Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 1-16 - Learning Day by Day

I had my surgery on 1-16, Friday, and came home on Sunday. Really I think I healed quite well and quickly. I saw my Surgeon on 2-3 for my first check up and was down 30 lbs from the first day I met him on December 30th. Yes, I was a happy camper!

Luckily someone at our local support group mentioned Bariatric Pal. I've been here daily since, this is my first post. From the day of my two week checkup until today I hadn't lost a single pound. My Surgeon did ok me to move to chewable foods because I was doing so well, but I'm still only eating 3 smalls meals, no more than 3 ounces each and no Snacks, no Protein Drinks. I was really freaking out about not loosing, how can you consume so little and not loose at all. That's when I started searching the forums here and found I wasn't nearly as unique as I thought I was, many here had already had and bypassed the 3 week stall. It doesn't make the frustration leave entirely but it sure helped know others walked my walk and this too would change. Today, after seven days of nothing and I'm finally down another pound, I think perhaps this will be my turning point for this stall anyway.

I've had a couple of episodes with the food, both Saturday and Sunday I was sick, but I think I figured out the culprits and if any of you have had a reaction to food and had it come up instead of going down, you'll know as I do, you don't want to repeat it if at all possible.

My only other problem was I was okay'd to go back to the gym, even the weights as long as I did them light and slow. We went Monday and I overdid. I walked the treadmill for 30 minutes, rested, had Water and then did a couple of the machines before the room started swimming. I had to take the elevator to the main floor with help on both sides of me so I didn't pass out. Not a good feeling at all. I guess a little goes a long ways, this was scary! The Doctor's office called yesterday to reschedule my next appt and in the course of the conversation I confessed my little bumps along my new path. She connected me to the sweetest nurse, Jessica, who says, are you on BP medicine? Have you taken your BP? Well start today and keep a record that might be part of it along with overdoing.

This is such a learning process! Every day I learn something more and I love this website, love all the information I glean from all that have gone before me. I don't regret having the surgery for one moment these are just little hiccups and I'll get through them. After all this is forever so a little snag here and there is nothing!

Losing weight and major surgery can do a real number on us physically. Not to worry, your symptoms sounds normal and you did the right thing by checking in with your medical staff. Cheers to your new tummy! Keep healing well.