Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here, Lots Of Questions

Ok I have just decided in the past few weeks that I want/need to get the lapband done. I have a friend in south carolina who had it done in decemeber and it has gone well for her.

I have a few questions for people here in phoenix.

1. Does anyone have APIPA insurance and if so how long will I have to have a medically supervised diet?

2. IF have to do it self pay is it going to be about 16,000 total?

3. Are most primary care physicians helpful? I am nervous about suggesting it to my primary care physician. My BMI is 42 so I would think that would be bad enough. If she does not does anyone have a suggestion for PCP's in North Phoenix?

Another thing have any of you found that people say "Oh that's the easy way out" etc?

I know this might sound crazy but I have been overweight for years and years but just a few weeks ago is when it finally hit me. I never thought of myself as the fat girl but on the other hand I am very self concious. Anyway I think the final straw has been my hip and lower back hurting constantly and I went to an exhibit last weekend and needed to sit down before we got back to the car. And the last was when I calculated my BMI on the internet and found that I am considered Morbidly Obese.

I know this all sounds crazy.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Nicole

Nicole,

Welcome! And no, you do not sound crazy at all. It sounds like a lot of what I went through.

The cost of the lap band surgery will vary greatly depending on which doctor, your insurance, and if you decide to stay locally or go to Mexico. For me, my insurance didn't pay a single cent, so I had to pay it all myself. The first thing I would do is find out if your insurance covers it and how much they cover. They may also have surgeons they will work with and others they won't. If your insurance does require a supervised diet first (most of them are six months, I believe) get a consult with a surgeon right away. They will usually get you started on the diet while you are going through the rest of the process so at the end of the six months you are ready to go.

Another thing I would suggest highly is to do your research on surgeons in the valley. Some of them cost more than others. I would not automatically go the one who does the most advertising and charges the least. It may be worth paying a little more to get the care you deserve and should expect through this process.

My PCP didn't have an issue with it. I would sent a PM to WasABubbleButt. She is a registered nurse that lives in N. Phoenix and has had the band done. She has always been willing to help, and being that she's a nurse herself, she may have a good idea about doctors and who can help.

I haven't had many people say anything about the band because I haven't told that many people. Mainly just my family. And believe me, regardless of what anybody tells you, this is not the easy way out. The band is a tool; you still have to do the work.

Good luck on your decision and please let me know if you have any other questions. We are all here to help and support one another.

Good Luck,

Shauna

Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel better knowing I am not too crazy. How long ago did you get yours done and if you got it done here who was the doc and how was your experience? Sorry for all the questions. I am just very curious.

Thanks again

Nicole

Nicole,

It's not too many questions. How will you know if you don't ask?

I was banded on 5-21-07 (10 days ago)! I went to three different surgeons before deciding on WLIAZ (Weight Loss Institute of Arizona). My surgeon is Dr. DeBarros and he has been wonderful.

The experience has been pretty good and has run pretty smoothly. First I went to the introduction seminar. After that, I scheduled my first appointment. At the first appointment I met with the office manager (discuss money), nutritionist, nurse, surgeon. We set up goals I had to follow prior to surgery. (2 week liquid pre-op diet, yearly woman exam, EGD, X-ray). Once everything was completed I scheduled the surgery.

Ten days after surgery I am getting around fine and starting to eat again. I still have a little bit of pain on my side where my port is and where one of my incisions is. I'm sure it will go away soon, although not soon enough! I am down 17.5 pounds since starting the pre-op diet on 5-9.

Hope this helps!

Shauna

Ditto for me too Nicole. I met Shauna through this board (actually at the hospital and didn't know it). We both had the surgery an hour apart! Same doctor! We are feeling the exact same things. My port site is still sore but getting better everyday.

I am very close to my PCP and I didn't discuss this with her at all until it was time for her to provide evidence that I had been on a medically supervised diet. I knew she would be okay with it since I have been trying for sometime now to lose this weight.

I have Aetna PPO so I didn't need a referral or anything like that.

Hearing you are Morbidly Obese out loud for the first time is very devastating. However, you don't have to be that way forever! At least you are still very young and much of your adult life is ahead to enjoy. I am 49 and I vowed not to be a fat 50 year old! My birthday is in October.

Keep asking questions, we will answer! We are all here for each other!

How do you go about getting medically supervised diet? I hate the thought that I am going to have to try another diet again for a year. And I hate the idea of having to wait another year before I get surgery.

I am going to make my appointment with my PCP after my seminar on Sunday. Any suggestions on how to start the conversation. I have no idea what to say to her and no idea how she will respond.

Oh wow 17.5 lbs that is sooo awesome! Way to go. I love hearing the success stories.

I saw that there were a couple of you that all got banded the same day. That is crazy.

I am going on sunday to the seminar at Scottsdale Bariatric. I feel I am probably one of few fat people in scottsdale. I am going to see how I like them and then my next choice from what I havered is the Weight Loss Institute.

If you have any other suggestions they are all greatly appreciated.!!

Oh ya one question I have is will you still be able to eat normal foods and do you have to take supplements??

Nicole,

I would check w/ your ins. co. to see what they consider a medically supervised diet. Usually your PCP or bariatric surgeon can put you on the medically supervised diet. Usually you have to meet with them at least once a month and get weighed in.

Congratulations on taking the first step and going to the seminar. I have heard good things about Scottsdale Bariatrics. My only suggestion would be to go to at least a couple of seminars w/ different surgeons before making a final decision. You will find that a lot of them are very different.

Unlike gastric bypass, with the lapband you can eat just about anything. The band restricts the amount you eat, so you will just be eating less. Most surgeons will suggest you take a multi-Vitamin daily. That's it for supplements.

Good luck, and keep in touch!

Shauna

Well I went to my lapband seminar yesterday!! I was so excited to go. It was very informative. I feel like I am one step closer. I need to call my PCP today and get an appointment to see about recommendation. I am soo nervous to talk to her about it. Is that crazy? I don't know how to start the conversation or what to say. I rarely ever go to the doctor and hate it when I do.

Keep your fingers crossed everything goes smoothly with my PCP.

Congratulations, you have completed the all-important first step! I hope all goes well with your PCP. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

i didnt want to deal with my insurance and all the appointments. when i decided to do it i called mexico and talk with dr.kuri's office and then i called dr.huacuz. i decided on huacuz. they got me in a week later and im so glad i did it. i hope you have a great experience and good luck with the insurance, i just didnt have the patience to deal with them. i also made the decision and just had to do it.

my insurance required, are you ready for this: 3 YEARS of medically supervised diet failure and referrals from 2 docs, neither of which could be the surgeon. So, I paid for it myself. I did have a large hiatal hernia, which the insurance is supposed to cover (about $4300 of the hospital bill). The rest I paid for out of my own very small pocket.

I'm glad I did it, though. Dr. Debarros did my surgery, too -- he has been great - so has everyone at the clinic.

as a self-payer, though, I was very surprised to discover that I had to pay for the ultra sound and fill - I already paid the clinic around $9,700 cash prior to surgery (and $5,000 to the hospital). But that does not cover the fills. Those are $370 including the ultra sound. I still have a bill at the hospital for $6,300 - the insurance has not paid them yet and they are looking at me for the balance. Ouch! that hurts more than the surgery.

I had no pain afterwords - and I am down about 25lbs since March. Things are starting to look up -- but now my pants don't fit! :whoo:

Hi JMS,

Welcome! I was also self-pay. Yikes! I didn't realize the fills were that expensive. I thought I heard somewhere they were $250. Goodness, that's good to know. My insurance hasn't paid a single dime and they let me know they won't, either.

I had 2cc. in my band and went in and had 1cc. taken out. I was too restricted; I was having trouble getting Water down. I had difficulty getting answers from anyone for a couple of days and getting in was another story. Luckily, Dr. DeBarros told me he wouldn't charge me for that visit. Thank goodness. I'm nervous enough about ever getting another fill after what I went through. Now another $370 is like another stab in the gut. Oh, well. You can't put a cost on being healthy, right?

You are right, the fills are expensive, but think of how much we have spent on weight loss programs in the past that did not work? I know I have helped raise the price of stock in LA Weight Loss, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, South Beach, etc. over the past many years!

Dr. Debarros said that if you don't have the ultrasound they are about $100 cheaper -- and once we loose the weight, the ultrasound is not needed anymore.

I am scheduled for another fill in about 6 weeks -- we'll see how much I loose in the meantime and how much extra cash I have on hand! :nervous

Gosh, I am so thankful that my insuance paid for my surgery and my fills. I only have to pay the co-pay. I feel horrible for you guys. I can't wait for my first fill on Thursday. I am getting more and more hungry each day!

Okay, I better get to work...check back later..