Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, guys!!!!

I'm getting my VGS a month from tomorrow! My family feels like I am going into this kind of blind sided; however, I have done extensive research on the procedure and my mom has even had the procedure and lost over 160 pounds! Let me explain why my family thinks I am going into this blindsided...

I HAVE NO GOAL WEIGHT.

Let me explain before anyone agrees with my family and tells me to do more research.. I do not have a goal weight because I just want to be healthy. I want to get to the point in my life where I don't get out of breath walking up the stairs, I don't have sleep apnea, PCOS, or diabetes. I don't want my health to be defined by a number on a scale; however, my mom says that is the whole point of this surgery is TO LOSE WEIGHT but in all honesty, I just want to get healthy and go into my first year of college a new and happy me. :)

I am totally aware that this surgery will change my life and I have already started making the lifestyle changes necessary to succeed with my VGS. I can't wait to do all the things I have wanted to do my whole life (I'm only 18.) I want to zip line, hike, jet ski, ride horses and so much more but my weight has been holding me back. I honestly just can't wait to live a healthy and active lifestyle that I have always dreamed of...

Anyways, thank you for listening to my rant and please leave comments. Do you guys think I am blindsided into this whole situation? I think I have all my ducks in a row, but now I'm kinda nervous that I might be missing out on a key component to this.. Sorry if this was all over the place!!!

PS: Ladies, I AM SORRY IF YOU GET OFFENDED BY SAYING "GUYS" I CALL EVERYONE "GUYS!"

Sounds like you're the one with the right priorities, goals and expectations - they just want an arbitrary number on a scale.

I think you have a great mindset about it all.

If you do later want something to aim for, but don't want to be a slave to the scale, maybe buy a pair of pants in a 'goal size'. That will give you several pounds leeway, instead of focusing on a single number.

It took me 6 months after VSG to get to your mindset. Bravo, young lady! Keep us posted when you have your surgery! You're going to do just fine :)

You may not have a goal weight, but do you have a certain amount of weight you'd like to lose each month? By having some kind of target in mind, I am able to determine if I am progressing or not. I can always reevaluate my goals if I find that they don't suit my needs. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

post-147109-0-48697300-1424745019_thumb.jpg

Hi there. I think you have wonderful goals and that you will obtain them. I believe the real question is what is the best way for you to achieve them. Your family knows you more than anyone on this forum so I would vest more into their observations assuming they are coming from a good place. Your mother especially would know because she also has firsthand knowledge and experience with this procedure. I would listen to her with an open mind because she would have your best interests at heart and her insight should help guide you into making the right choice for you! Wish u peace in your decision!