful to make sure it does not creep back on.

Ryan, that is horrible. I would be horrified if my mom had gastric bypass and was losing faster than me. It's bad enough that there's a guy at work who is losing faster than me (with a lapband). I hate to say it, but you're going to have to be super duper strong because she may lose a LOT more than you over the next year. But YOU WILL GET THERE eventually, like everyone else said.

I have a friend who had gastric bypass 2 years before I had my band surgery. From my perspective, the lapband is MUCH better. She used to come over to my house and spend half the time in the bathroom sick because she couldn't control what she was eating and had horrible side-effects. And after a year, she quit losing, just like someone else said.

You do have one advantage--you're younger. If you REALLY, really, really want to lose faster, hit the gym...and hit it HARD. Also, get some professional advice regarding your meal plan so you make sure you're getting adequate calories and such. I am convinced that a lot of banded folks would do better if they ate a little more.