Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAVING A PANIC ATTACK

I had VSG this past Wednesday (6 days ago) and now I am waking with stuff in my throat that makes me cough and a rapid heart rate. I am afraid that my controlled reflux has gotten worse. I don't know if this is a temporary thing, but I am scared to death of aspirational pneumonia and lung issues as well as damage to my esophagus. I am only 38yo so I'd like to live a long esophageal cancer free life. I've heard of people having to convert to bypass and I would absolutely hate that as I am low(ER) BMI to begin with. I think right at 34.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something that happens immediately after surgery. I already take 20mg of Omeprazole and took an extra yesterday. I plan to call my surgeon tomorrow, but it's 3:45AM local time. My BIGGEST fear about this surgery was causing additional health problems instead of improving my health. ????

I appreciate any feedback - Amye

Hopefully it is only temporary. Definitely talk to your surgeon. Maybe he/she can provide you with a prescription strength omeprazole. I was on 40mg for the first two months post-op then cut down to the otc level of 20mg after that. I'm sorry you are going through this.

I think it's quite normal to take a ppi post op. For most of it is just a fee months. I hope you knew that reflux is a sleeve risk.

I think it's quite normal to take a ppi post op. For most of it is just a fee months. I hope you knew that reflux is a sleeve risk.

I did know it was a risk, but my surgeon felt that repairing my hiatal hernia would alleviate my symptoms. I'm having those "what did I do to myself?" thoughts right now and it's causing severe anxiety. I guess I'm just reaching out to sleevers who've had similar experiences or just for some encouragement.

I'm almost 12 weeks post op, and I'm just beginning to get the acid reflux under control. It's really bad at night, aid in my throat and nose followed by hours of coughing. I take 40 mg Nexium and 40 mg omeprazole every day. I use lots of gas-X, Rolaids and Tums. My surgeon and the dietitian who runs my support group assures me it will go away by month 6. I had acid reflux disease before surgery, I had hiatal hernia repair during my sleeve surgery, so I still have a lot of stuff going on inside. I just have to be very careful how much I eat, what I eat and how late I eat before bedtime.

I see my surgeon again in March, so it's on my list of questions/concerns to discuss. I've been told there are other prescription medications that I can take, but I'm sticking with the current plan until March since it does seem to be getting better each week.

I never had reflux issue before WLS and initially had no problems post-op. I was put on prescription strength 20 mg of omeprazole for 90 days post op. Once I started incorporating regular food back in I had to increase that to 40 and we're doing another 90 day run. So far as long as I take it I have no problems with it. Perhaps you need a higher dosage because of your prior history. I also had to play around with the time of day I took it. I finally figured out I would get acid in the early evenings so taking it around 2 -3 ish worked for me.

I'm almost 12 weeks post op, and I'm just beginning to get the acid reflux under control. It's really bad at night, aid in my throat and nose followed by hours of coughing. I take 40 mg Nexium and 40 mg omeprazole every day. I use lots of gas-X, Rolaids and Tums. My surgeon and the dietitian who runs my support group assures me it will go away by month 6. I had acid reflux disease before surgery, I had hiatal hernia repair during my sleeve surgery, so I still have a lot of stuff going on inside. I just have to be very careful how much I eat, what I eat and how late I eat before bedtime.

I see my surgeon again in March, so it's on my list of questions/concerns to discuss. I've been told there are other prescription medications that I can take, but I'm sticking with the current plan until March since it does seem to be getting better each week.

Thank you for the reply. I'm anxiously waiting for my surgeons office to open this morning. I just hope this is a temporary issue. I can deal with good old fashioned GERD, been doing that for the last 10 years. But I can't deal with choking/heart palpitations and possible gastric leaks. ????. I'll update after I speak to drs office.

I never had reflux issue before WLS and initially had no problems post-op. I was put on prescription strength 20 mg of omeprazole for 90 days post op. Once I started incorporating regular food back in I had to increase that to 40 and we're doing another 90 day run. So far as long as I take it I have no problems with it. Perhaps you need a higher dosage because of your prior history. I also had to play around with the time of day I took it. I finally figured out I would get acid in the early evenings so taking it around 2 -3 ish worked for me.

Thanks for your perspective/experience. I am so grateful for this forum and the responses.

The nurse suggested switching from Prilosec to Nexium and also said that this was common from all the swelling associated with hernia repair. I feel better, but would love to have this corroborated by someone who's actually been through it

I'm a little scared to go to sleep. Waking up choking and gagging was frightening. I have moved to my recliner tonight though. Hoping things go better.....