Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tonight on TLC a new series starts titled "Big Medicine" Here is a piece I cut and pasted from the TLC website:

BIG MEDICINE offers a behind-the-scenes look into the controversial world of bariatric surgery. The series chronicles the emotional journeys and transformation of obese people who have opted to undergo weight-loss surgery in an attempt to regain their lives.

You can go to their website and read more about. It is on at 9pm Pacific Time. You might want to check your own time zone.

This should be very interesting for all of us!

I have it set to Tivo. I am hoping it will be inspiring and not just focusing on all the complications possible. I also hope to see some lapbanded patients, not just gastric bypass.

I have also watched the show about Brookhaven obesity hospital but that often depresses me :rolleyes

So, I will be watching!

I thought it was pretty good, but Im also wondering if they are going to include lapband and not just gastric. When reading the info on the website I got the impression that it was going to be only gastric. Even if that is the case I will continue to watch it because these type of shows are my favorite. Most of the time all I watch is TLC and Discovery Health. At this point I have probably seen ever episode of everyshow at least 2x.

I stumbled on the program while channel surfing last night...it was pretty darn good!! I'll try to catch it when I remember! :) I too hope they show lap-band as well. I kinda wonder if lap-band would have been more appropriate for that teenager that had bypass. Her teeth now look like they're rotting out of her mouth :phanvan. Not a good thing. Other than that she looked fantastic!!!

I can't believe I missed the show! Darn! So I just went to TLC.com and checked it out to see if they are rerunning the show anytime this week (like they so often do), but sadly they're not going to.

Though in my search about the show, I discovered what one of my dear old friends that I have lost touch with is doing... I remember Garth Davis when he was a first year resident. He is in my list of top twenty all-time favorite residents ever. I remember being so sad when he told me he was moving to Texas to go into practice with his father. Then when I looked at the "About" page for Big Medicine and it mentioned a father-son team in Houston, I thought: "No way, could it be Garth?" And yep, it is!

What a fantastic person I recall him being. How excting for him! He never mentioned Bariatric Surgery to me, but that was a few years ago (probably nine years) and surgery for the obese wasn't as accepted as it is today. Besides, I've been heavy since I hit puberty, perhaps he didn't wish to offend me. He's a wonderful, caring person.

Anyone here go there?

When the time comes for plastic surgery, I might consider a trip to Houston... We'll have to see as the show progresses how skilled the plastics guy is.

I thought it was a great show, too. I especially liked it when the doctor told the thereapist to remember that obesity is a disease. When you saw pictures of the heaviest man on the show as a baby and toddler, you just know that his weight problem is not totally environmental.

I too hope they will show some lap band surgeries, but I have a feeling it will just be gastric bypass. Anyone know how to contact TLC? Maybe if they hear from enough people, they will make some episodes about it.

I enjoyed it also, if you noticed while Big D was explaining how the by-pass worked using that little stand up chart. It also had the lap-band on it. So I am hoping they do get a couple of those cases. I am not normally home on Monday nights so I will have to remember to record it.

I thought it was a great show, too. I especially liked it when the doctor told the thereapist to remember that obesity is a disease. When you saw pictures of the heaviest man on the show as a baby and toddler, you just know that his weight problem is not totally environmental.

I too hope they will show some lap band surgeries, but I have a feeling it will just be gastric bypass. Anyone know how to contact TLC? Maybe if they hear from enough people, they will make some episodes about it.

You can go to tlc.discovery.com and click on the show, there is a message board for it. But I would say that I am fairly certain all the episodes have already been produced. If you go to the MD's website, it talks about them being featured in a 13 episode series on TLC. That tells me that the 13 episodes are already "in the can" so to speak. If it is popular enough, I'm sure it will get picked up again and perhaps if they don't present bandsters this time around, they will the next time?

<p>I watched the young girl who had bypass and had all the hanging skin that had to be removed. Just confirmed my decision for the band. At least by going slower we have a fighting chance not to look like that in the end. Personally I'd rather NOT have to sink another $30K into plastic surgury to fix everything.</p>

It was a great show. You can go to TLC and have them email you reminders of any show they broadcast. This is what I had to do since I can't remember a darn thing...lol.

The young girl with all the skin....wow! That scares me b/c I have more weight to lose than her, plus I am 10 years older! But, she looks great now after the plastic surgery.

The show was just alright for me. Honestly, I thought they should have showed more details. It looked like you get the surgery, lose weight, live happily ever after. For people (like me) with food addictions there are so many more ups and downs than that. I also wish they would have mentioned things like costs, and how people are paying for it all etc...overall, yah, just more details would have been nice.