Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Refried Beans...why not??

So I told my doctor yesterday that I've been eating refried Beans. He told me that he'd rather I eat more challenging foods like chicken or tuna. He asked WHY I ate them and I said because it's the only food that keeps me full and satisfied for hours. Isn't that the point? They are 120 cals, 0 fat for 1/2 cup and 8 grams of protien. I thought that was good. Chicken and tuna are fine, but when I eat the beans..I don't snack as much. Should I just do what keeps me satisfied? I'm still eating chicken for dinner and tuna also. I eat the beans at lunchtime most days. Do you think they are slowing me down?? I'm losing slowly..43 pounds since Jan 30th. Who do I listen to??

Do youreally think 45lbs is a slow loss... wow you have high expectations... I think you are doing great. I did not have a lot of discussions with my doctor after the surgery about what to eat. I ate what I was compy with. If the Beans are not giving you gas or problems I say why not. But I am a rebel... so take what you will from me.

LOL! I guess it's not a slow loss..it just feeeels like it! I'm happy with my loss so far. No..the Beans give me no problems. I think they have helped me as far as hunger goes. So I should just keep doing what I'm doing...right?

I eat refried Beans quite often and never have a problem or had any comments from my doc. I find they go down easy have the Protein needed and if I'm on the road I can always find a Taco Bell or Wendys for chili. Now don't get me wrong I'm not telling you to go against your doctor, but like we all have found, everyone is different and doctors are different too. I have found that I really like the little tuna and salmon cups. They come in different flavors and are just enough.

I think most of the time doctors recommend the "hard" Proteins like tuna or chicken because they supposedly keep you full longer. For most people, Beans would get digested quicker because they are soft and you'd be hungry again sooner. But you say that does not happen, so this is apparently not an issue for you.

Another reason to stay away from refried Beans is because they are usually pretty high in fat the way they are made in restaurants. But you say the ones you use have 0 fat. You must have a fat-free brand because I think in general that is not the way they usually are.

So, the high fat issue is not relevant for you either. So, just from a non-medical, uneducated point of view, I can't think of any reason not to eat beans. I think most people agree that beans, in general, are heathy.

The last time I went to see my nutrisionist she told me to eat fat free refried Beans. I was worried that they were considered mushies and she she said no, they can be mushies but told me to keep eating them. I agree with you, they fill me up, but I eat more than 1/2 cup!! Deanna

Personally I dont notice any difference between hard Proteins and feeling full longer. I've never felt the feeling full longer effect of the band very much at all actually, the band works more for me by stopping me eating a lot at one time and that was my main problem, not being ridiculously hungry at all hours of the day. Whatever I eat, I fill up quickly, although of course a good meal containing Protein does satisfy for longer, if I eat just a yogurt for lunch, of course I will be hungrier sooner.

But I would consider refried Beans a good Protein source that would satisfy for a long time. They're amazingly healthy for you, Beans and are a GREAT thing for a bandster to eat because they satisfy two requirements at once - protein and fibre, which is so hard to get enough of.

I think if you get to the point of avoiding healthy foods like that, you're on the wrong track personally. I wouldnt listen to your doc on this one. Unless of course you found you were starving and picking all afternoon, which obviously you dont.

yes doctor smockter...do what makes you full.:);)

I happen to love refried Beans. For more protien I'll add a little bit of mozzeralla cheese and some Pace taco sauce for spice. This will keep me full without having to snack. My PA has said this is an acceptable meal if eaten in the right amounts

Well I can't see any reason to stay away from them either. I do eat the fat free Beans, so that's not an issue. I think he was saying that the chicken would stay in the pouch longer and the beans wouldn't. I'm more satisfied with the beans though. I'm not eating them everyday and if I do, it's just 1/2 cup at lunchtime. If I'm still losing..I'll keep the beans. Thanks for your opinions!!!

My cousin who is Mexican makes refried Beans by just mashing up a panful of beans. I don't see how they can be so full of fat if they are made like this. Maybe you should make your own. You just cook up a big pot of pinto beans with some bacon or ham, and them mash them up. That constitutes real Mexican refried beans. I don't know why they call them refried when they aren't fried at all.