Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wonder what my Doc will say

I have not have the chance yet to inform my Lap-band doctor but I am not so sure they will do anything or say anything about this problem unless it interfers with my band correct? I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus. I am just curious what they will do if I ever get really sick, I am trying to be possitive and think to myself I will never get that sick but I already have arthrits through out my whole body and some of my organs ache. Removing my band just doesnt seem like an option to me. Has anyone had any major illiness they have had to go through like maybe even a flu? what did the doctor have you do? Any info would be appriciated.

YES! This is absolutely a condition your band doc needs to know about.

I take it you didn't know about this before being banded? Seriously, you need to call your band doc ASAP. Perhaps there are things that can be done to prevent future problems.

Sadly, this is one comorbidity that rules you out as a banded patient. But, the fact is that you have a band so now they have to deal with it. It's a reality.

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

See, I thought SLE was a rule-out as well, but Betsyjane on here said in another thread that her doc did some labswork to make sure she wasn't in the midst of a flare-up and when she wasn't, then he banded her.

Things must be changing.

But I agree with WasaBB, you do need to call your surgeon and let them know.

Wow I had no Idea it ruled u out for the surgery but yes I did just find out I had it, otherwise I may have had a different result when I went to ask for my band. I have just been experiencing what seems like flare after flare lately so I wondered what hey would say. I did finally talk to them and I told them about the Lupus. I also had asked about a week before if It would be alright to go on a liquid diet to shrink up my stomach because I have felt like I was eating too much and today they said absolutley Not. Not with the new lupus meds which are going to make me sick and lose my appetite anyway. We will see I feel fine on the meds so far. Plus I have to make more diet changes. Nothing too bad I think.

This seems bizarre and unprofessional to write but I'm going to do it anyway. Maybe it's a good thing you didn't know about it before being banded, you may not have received your band. Inamed is really clear about this however there are docs that will disagree. Perhaps rightfully so, I don't really know.

If you didn't get a band because of your other diagnosis you would never know if in YOUR case it would be a problem. Now that you have a band, maybe it won't be an issue?

Good luck to you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you are feeling well soon and the flares become less frequent.

It has been a contraindication for the band in the past - all auto-immune disorders were. The fear is the foreign body will make you flare more as it "stirs up" your immune response. I think they are backing off that now. I have MS and the only recommendation the company made to my surgeon is that I was not in the midst of an attack when the surgery would take place.

I'm very glad you told your physician, it is vitally important that they monitor you very closely to make sure the Lupus isn't attacking your stomach or esophogas.

You are in my prayers. Be well and keep us updated.

Apparently, there are no problems with Lupus flare ups and the band, The problem is that surgery is upsetting to the system and can cause a flare up if your Lupus isn't in good control before the surgery. My dr. had no hesitation about banding me with Lupus, and my Lupus wasn't effected. The only problem I find is that during a flare up, my band is more restricting so I can eat less. No big deal.....