Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love to hear peoples experience with reflux post op. I had controlled reflux pre op, but I am three weeks out with horrific reflux now. I've heard "you're still early, it will get better". And I've also heard that if its not better by now, things aren't very promising. Just wondering about others thoughts/experiences. Thanks!!

Just a couple of more things.... I did have a hiatal hernia repaired during surgery and I was aware of the risk of reflux getting worse. My surgeon felt I was a good candidate and I trusted him.

I didn't have any before but I do now ( well as of last time I checked/missed a dose of med) I may not have it now (3 months out) but I'm afraid to not take it since I woke up and choked on acid ( very unpleasant experience) I may try to not take it at 6 months but as of now every morning!!

My story is identical to yours. My acid reflux was well controlled pre-op. I also had hiatal hernia repair with VSG. My reflux returned with a vengeance at 2 weeks post-op. I woke up nightly with acid literally pouring out of my nose and mouth. Ended up dehydrated and readmitted. All I can tell you is that mine has finally subsided - around week 12 post-op I began to notice a difference. I still take my Nexium and Prilosec OTC religiously. I still have some reflux at night if I eat too late or eat too much later in the day.

The NUT who runs my support group told me that it can take up to 6 months post-op for the reflux to resolve. Hopefully you'll start showing improvement soon.

My story is identical to yours. My acid reflux was well controlled pre-op. I also had hiatal hernia repair with VSG. My reflux returned with a vengeance at 2 weeks post-op. I woke up nightly with acid literally pouring out of my nose and mouth. Ended up dehydrated and readmitted. All I can tell you is that mine has finally subsided - around week 12 post-op I began to notice a difference. I still take my Nexium and Prilosec OTC religiously. I still have some reflux at night if I eat too late or eat too much later in the day.

The NUT who runs my support group told me that it can take up to 6 months post-op for the reflux to resolve. Hopefully you'll start showing improvement soon.

That makes me hopeful. I realize that my situation may not turn out like yours, but fingers crossed. My drs office seems pretty concerned also. They've already mentioned sending me to GI dr and another surgery was casually mentioned at last appt. Not a revision to bypass, but an adjustment to the hernia repair. Not quite sure what that entails. I do not want another surgery and absolutely don't want to be back on liquid diet. We will see...... ????

My reflux was not controlled before surgery. I didn't take anything regularly because none of the roughly 278 prescriptions they tried me on did any good. Since I was sleeved and had hernia repaired, I take 20 mg of generic omeprazole daily and haven't felt a single bit of reflux. If I can eventually stop taking it, great. If not, that's great too. It's still light years better than it was before.

I had reflux/heartburn inconsistently before surgery and it was definitely related to my weight back then. I yoyo dieted a lot and when I was at my lower weights, the reflux went away, but at higher weights, it was more persistent. Post-op I was prescribed 40mg omeprazole for the first two months with the instruction to discontinue it after that. I was off of it less than a week and was miserable, so my doctor had me start taking the OTC dose of 20mg per day. That kept things in check for a while, but within the last week or two (right around the 5 month mark) I found I needed to start taking a second pill every day to keep things under control. So now I am taking one in the morning and one before bed and that seems to be going alright.

PS: I'm now well below the weight I was at during my acid-free phases pre-op, so it seems that my current acid issues are definitely related to my sleeve and not my weight.

Edited by JamieLogical

I also had hernia repair with my sleeve. GERD got WAY worse for the first month. Omeprazole 2x day and raising the head of my bed the first month helped. Once the swelling subsided, so did my symptoms. As the weight came off, they got even better. Still on the xbid PPI but no symptoms after the first couple months post op.

I also had hernia repair with my sleeve. GERD got WAY worse for the first month. Omeprazole 2x day and raising the head of my bed the first month helped. Once the swelling subsided, so did my symptoms. As the weight came off, they got even better. Still on the xbid PPI but no symptoms after the first couple months post op.

I sure hope my story plays out the same way. Glad you're better ????

Can you start to corelate the foods you eat and which cause bad reflux? I just can't drink wine now or I reflux like crazy.... there are a lot of good articles on reflux and gerd with the foods to avoid. Makes a difference.