Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post, pre-op, just a couple of questions left - hydration?

Hi guys, my name is Mark and I just joined this forum to read about as many people's experiences as possible.

My surgery for sleeving is set for next Saturday and the enormity has just bitten hard, have not slept a few nights in abject terror, that is slowly subsiding the more I read the forum, but still comes back occasionally

There's no point in trotting out all the old questions and fears, everyone has said it all pretty much. I was going to title this post "Help I'm scared shitless" or something but it looks like every third post is like that! Nice to know I'm not alone or a total coward.

It's strange how the fears and misgivingss are so common. The last post I read rang a bell about a guy going to miss his craft beers! I'm the same, not a drinker really, but will surely miss that. If in a year I can take a glass of beer over an evening that would be something to look forward to. Similarly I know a bacon sandwich might be out of the question every now and then, but maybe a bite or two?

In building up to the op I have hit a system that seems to work for slow weight loss; I lose Breakfast and lunch and instead carry a palm sizd piece of steak around with me. If I feel hungry (usually on the hour) I take just one bite and I'm good until the next hour. Then have a reasonable dinner with not treats. At the weekend I have a good sized meal, and a treat on Sunday. This sems to have worked quite well, I lost 17 lbs in 12 weeks. It would nice to think I could just continue with this pleasant and tolerable diet until my target, but Know in my heart, and after 40 years of being the fat kid, that my weight would stall after a few months.

One question I haven't seen asked is about enhanced hydration - I see you are supposed to take Water regularly but i wonder what effect climate and activity have on that. If I'm on holiday somewhere really hot I drink Water by the gallon, is it possible to get seriously or dangerously dehydrated by virtue of your stomach capacity? Or will the fact I am not so fat any more reduce the need for consumption?

Well I'm looking forward to seeing this post, not least to see the little ticker thing at the bottom that you create on membership!

Edited by Lester Burnham

During my 1st 6 months post-op, I was doing a lot of moderate intensity walking. In Texas, it hits 95 degrees w/ a heat index of 105 during August and Sept. And I kinda over did it and got to the point of heat exhaustion several times. I'd drink 16oz of Water before my walk and cover my neck and head with a Water soaked towel, but it didn't help. I tried drinking during the walk, but it just made me sick at my stomach.

After the 2nd time I overheated, I started paying attention to the warning signs that I needed to get in the shade and rest.

During the rest of the year, I've never had an issue staying hydrated for my walks. I normally walk 3.25 miles at at pace of 3.5 - 3.9 miles/hr. And never drank before or during the walk.

If I were just starting out with a new Sleeve, I'd be cautious, try some moderate exercise and see what my limits are.

Dropping the lbs definitely reduced my need to drink during exercise. I used to drink 1 - 2 gallons of Crystal Light per day, pre-op. 40+ ounces with a meal.

As I dropped the weight and kept increasing my pace at walking, my endurance went up and I didn't need as much Fluid to stay hydrated.

This is going to be a learning process. Everyone is different. Take your time and watch for signs of overexertion. And keep plenty of fluids nearby. You may not be able to drink a whole lot in one gulp, but you can sip, sip, sip.

P.S. Don't worry about any foods or drinks you can never have again. At 1 year out, I could eat and drink anything I wanted - just in smaller amounts. But for the 1st 6 months, almost everything cause Frankensleeve to get pissed!!! But he learned to adjust. B)

Edited by joatsaint

Thanks, I've never been one to exercise for pleasure, but was hoping that would change. I want to dance and travel and hike....but don't want to collapse!

It would be nice to feel fit again. From being a fat adolescent (14 stone at 14 years old) I dropped a lot of weight when I was 16. From being the panting guy at the end of the race I managed to outrun all but 3 of the normal kids in cross country. I had a brief, incredible period when I was irresistable to the opposite sex, then came jobs and cars in my late teens and the standard sedentary lifestyle began. I put on one stone a year for the next 10 years! I've missed out on so much due to embarrassment, taking my kids to the pool, stripping down to shorts in the sun.

At the turn of each decade I swear to turn things around....when I hit 30 I lashed out at the gym and lost a ton, but then my kids came along and just didn't have the time to exercise any more. It all came back with just a *little* more added by my metabolism as punishment! Age 40 I did exactly the same routine, and the weight never budged an inch, I though oh oh, things are changing. Realistically, surgery is the only option left.