Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Surgery Date Scheduled

I just ordered a sample pack of Protein Drinks from Unjury because they seem to be a favorite by many. I just ran out if my coffee creamer and that's it. I quit. I only drink a cup a day anyway and it's more about the time spent with my husband, watching the morning news with our coffee than about the caffeine. I'm officially switching to herbal tea tomorrow morning. I drink that a lot anyway. As for my co-workers, I didn't tell any of them. I do not feel like telling my story over and over and I don't want to open myself up to negative opinions. Not going there with co-workers. My mom, my husband, my sons, and my best friend know. Period...the people who I know have my back.

Kim,

Not glad for your fears, but glad to see someone voicing some of my same concerns that I have wrestled with during my pre-op months. To answer your big question...I think it's a big YES, it's completely normal. This is a major life change. I will comment on each of your fears as you listed them. I hope it will help to give you some peace of mind or at least something to think about.

1. the right decision? -I personally feel confident in my decision because I know that it is the change that will enable me to regain the health (#1), energy, and self-confidence that will make the rest of my life so much better. I f you are at this point in the process, I suspect that you made your decision for similar reasons and I think it's something we have to keep in the front of our mind everyday, to give us strength and motivation. Keep your eye on the prize, so to speak.

2. scared of foods that you will miss out on certain foods....I have to say I still wonder, myself, how I will feel when faced with certain old favorites. I have spoken to people in my local support group who have said that they no longer crave the same foods at all. I'm hoping that this is the case. maybe we can muddle through this one together. ??

3. scared for pain - Not worried about this one. This is my 3rd surgery in 2 years (gallbladder and incisional hernia were my others). The pain is temporary and easily managed with meds. I don't know what your experience with surgery is, but don't let this one worry you too much.

4. scared of not getting enough Protein - At my most recent appointment with my dietician, she outlined the post-op dietary progression, complete with examples and daily schedules. This helped clarify a lot of my concerns with how this will all play out. She made this document herself and it's an excellent guide. I would be glad to email it to you if you'd like. Also, do you currently use Myfitnesspal app to track your food? If not, I recommend it. It makes tracking so much easier.

5. me too! I know it won't all fall out. It just doesn't...it might thin out though. My cousin had this happen to her. I personally couldn't even "see" the difference in her hair. I could feel it, only because I cut her hair. She didn't love it because at the time she wondered what the extent would be. It was temporary though. Not sure how long....6-9 mod? I forget. She's back to thick, beautiful hair and I'll bet none ever noticed anything different. I hope to be as fortunate.

6. My number 1 fear!!!! My nutritionist and doctor both said that the elasticity of your skin is largely genetic. Age and amount of time overweight and how much does play a part as well. They told me that exercise and toning definitely helps, but no way to totally control it, as far as what I've learned. Let's just pray for the best.

7. That's a really personal one and I think it depends on the degree to which your weight shaped your personality.

Bottom line.... your fears are completely normal. Just keep in mind how much better off you will be and how worth it all the work is. For me, when I compare what life would be like going on the way I am, and what life could be life with the surgery....there's no contest. I'm ready!

Good luck to you!!

Would you be willing to email me what your NUT gave to you? :)

Absolutely. Not sure how to do it through here though. Can you give me your email and I'll scan it and send it to you.

Barb

Absolutely. Not sure how to do it through here though. Can you give me your email and I'll scan it and send it to you.

Barb

Me too Me too!!