Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Time Tomorrow I'll Be Banded For Life!!

Hello everyone:

First of all thank you for all your kind wishes. I am finally banded and after a day of groggyness I am now feeling somewhat normal and ready to tackle the next hurdle in my journey...the liquid diet....can anyone tell me whether we are allowed to have coffee/tea the first week post-surgery? Furthermore, the initial package I received at Dr. Yao's clinic says to stay on clear fluids for 4 days, but the package I got after my procedure says one week. Anybody else see this discrepancy?

I cannot believe how good I feel this morning. I haven't taken any pain medication yet! :o

A big thank you to all the ladies in the waiting room at Dr. Yau's clinic on the morning of June 01 who kept my mother company and put up with her limited knowledge of English and patiently explained to her what a good thing this band was. For those of you who were there she was the Italian lady.

Hello everyone:

First of all thank you for all your kind wishes. I am finally banded and after a day of groggyness I am now feeling somewhat normal and ready to tackle the next hurdle in my journey...the liquid diet....can anyone tell me whether we are allowed to have coffee/tea the first week post-surgery? Furthermore, the initial package I received at Dr. Yao's clinic says to stay on clear fluids for 4 days, but the package I got after my procedure says one week. :o

Marcar....welcome to the wild side! I was banded on 5/31, and so I'm recouperating, too! Just wanted to answer some of your questions according to my Dr. (and all Doctors are different, so call your office if you have real concerns)

I'm supposed to be on a clear liquid diet for SEVEN days that include:

coffee :)

TEA :)

broth

low-sugar juice

sugar-free popsicles

skim milk and Protein shakes have been a discrepancy on my paperwork

sugar free Jello

No carbonated drinks

Take small sips and go slowly...avoid gulping

I have enjoyed coffee both mornings post-op, today moreso than yesterday!

HTH and Congrats to you!!!!

---Toni

Thank you ToniTeach. I did have some tea this morning I just wasn't sure if I could. I'll call the clinic on Monday to find out. In the meantime I'll stick to what's listed. Hope your recuperation period is going well.

LeslieLee - how are you doing?

Ok Marcar I need details..im in this week and the nerves are out!

I hope you are well and look forward to ur postings!

Hello Miranda:

Believe me I was really nervous (I've never had any type of surgery before) and not knowing what to expect made my fears appear bigger than life. I entered the clinic and everyone did their best to calm me down. Needless to say all my stressing raised my blood pressure and my body temperature. Dr. Yau came in to speak to me and he alleviated most of my fears. When the anesthetician came in he alleviated the rest of my fears. I asked him if he had any complications arise from the anaesthetic and he said that yes he had some but based in my being essentially healthy he did not anticipate any issues. He then went on to explain that if I caused him complications he would have to fill so much paper work that it really wasn't worth it (LOL). He had me laughing all the way to the OR. Didn't get a chance to thank the staff as they were very busy but I did appreciate everything they did for me. When do you go in and which clinic are you using? Best of luck to you.

Hi Marcar!

Thanks for the reassuring words. You know I have to say my worry is not the actual surgery. What keeps on my mind almost all the time is the permancy. I know thats what we want but its scary. Like to never be able to have a "girls pig out night" again makes me kinda sad.

I was out with my sister yesterday and she was eating a Flaky (nice support eh? :rolleyes: and she said "so is it not going to frustrated you that you will never be able to have a whole meal if you go to a restaurtant again?" I thought after she said that "hell ya it will". Like that must be soooooo frustrating all the time!!!! Like you want to eat something and you just cant really.

But then the other side of me says "well this is the point of it all"

Like this is a decesion that will effect the rest of my life. Thats major for me.

Of course I am still going to do this. I am looking forward to it, but theres soo much on my mind right now that I have to work on

My surgery date is June 7/07 at TLBC with Dr.Yau.

Hello Miranda:

Yes, the permanency of the band is daunting. But look at it this way, you'll look and feel great and it will all be worth it! The old way you could pig out but you still remained a big girl. This is what I kept telling myself from the time I booked the surgery right through the blasted cottage cheese diet and even today (day 2 post-op) when I'm starting to get hunger pains. With the band we will not be able to eat as much...so what? Kathy at the TLBC clinic told me that if you wanted a break from the weight loss you could have some of the fill removed until you were ready to resume. Personally, this is great news for me since I do a cruise once a year and I would hate to be sick while on a cruise ship. So when I do my cruise I will have a little of the fill removed so I can enjoy my vacation. That period will be my controlled indulging time....

Take care of yourself, think positive thoughts and your surgery day well arrive before you know it!

One thing to think of, is the band helps change your relationship with food. I TOTALLY know where you're coming from. I too think it will be weird not eating socially...but now i'm accepting it. I am NOT at the stage where i am feeling it personally, but i've read tons of people who say that 1-2 years down the road or whatever, the cravings for whatever they used to eat is gone. Like for example mcdonalds, once you eat real food, get full easily, you realise what garbage it is. Im guilty here, so hopefully i will get the same results. But yeah,thats why i think the band is right for me, at least you can still eat regular food (and when you meet dr. Yau thats what he tells you to do). I dont see this as a replacement for willpower, but more as a tool that helps me feel full...something that i guess i either ate out of, or that i never had. The point is not to deprave yourself, but to enjoy food, in a much lower quantity which is sufficient nutritionnally.

Hi: The words "pig out" should make you stop and think. How many times have you been out socially, pigged out and seen people starring at you. If you have those thoughts, Just think of the stares as you eat even reasonable. The stare almost seems to be saying "why are you eating, you don't need it", holier than thou stare, if you know what I mean. I am so proud when I sit down to a meal and have to stop at 1/2 to 1 cup of food. I am full and I laugh and tell my DH well that was one pig out. I am so proud that I am down from a 5X to a 26. Know what, I don't give a damn about pigging out anymore. I get my jollies from seeing the scale go down. Good luck in your decision whatever it might be. Doddie

You guys are all so right. Oh the decesion has already been made. The surgery is June 7/07. I am ready! These are just little thoughts that kinda just creep up on ya.

After this surgery I will be full speed ahead on getting to my goal weight. Its going to take along time I know. Actually reading Yodas journal is very reassuring to me and I am not even at her stage. I guess to be prepared for weeks of not losing weight, etc.

As we all know when we did the million other diets we expected to see that scale move every week..then major disapointment when we didnt.

I just think..if I cant do this pre op so easy then I can really do anything when it comes to food wise...now ask me in a few weeks into post op and I may not be so confident...joke :myscared:

Doddie63 you are so right in what you are saying and I hope I will be able to stop at 1 cup when I start on solid food. However, at this early stage as we look forward to a brighter future we cannot help looking back to the way it used to be. I do believe most of us who've had this long-term love-hate affair with food feels the same way.

Hi: You are right, it is easy to look back at how easy it was to gain weight try as we might not too until we gave up and ate what we liked. I still feel I am in early stages as I haven't yet had my 2nd fill. LOL, you WILL stop at one cup of food, no question, quaranteed. If you don't.....all in unison now........."Puke". Yes our love affair with food is strong, but so is genetics and whacky nerves that travel to brain to tell it we are still hungry five minutes after we have eaton. As yes, you can still have your love affair with the band. You can drink a lot of milkshakes eat a lot of "no no food", if you want to sabatogue(sp?) yourself. Before the band, all we had were the stares and comments that hurt. But the band is a friend that will remind you when to stop and it is nice to have "one cookie" with the cup of tea and not feel guilty. I can go on and on about the band, but even though the port has flipped and I must undergo more surgery to right it, I would never ever change my mind. Doddie