Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cross-Country Skiing

For the past 5 months my weekly routine has been:

- 2 days spin class

- 2 days running/elliptical

- 2 days weight training

My standing heart rate is 48 and I feel like I'm in better physical condition than any time in my life. So I decided to mix things up and take a lesson in cross-country skiing Sunday.

Wow, what a workout!! Did a 1.5 hour lesson and then skied 3 miles afterward. I think I found my new favorite form of exercise. Highly recommended.

Any cross-country skiers out there?

I am learning to downhill ski and havent been cross country in years. unfortunately, I picked the year that the mountains near seattle have no snow. :( so my plans have been dashed so far by weather!

Anyway, excellent workout and isnt it wonderful to be able to do this stuff now??? :)

I am learning to downhill ski and havent been cross country in years. unfortunately, I picked the year that the mountains near seattle have no snow. :( so my plans have been dashed so far by weather!

Anyway, excellent workout and isnt it wonderful to be able to do this stuff now??? :)

Yes, CGJ, it is wonderful to be able to do activities like this. One-by-one, I'm trying sports that I'd not done since childhood and it never ceases to amaze me when I do it with ease.

I've not reconnected with downhill skiing yet, but have done quite a bit of that in my younger days. I'm in the Boston area and have a downhill ski resort nearby, so perhaps that will be next. Also, plenty of snow up here this year ...

I didn't grow up in a family that "did things" like skiing. We worked. We had a farm, were quite poor etc.

Then, due to obesity and family committments - I never really did alot of this stuff as a young adult either.

I date now and I often get questioned because I am starting up stuff that most people my age have the good sense to be reducing/stopping doing (skiing!, steep hikes etc). In the last two years I have been learning to ski, shoot a gun, hike difficult hikes, kayak, other boating, swing dancing, etc. I am hoping to take a try at golf and take more dancing lessons this year. I just want to try things, and maybe get to a basic skill level. This year I am also planning on doing some "adventure travel" and will try zip lining and the things that go with that.

I am taking advantage of the freedom that being single gives me to sample some of the things obesity cheated me out of!

And dang, yes, MA has the snow this year! We normally have snow in the mountains but it has been super mild and warm so the skiing is awful here this season.

Wow, zip lining? That's adventurous!!

I'm venturing into many new activities too and reviving many from my younger days.

However, I'm having difficulty finding friends that want to cross country ski and/or play hockey. While most of my friends are in descent shape, it seems like they're all either injured, too lazy, or avoiding the colder weather. I guess we're getting older and that comes with the territory, but I have more energy than I've had in 30 years.

It's much easier to get them out golfing and fishing in the summer months.

Well it is hard to find people who want to do this stuff at age 50. Frankly, especially men people. I have several middle aged gal pals finally free of mom duty etc that wanna take on the world whilst their hubbies make a dent in the lazy boy.

What I have done is find activity partners through meetup groups. Also have just adequate new friends last few years

Saturday, I did a spin class in the morning and then xc skied 3 miles in the afternoon. Really felt that on Sunday morning.

It's -7 this morning and I'm planning to go skiing this afternoon. Scheduled for spin class tonight. :)

CGJ, I've been looking around for xc ski clubs but can't find any in my area. Plenty of downhill ski clubs and several friends are into that.

I also want to get into mountain-biking this Summer, but my friends that are into cycling stay on the roads. I have 15 miles of mountain-top bike trails near my house, but have been warned to not go up there alone as the conditions are rough. I biked up there 35 years and it was rough. I'm told it's now 10 times worse.

@@CowgirlJane I'm in MA, how has meetup been for you? I'll have to look into it for the spring. I went zip-lining for my 50th birthday. It was so flipping FUN! You should definitely do it!!!! There was a couple with us that where in their late 60's. They were a hoot!

Edited by FinallyFit50s

I don't live in MA, but travel there for biz. Meetups are very local, you just have to search for one.