Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got banded in Springfield MO??

No date yet! I have my diet/exercise this Friday and next Thursday and I'm scheduled for the all day class on 7/23. I spoke with Mary yesterday and she said we are looking at around labor day if all goes well. She said my ins usually takes a month to review.

After my appt with Dr. Edwards last week I was really optimistic about this. He said he didn't see any reason it wouldn't be approved - he said "we'll get it approved." But, the last couple of days my positive attitude has not been so positive. I'm really afraid it will get denied. Of course I will exhaust all appeals, but that just seems endless at this point. Plus, I really want to have it done before the end of Dec. so that ins picks up most of it.

I considered self-pay, but that would be a big payment every month that I really can't afford right now. I'm thinking that if ins denies, after all appeals, I will just try to eat the way I would have to with the band. That probably isn't realistic for an unbanded person, but I'm tired of being this way!

Well, now that I have rambled...

Have a wonderful day everyone! I'm glad to see this group is picking up a little more.

Tabitha-

Keep a good thought, and I will do the same here for you.

I too have thought about what will happen if I can't have the banding,but will think about that, if I have to, later.

Sending positive thoughts you way, and believe it ewill happen for you.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

Lindao1:girl_hug:

Thanks Lindao1!! I tend to always think the worst so that I'm not too disappointed later, but this time I decided to try something different (positive thinking) so I'm out of my comfort zone. LOL :)

Got my first fill today. They gave me 3 in my VG band. He said it might be tight, but I feel good. So far only Water and Tomato Soup. Later tomorrow I can try a Protein Shake. Next day cottage cheese. :-) The fill was entirely uneventful, thanks goodness!

Tabitha-chinup! be positive and it will come...ins. always takes their time.

Linda-as self-pay they should be able to push you right through-I would be on the phone with Mary daily if needed.--no insurance to wait for!

legster- congrats on uneventful fill!! I guess everything looked fine to him? How much does a VG hold? After 3 fills, I have 2.2cc/ml in a band they said holds 5cc/ml.

Fyi............ His Office Suggests Getting A Fill Two Weeks Before Any "vacation" Or Travel.....or....wait Until After----- You Would Have To Come Back To The Office If There Is Vomiting Or Other Undesirable Issues To Be Dealt With. Even Emergency Rooms Will Not Give You Any "unfill" If Needed, And This Can Cause Slippage If It Goes Uncorrected Even For A Short Time. Keep This In Mind!

Yes, Mazie, I forgot to mention that he did come down to look at the Fluoroscope and said everything looked good. Woohooo! The waiting room for the fluoroscopy was like a casual support group! We were all just yakking it up! Fun!

Update on fill: I couldn't finish a cup of yogurt! I was hungry in a couple of hours, but I feel good about the fill. :-)

Hope the waiting room was positive.... just after memorial week end, there were several "unhappy" banded ladies there.... 2 had not lost 40# in over a year!!! They were both quite "unpleasant" to spend time with. After starting some discussion, they both did admit, to not following the general band rules.... like they both drink soda, drink before, after, and during meals....no exercise or very little......they waited till after the big BBQs to get a fill.... etc.... I hope your experience was more positive than that particular one of mine.

UPDATES please.... anyone hear from Mary? Got a firm date set yet?

mazie, it was mainly very positive, sharing tips on where we like to clothes shop in the area and what is good to eat. However, there were 2 women there who, like you say, drank soda and coffee and admitted to eating chips and chocolate because they "went down well". It was a good lesson on what not to do. One of them had been banded in Mexico, then went to a Kansas City Dr. who told her it was "unrealistic" to think his patients would not drink soda. So much for support from your Dr.!

Well, I'm a couple of steps closer. I had my appt with the nutritionist on Friday and I have an appt with exercise this coming Thursday...then it gets sent to ins! I have my all day class scheduled for 7/23 and then I just have to wait and see what happens with ins. My outlook as tuned in a positive direction again after meeting with the nutritionist - but still a bit skeptical.

Anyone else scheduled for behavior class on 7/23?

Tabitha---I was on my pre-op diet at the behavioral class! This may happen for you too......when did they guess for a date?

Legster--- how's the fill now? Good/bad? need another or going to wait? Any thing you can't eat yet?--- I just can't eat cashew chicken any more-- no matter how slow I eat, or how much I chew!!!

Linda--- Have you talked with Mary yet? any update?

Tabitha---I was on my pre-op diet at the behavioral class! This may happen for you too......when did they guess for a date?

Legster--- how's the fill now? Good/bad? need another or going to wait? Any thing you can't eat yet?--- I just can't eat cashew chicken any more-- no matter how slow I eat, or how much I chew!!!

Linda--- Have you talked with Mary yet? any update?

Hi Mazie and friends,

Going on four weeks no, believe that is correct, will give Mary a call Monday, tomorrow. in hopes they have started on my case.

Is it true that Dr. Hodges is gone and Dr. Edwards is only one doing banding in Springfield. (Read that somewhere) If that is the case it may be a long time before I get in. Sure hope not. Still waiting.

Linda-- it is my understanding that you are correct, about Dr.C. Hodges. There was only Dr. Edwards when I went for information back in Feb-2007,and surgery in early April.....I don't know what the circumstances were, but, no one is talking either.

It should not take long for you to get surgery, as self pay. I would try to gently, push things along... as there is no wait for insurance hoops to jump through. How far have you gotten with the process? Just paper work? Set up for diet/exercise consults? Psy. evaluation? CALL CALL CALL- but, be nice when you do..... after all he is the only doc in town to do this.

What BMI does every one have? Mine was almost 60!!!!OMG!!! now about52! Where are you all starting at.... is your current weight also your top weight? My top weight was 367#!! Boy did I need this band for help!! I just could not do it on my own.... the most I could lose at at time was <20#....and then gain 23-25# blah blah blah. Next thing you know 367# and feeling every pound of it!

GOOD LUCK AND HEALTH TO ALL OF YOU.

Mazie - Last time I spoke with Mary she said we are looking at around Labor Day. I was hoping for the first part of August, but I will take the first part of September. :) My ins. co. only took about a week to approve me for the New Images program, so I'm hoping they won't take the month Mary mentioned.

On suggestion from the nutritionist, I bought a couple different Protein drinks this weekend to start trying them out and see which ones I can tolerate. Any suggestions? I think the slim-fast will be okay as I have tried those before. This other one - AdvanEdge (I think) - I'm not so sure about.

Lindao1 - It is my understanding that Dr. Hodges is gone. Someone on this post, or maybe another one, mentioned that he left shortly after her surgery.

Even with that Linda01, I don't think it will take you long to get a date with him once the ball gets rolling. Especially since you are self-pay. Keep us posted! ;)