Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7weeks out, just ate slice of pizza! NO RESTRICTION...?

Hi guys, here. Am band to sleeve revision on jan 9th. Have not been loosing a lot, but in all honesty, I only have 50 to loose. 20 lbs from pre surgery to today but still with anything I have not felt a lot of restriction. I've been confused and actually wondering if the surgery was done leaving me with 15%of my stomach. I'm wondering if they left me more since I didn't have a lot to loose. I am discouraged to say the least and I see my surgeon tomorrow. I am going to ask in a nice way but really, I want to know. My leak swallow test showed a round stomach like the size of a baseball...there was no banana shaped anything. I hope to get answers tomorrow because if I went through all this and it's not what I wanted that would suck

That's odd. I wonder if the shape is due to you having the band before? Mine is defiantly a skinny little banana and I have major restriction..your right, that's a good question for the surgeon

I am going from the band to sleeve at some point and my surgeon said it would be banana shaped. That yours is a baseball shape is really confusing and might be the reason for your not feeling restriction. Seems like a lot of food could fit into a baseball. Definitely ask the surgeon why it is shaped like that, what they found when they went in and why you don't feel restriction. And dont' worry about "asking nicely". Just ask. We women are often too nice and don't get the care, answers or advice we deserve.

And here is another piece of advice for you and all those getting surgery:

GET A COPY OF THE OPERATIVE REPORT. YOU MIGHT BE VERY SURPRISED TO FIND OUT WHAT WENT ON. DON'T DEPEND ON YOUR DOCTOR TO TELL YOU EVERYTHING.

That is how I found out my lap band surgeon put in a 4cc and not 10 cc band that he told me. Also, years previously, I got the operative report for my hysterectomy and found out some things the doctor didn't tell me.

I CAN'T EMPHASIZE ENOUGH: GET A COPY OF THE OPERATIVE REPORT!!!!

I'm guessing at some point you had a dilated pouch with your band? That round baseball is what was left over when they removed your band unfortunately. I have the same thing. They say it shouldn't technically inhibit your weight loss but it does. I've never had any real restriction and I never lost one bit of my hunger. I loved my band and had amazing results. I've struggled everyday since my sleeve surgery and in fact sitting here today I weigh almost 10lbs more than I did on the day I had my surgery.

Oh and btw, not to be the food police but you definitely should NOT be eating pizza 7 weeks out, you should still be eating soft food as you are still healing.

I'm guessing at some point you had a dilated pouch with your band? That round baseball is what was left over when they removed your band unfortunately. I have the same thing. They say it shouldn't technically inhibit your weight loss but it does. I've never had any real restriction and I never lost one bit of my hunger. I loved my band and had amazing results. I've struggled everyday since my sleeve surgery and in fact sitting here today I weigh almost 10lbs more than I did on the day I had my surgery.

If you loved your band and had amazing results why did you have it removed and a sleeve done?

Most of those on here who went from band to sleeve had a myriad of problems with the band. I don't recall seeing any other posts about problems with the band affecting the shape of the sleeve.

Sorry both of you are having problems. Hopefully if you get a copy of the operative report and discuss it with the surgeon you can get some answers. Don't accept anything less than success with the surgery.

For me it was a couple of things. One was fear of what could come. I'm only in my thirties and there is no way to tell what could come of another 30 or more years with the band. Also honestly even though I lost my weight I lived very tight and I was sick of feeling stuck all the time. Everyone said such great things about the sleeve, who wouldn't want just feeling full ? No more sliming ? No more PB ? Actually feeling full ? So i went for it. As for not hearing of anyone else experiencing this, let me assure you there are plenty of us, of coarse if you are doing well and not searching for these specific problems then you may not come across them but I am and I have and I'm sure when I see others out there wondering why they never felt any restriction at all they prob have it too, they just didn't see their xrays.

Oh and btw, not to be the food police but you definitely should NOT be eating pizza 7 weeks out, you should still be eating soft food as you are still healing.

Different surgeons have different plans. I was cleared for anything I could tolerate at six weeks out by my surgeon and nutritionist. There was still a lot I couldn't tolerate, but I was given the go ahead to try.

Please let us know how your appointment goes. I'm curious to see what your surgeon says

Hi everyone! First, I want to thank you all for your input and posts, it really means a lot to hear thoughts from friends that have been down this road:) I did have my appointment yesterday and all my questions were answered. Fortunately, the hospital system where I had my surgery has an online portal where you can look up any report, blood work, etc. I had a cop of my OR report with me. Ok, first, the round pouch was due to the lab band that was removed in September. The shape is different and I'm glad there are others out there like me!! Eating pizza was stupid and the look on my surgeons face was not a good one! He told me that since I only had a small amount of weight to loose, it would go slower but do not loose focus. He said he knows how easy it is to get discouraged, but do not loose focus, told me to ever push the envelope or sleeve again and DO NOT LOOSE FOCUS!!! I was also told that wording was a factor due to insurance...I was denied the revision because I was not heavy enough. It is not a plication and my stomach is at 15%....however the OR report does not indicate any percentage of stomach...should it?? I had my lab band removed in September. I went in for a simple replacement of my port and woke up to hear they had to take it out due to infection underneath the tubing. I was shocked and upset however I look at is as a blessing. I was very thin, sallow, tired and malnourished. I gained 50 lbs in 4 months and was miserable but everyone told me my eyes looked brighter and I looked healthier. I was so focused on the weight gain I did not notice it at the time but I look at pictures and realize it was true. Even today, 20 lbs thinner, I feel so incredibly healthier. It has been a long haul and the last thing I want to do is to have issues with my sleeve...etc leak!! Pizza was not good and will never again for a looooong time...lol. It is completely different from the band and I lived with that for 7 years so I got real used to being able to cheat it if I wanted. It's a totally different feeling and one that I'm trying to get used to and I will. With all the wonderful insight you all have to offer its amazing and I thank you all again for your posts. I hope what my dr told me makes sense, if not please let me know your thoughts and anything else I may need to look into????