Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eharmony SUCKS! Class action lawsuit underway!

Harold Ford, Jr. was the Democratic senate candidate for Tennessee this past November. He's African American and the Republicans ran racist ads against him in the race (one had a white woman saying that he was sexy). They got heavily scolded for it and stopped running the ads, but the ads did their damage.

Yup, that's their M.O. I'm sorry to know that it happened to someone in your state. I always hold out hope that the public sees through that crap. But the fact is, most people want to believe the worst about people. The arse-holes plant a lie in with something that is actually true and it is almost impossible to fix the damage it does.

Here's what Wikipedia had to say about the whole thing.

In October 2006, as polls indicated that Ford maintained a slight lead[citation needed] in the Senate race against Bob Corker, the Republican Party ran a television
wherein a blonde white woman, played by Johanna Goldsmith, talks about meeting Ford, who is unmarried, at "the Playboy party."[36] The ad was denounced by many people, including former Republican Senator William Cohen, who called it “a very serious appeal to a racist sentiment.” Corker himself asked the Republican leadership to pull the ad, which it refused to do. Corker subsequently pulled ahead in the polls and went on to defeat Ford in the November election.[37] [38]

The sad part is that he probably would have won if they hadn't run that ad.

One word: Homophobia. It's a hold over from years and years of men being scared to death that gay men are going to hit on them, I guess. I mean nothing else makes any sense to me. Of course that is an extremely ignorant thought process, but what else is there?

All this talk about gays not being allowed to marry is another stupid, stupid issue. When you confront those who argue against it, and ask why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, they come up with all manner of bogus reasons, like higher health insurance premiums because of AIDS, etc. Right wingers will narrow-mindedly argue that God didn't create Adam and Adam, He created Adam and Eve. Boggles the mind, doesn't it.

Sometimes the stupidity in this country makes me want to cry. If Americans don't get rid of this administration in the next elections, I am clearly in the wrong country.

Oh, straight men and homophobia! It is a weird and powerful thing. I remember talking to this very unattractive guy while I was still in university and he started rabbitting on about how he wouldn't like to be around gay men for fear that they would hit on him.:phanvan I wanted to say to him, "look, you're ugly and you're boring. What makes you think that anyone is gonna hit on you? Of course I didn't. I explained that gay men showed the same kind of courtesy and restraint as straight men and that he was being homophobic."

I have always hung with gay friends and so any men with whom I have had romantic relationships have ended up by getting over any initial homophobia which they may have had. My husband marched in a Pride parade a few years ago and then went to his macho workplace - he builds aircraft and works on the floor - and told the guys about it.

The legitimacy of common-law unions have been recognised up here in Canada for a long, long time. Sometime ago a few long term gay couples challenged and won recognition for the legitimacy of their common-law unions. This meant that same-sex couples had the right to survivor benefits, and to company family benefits such as dental, insurance, and drug plans. These rights were recognised a few years before the issue of same-sex marriage was introduced into public debate.

As seems to be happening in the States, some provinces legalised same-sex marriage before it became a federal initiative but once these provinces had given their approval to same-sex marriage the feds quickly devised a bill. At the time there was considerable public debate. Some folks claimed that this would "ruin" marriage for the rest of us. I never did understand the logic behind that argument. Now that the bill is law the formerly contentious issue is a non-issue for most Canadians. I don't know what our military thinks of homosexual soldiers, though.

Lets divide the country into regions - homophobes, confederate flag flyers and war lovers on one side, the rest of us on the other. One can dream, no? But I guess for now I'm gonna have to see the good in my neighbor. That's the age old challenge, right?

Lets divide the country into regions - homophobes, confederate flag flyers and war lovers on one side, the rest of us on the other. One can dream, no?

They tried that already in 1861. Sometimes I think it's a pity they didn't win. But then again, I am against slavery so in that regard it's better they didn't.

But only in that regard.

Lets divide the country into regions - homophobes, confederate flag flyers and war lovers on one side, the rest of us on the other. One can dream, no? But I guess for now I'm gonna have to see the good in my neighbor. That's the age old challenge, right?

After the last election they kinda did: Jesusland map - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was amused by the United States of Canada but you will also see Jesusland. The commentary is quite amusing. Mexico City is referred to as The People's Republic of Mexico City. Enjoy. ;)

sweethot143

it's a civil rights issue.

No one said the black people couldn't have Water, they just needed to get it from a different fountain.

Dear Green, Thanks for clueing me in to the map - I love it. Yes, after that last election I had one foot out of this country, but I'm glad I stayed. There's too much natural beauty here to just give away to the "christian" fundamentalists. And speaking of which, my one problem with the Jesusland map is they get the Rocky Mountains. Too much beauty! They won't appreciate it as much as us sinners will, with our pagan, Earth-worshiping (conservationist) tendencies. I vote they only get the deep south and parts of the Midwest, and let them have Texas, of course, but I think Austin will secede to our side. Okay, as for E-Harmony, I have to say I am not against straight people congregating in a no gay zone, as long as they do it nonviolently. Personally, it looks like a site way too, well, straight for my artistic, beautiful gay friends. I don't think a lawsuit is the way to go. Why perpetuate more negativity in this world? It's like - why would a guy want to work at Hooters, a place that subjectifies women? Why not instead work at a restaurant with better food and better treatment of their staff? So same issue, why would a gay person want to enter an unworthy institution like eHarmony? ...But I respect the fight.

soon to be-

You're funny.

I get what you are saying about negativity. I certainly don't want to be bothered with this particular fight. But there is a time and a place when you need to fight back. I'm guessing those filing the law suit feel such a need at this time.

Yeah them!

laurend: Sadder still is the fact that the lousy, stinking, dishonest, jerks concocted that ad and ran it and even got away with it!

Just my 2 cents. I think it would be discrimination if E-harmony refused to let portions of the society join at all. That would be wrong. But I also think its wrong to tell a company what kind of service or product they "have" to offer

If I open a restaurant that only serves beef and cater's to beef eaters, would vegetarians have the right to sue?

I am not saying they cant come in and drink something but I am not going to offer a veggie platter just to suit them.

I think it is wrong for the government to step in and tell a private business who they have to have a clientel. If a business suffers due to who they are not servicing, then that is the way capitalism works. Eharmony is not the only service that offers match-ups.

There have been some lawsuits against some work out establishments for women only where men want to come work out there. I think that is wrong. It is the same thing. It is a business that caters to a specific customer base.

I also support xxx(insert group) only work out places, xxx only clubs and xxx only what ever else you can think of.

Oh and the military thing, listening to a commander at a base talk, he said that for the most part, he does not care who is what. What he did say is that where the problem lies is similar to why women and men are not in the same unit. As humans who have needs and desires and attraction, the military frowns on any kind of romantic relationship within the ranks. You should be willing to fight as a unit and protect eachother equally. And if it gets down to brass tacks, are you going to try to save your mortally wounded romantic partner on the battlefield or a less wounded platoon companion?

Most times, you try to save the ones you love over your "just a friend".

Love does not help you think straight, especially in the heat of the moment.