Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rate of weight loss question

I just completed my initial consultation with surgeon. He was comparing RNY to Lap band, saying, "the two surgeries don't compare for weight loss, the band is only average 2 pounds/month." I am not interested in RNY and favor the lap band. I would love to hear thoughts on rate of weight loss and how difficult compliance is to ensure weight loss.

Hi kittyhorse--I must say that 2 pounds a month does not sound accurate to me. I have been averaging 8-10 pounds a month. Now, of course that may not be what everyone else will average--it definately depends on what you are eating, and your level of activity. I try to eat healthy food--lean Proteins, veggies, salads, fruit, only whole-grain carbs, etc., and I exercise at least 6 days a week. I do think that has played a large role in my success. But everyone is different. I'm sure you do lose faster with RNY, however, I did not want to go through such a radical surgery, choosing something far less invasive, and completely reversible. Good luck with your decision.

I just completed my initial consultation with surgeon. He was comparing RNY to Lap band, saying, "the two surgeries don't compare for weight loss, the band is only average 2 pounds/month." I am not interested in RNY and favor the lap band. I would love to hear thoughts on rate of weight loss and how difficult compliance is to ensure weight loss.

Kitty,

Everyone is different with their weight loss. It is said that the amount a person loses with LB is half the amount a person loses with GBP. I truly believe it all depends on your food choices. We are all here because we have an eating disorder and we need to be choosing the lapband for all the right reasons. Remember it is just a tool in you're body to help you eat less, make you chew your food well and the need to eat slowly so you don't get sick. It was never designed for you to take away the foods you have always enjoyed but are those the foods that made you the size you are now?

I personally chose to turn my life around since my old life didn't do me any good with my food choices and exercise and the results have been astounding. I had my surgery November 10, 2005 and by July 25, 2006 I reached my goal weight. I started at 251 and I am now 139 and have been maintaining since. Soon enough it will have been off me for 1 year and I am looking forward to that as I have never kept it off for more than 3 months. I also have an empty band. I have never had a fill for restriction, I never got sick, and I can eat everything and not get sick. Some people can't eat certain things anymore and I think it may have to do with getting restricted. I am still not sure of that though. Well, I can't eat broccoli anymore as it causes tremendous colic and I am unable to pass the gas.

This is the safest procedure out there if you have tried everything else and all has failed. My doctor told me though prior to going in the operating room, remember it is 80% you and 20% the band. He told me that I lost 103% of my BMI and most people he says will lose no more than 65% of their BMI.

I am feeling wonderful. Good luck to you and if you have questions I will be more than happy to help you out.

Josephine

Kittyhorse,

You can lose as much weight as you want with the band and it can be ALMOST as fast as RNY if you find the right surgical team and put your all into the process. You don't have to take that approach -- you can opt for something more comfortable (slower fills, higher caloric goals) and that's totally a valid choice. However, don't let someone tell you you're only going to lose 2 lbs/mo with the band. I lost 90 lbs in the first 6 months and 170 lbs in the first year. That's quite comparable to RNY numbers and I'm certainly not the only one.

The best advice I can give you is to find a surgical team who believes in the band. Follow-up care is essential to being a successful bandster and you need a practice that gives you fills whenever you need them and listens to you and treats you as a partner in your aftercare. If you go to a practice that doesn't have a lot of band experience or doesn't believe in the band, they may withhold fills from you (i.e. "you have to wait 6 weeks between fills" or "you can't have a fill if you've lost X lbs in the last month), which may cause a slower loss.

Of course, speed isn't everything. All I'm saying is find the right practice for you. From your description, I don't think you've found it yet.

Good luck!

Hi Kittyhorse,

I have to chime in with everyone else (Julie and me are practically twins!!). I have had 1 fill, 8 weeks post op and have not had any since then. I am slowing down in my weight loss now, but ... I reached my first goal and am working hard towards my second goal. I also added exercise. I am in a 10 km race this weekend, which is amazing considering my weight last year at this time.

So... believe in the power of your dreams... and use the tools available to support those dreams.

Dawn

Banded April 4, 2006

358/176/165

Exercise sessions this month = 1... darn that pulled hamstring!!!!

Don't let the doctor discourage you. He's giving you a tool and you can use it to the best of your ability. My surgeon says I have lost as quickly as any patient he's had with a lapband. I am 13 months out and have averaged 10 pounds a month...I'm not losing that fast now but that has been my average. Right now I'm losing about a pound a week. I have probably lost more quickly than some because 1) I weighed more than some people.....fat goes fast in the beginning. 2) I have been very compiant - I eat by the same rules that the RNY people eat by.

Gastic Bypass is good for about 18 months; after that time, you are on your own. The LapBand is with you and functioning forever - even if you backslide you can start all over and it will still do its job.

Hello,

I'm not banded yet, but this is a good question. I've heard that after 5 years the results are comparable to RNY weightloss. I believe this has already been wrong as it depends on the individuals, but the good thing is the weight comes off slower, and if you excercise, you have a good chance of firming as you lose. You can not do this with RNY. You can't firm as fast as your body is losing the weight.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I have heard.

Lynette

Lynette--I think you are right about that. I definately think that you have to exercise as you lose to prevent all that sagging skin. It's just not healthy to lose it that fast anyway. The key is exercise!(This from someone who was a total couch potato before, but now works out at least 6 days a week)

Average weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week, AFTER you are properly restricted. It is indeed much slower than RNY but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing IMO.

Dr. Trace Curry - Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band Surgeon :: Home

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

My weight loss has been an average of 2 lbs a week. I have lost about 54 lbs in a year. I would say 2 lbs a month is a little low. You can count on 1-2 lbs a week. You shouldn't compare yourself to those who lose 10 lbs a month because you can be someone like me. In any case, I am very happy with my weight loss to date and I would get banded again. Its a great tool, but you need to put the work into it. Right now I am upping my exercise so that is really helping me. Julie