Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band and the super-obese?

Greetings friends,

I've been very overweight my entire life. A couple of years ago I looked into RNY bypass surgery after my brother had it done and lost 200 pounds. Unfortunately my insurance would not cover it in any way, shape, or form, so that was that. I was talking with a family member the other day and was told they would cover the cost of the Lap Band surgery, so I've begun to explore that as an option. It's given me a little bit of hope back, which is nice. :confused:

The question I have deals with the Lap Band and the severly obese. I'm at 600 pounds with a BMI of 77, but otherwise healthy (bp, blood work, all fine). Is the Lap Band a viable option for me? Is there anyone on the boards with such a high BMI or that has lost 100's of pounds?

Any words of wisdom or encouragement are appreciated...

Thanks!

<p>Hi Cascavel,</p> <p> </p> <p>I believe there is a thread here for folks with a BMI over 50 and also folks above 300 lbs. I think their thread is aiming for the 200's or something like that. I hope you find some answers here as this is a great group.</p>

I know my surgeon operates on people with high BMIs and I would suggest you "let your fingers do the walking" and call a few of the surgeons in your area. Most have PAs or NPs working with them to answer these questions. Best of luck to you.

hi my name is fay and i was banded on january 2. 2007.

the first month i lost 25 lbs and had my first fill on february 28th, 2nd fill april 4th and the third on may 7th. in all i have only lost about 31 lbs. is normal i am begining to think that the surgery was just a waste of time and money is anyone out there feeling the same way?

Cascavel- I think the thread is called Super-sized bandsters or something. Hopefully you can find the answers to your questions there.

Fay- You really didn't give enough information for us to help you. 31 pounds in 5 months sounds pretty darn good to me! That is 6 pounds a month. You should expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week, so you are on the right track. What is your fill level? What was your starting weight? Are you exercising? Did you have comorbidities at the time of surgery? Only you can decide if the band was a waste of time and money for you. I hope you begin to feel better about your weight loss and the band.

Greetings friends,

I've been very overweight my entire life. A couple of years ago I looked into RNY bypass surgery after my brother had it done and lost 200 pounds. Unfortunately my insurance would not cover it in any way, shape, or form, so that was that. I was talking with a family member the other day and was told they would cover the cost of the Lap Band surgery, so I've begun to explore that as an option. It's given me a little bit of hope back, which is nice. :o

The question I have deals with the Lap Band and the severly obese. I'm at 600 pounds with a BMI of 77, but otherwise healthy (bp, blood work, all fine). Is the Lap Band a viable option for me? Is there anyone on the boards with such a high BMI or that has lost 100's of pounds?

Any words of wisdom or encouragement are appreciated...

Thanks!

I feel as though it was worth it. My BMI was in in the higher numbers also. I was banded on May 2 2007 and I have already lost 32lbs. So I saygo for it and There is a thread that is for those who have lost over a hundred pounds. Also there is a lady on there named Illade she lost 376lbs with band Mabe knowing that will help incourage you GOOD LUCK:D

Hi Cascavel, I just wanted to say that I think you are so brave to consider getting this done. I think there was a young lady who posted on this board once who weighed originally 500 pounds, and had lost 200 pounds I believe. Does anybody remember her name? She did a whole picture montage to show her transformation.

Anyway, I wish you well and hope that banding will be the right choice for you.

Susannah

I went to my Dr. Friday for 2nd fill. A lady in waiting area showed pics. She had been 478 lbs. She is down and now weighs 258. She was banded in late 2005. She was estatic! Health had improved dramatically. Good luck with your seach for what is right for you!

Well I won't talk BMI I'll just tell you I started at 375. I know when you are 500+ pounds you probably think "I wish I was 375". That's how I view those in the 200's.

The best advice I saw was let your fingers do the walking. Call, ask. Be persistant. There is hope. That you chose that word is moving because it is precisely the same word used by myself when describing the Lap Band process.

My best to you.

Another biggy.

Patty