Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need advice about salivating and gurgling!

Greeting fellow bandsters! I am 6 months post op and just had my 2nd fill. I had to search for another Doc. due to my surgeon having terrible aftercare services. Anyway, I just got my fill last week, and have been having SEVERE SALIVATING PROBLEMS AND GURGLING NOISES! These can be so embarrassing, as I have to go and spit in the sink or outside, or carry a cup to spit in. I can have 3-4 bites before filling full. Is this normal? Dont get me wrong... I am thrilled with my new weightloss, since losing 10 lbs in the last week. I was stuck and 40 lbs, and felt like a real failure for only losing this amount over 6 months. I am now at 50 and happy. Can anyone give me advice about my new symptoms? Are these abnormal, or will they just be a part of my new life? Thanks for your response! Take care ~ Bullit

Hi Bullit,

I think there's nothing wrong that a little behavior modification won't cure. :P

Your body is trying to ease the passage of your food by creating saliva and mucus lubrication. The only way to counter that is to eat even SMALLER bites and allow more time between them. Your 3-4 bites might indeed be enough food to fill your pouch if the food is still too large to pass through the stoma smoothly (if slowly). When something gets "stuck" there's nowhere for additional food to go but back up.

You'll get the hang of it, I promise. Just keep remembering that the stoma is the size of a pencil eraser and your pouch is the size of a child's fist. How's that for a coupla visual aids to help you take it slow? ;)

wow... thanks alexandria.... no one ever explained it that way...sounds like I am taking too big and too many of bites! Do you ever have the weird alien gurgling sounds? Thanks! Sheri

Sheri, gurgling in the esophagus? Yes, and I know everyone at the table can hear it, too. I think that's my sign that I've reached maximum capacity and not to take another bite!

I laughed as I read about the gurgling noises, I've noticed that I too have all that going on. I sound like a soda factory with all the bubbling, and gurgling going on, even when I'm NOT eating. I only do the salivating like that when I eat too fast or my food isn't well chewed. I've not "slimed or Pb'd" yet, but I've gotten uncomfortably close too it.

My signal that I'm full is a feeling of pain in my midchest. If I'm not careful to eat slow and chew well, this can happen in 2-3 bites. If I'm careful and eat slowly, I can usually take in a decent meal about a small child sized portion. Usually about 1 cup or so.

My biggest hurdle is learning not to drink with my meals, I find I want something to rinse my mouth as I eat, so not drinking anything during or after hasn't worked for me yet. I do limit to only a few sips, but everything I read says not drink to at all... I'm trying to get there.

Pam, it does take some practice to get that Water habit down! I usually drink a good amount of water right before I start eating. It helps moisten my throat. Then afterward eating, I go floss and brush my teeth and rinse my mouth out w/ water. Must have the healthiest teeth in town! But I just don't want to be walking around w/ broccoli stuck in my teeth or something. LOL