Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer lap-band friendly foods

I'm looking for foods that can be served cold/chilled for my daughters graduation party that are lap-band friendly. I was going to do a cold shrimp platter but found the shrimp are smaller then expected, any other ideas? I would like to have all finger type foods but have seemed to hit a blank wall when it comes to ideas. Mind you I have aprox 75 people coming and only myself to prepare items. If I could find things I could prepare ahead would be great. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just fix what you don't like . Things your guests would like but you can take it or leave it. Just a suggestion.

Promise it gets easier. I am not tempted by anything anymore. Eating now is like brushing my hair and teeth each day.

edie

Veggie trays usually offer something we can eat. We also make pinwheels---roll ups. Using cream cheese, and various chiles, cheese, deli meats, etc. spread onto a very thin flour tortilla, rolled up and sliced. I can eat them, without problem...it is when I add liquid type things to the flour tortillas I have problems!!!

Crackers & cheese are easy for bandsters to eat usually.

In the frozen foods section you can find frozen rolled tacos, mini tacos, mini burritos, etc. All quick & easy to heat, we cut the rolled tacos into 2-3 pieces, so they are easy to dip, and eat. We make a queso dip for them.

Not finger food, but easy for serving, without fuss---pulled pork BBQ for sandwiches. It is easy for others to eat, grab a bun, make a sandwich---for us skip the bun.

We do all of these for our Superbowl parties!

Cold --- you could have a variety of salads, like a bowl of chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, and have them all on ice, offer, a variety of crackers, add ons (olives, pickles), lettuce leaves, so they could roll it up.

Melon is ok, if I eat is slow, and only a little bit of it. It is like eating and drinking together, and sometimes makes me feel like I am going to PB---but it never happens!!! It just causes a similar feeling.

As for the shrimp being small, get some decorative long toothpicks, like they use to spear a burger....you can get them at a restaurant supply store, and make mini kabobs---spear a few together on the pick...would look nice and festive too!

Play some happy music, have everything ready in advance... recruit some help if possible, and enjoy yourself!!! Take lots of pictures!!

Kat

Here are a few ideas:

Fresh fruit salad or Fruit Kabobs with a Yogurt Cream cheese Dip

Veggie Tray with Low Fat Dip

Assorted cheese and meat Tray

Steamed Asparagus Spears Wrapped with Low Fat Boiled Ham

Flat bread Wraps With Shredded Veggies, Lowfat meats, and LF Cr. Cheese

Devilled eggs made with lowfat mayo and herbs

Antipasto salad with Assorted Veggies

Small Cream Puff Shells filled with chicken or tuna salad or for dessert low fat low sugar pudding with fresh strawberries

I guess that is all I can think of for now. Have a great time at your party but don't forget to pace yourself so you won't get too tired.

OMGosh you guys have such good ideas, I guess in all the bustle of the last few days I just can't seem to think. Thanks for the help and excellent ideas. Part of the reason I was looking for band friendly foods was so that any leftovers could be kept and eaten later by all, including me.I haven't really COOKED since surgery. I knew I could count on my friends on this forum to give me a hand.

Hi April,

I hope they are helpful to you. You always have a friend at lapbandtalk.com or you can pm me. Take care.

Michelle