Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who supports right to choose

Are you Pro Life  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you Pro Life

• for Pro Life
    • for pro choice
    • pro choice only for extreme cases ie Mothers in danger of death

I don't know of a state where a woman can go get an abortion at 9 months just because she wants one. In the state I live in it is only legal up to 12 weeks. In Georgia, the next state over, I think the legal limit is 24 weeks. Is there a state that has it legal past that??

The Second Look Project Roe Reality Check

I am so tied of it always being an arguement instead of just a conversation. I think abortions should be legal which would mean that it wouldn't be consdered illegal/murder. I think that murder should only be used if therson was killing with an evil intent...Nothing you can say will make me question where I stand in any of this. I stand where I am because it is my opinion. I don't need you to "help" me look at the logic or see the "problem" here...it is my belief...that is why it is called MY belief and not YOURS!

Very well said. !!!

I totally agree . I respect your opinion and what you did in your situation and I think you resepct what i did in my situation .

given your situation I do not know if i could have done what you did , I admire you more than I can type for what you did !

I personally am tired of the word "Murder" or "murderer" being thrown around so casually when this subject is brought up . And i agree with what you said about .

Well put !

Mindy

Try to step away from the whole emotional and experiential component of abortion and think this through from a logical standpoint. Do you see why there are problems here?

I think asking people to take emotions out of it if they have had to make that choice is impossible.

I also think someone can not judge someone unless and until they have had to stand at that cross road and had to make that choice .

Mindy

I think asking people to take emotions out of it if they have had to make that choice is impossible.

I also think someone can not judge someone unless and until they have had to stand at that cross road and had to make that choice

The problem is, law shouldn't be based on emotion, and whether or not someone dies shouldn't be based on another person's opinion.

If I were raised in a racist family and believed in torturing blacks and you told me that was wrong, it wouldn't be acceptable for me to say, "Well, that's how I was raised and I'm emotionally attached to it so it's just my opinion."

I have never judged anyone for having an abortion. I have never called a mother who had an abortion a murderer. And you don't know that I've never been in a position where I faced the choice or not.

The problem is, law shouldn't be based on emotion, and whether or not someone dies shouldn't be based on another person's opinion.

Then someones opinion shouldn't decide if a women has a baby she doesn't want to have... Someone elses opinion shouldn't make a law that forces someone to do something with their body...

If I were raised in a racist family and believed in torturing blacks and you told me that was wrong, it wouldn't be acceptable for me to say, "Well, that's how I was raised and I'm emotionally attached to it so it's just my opinion."

I have never judged anyone for having an abortion. I have never called a mother who had an abortion a murderer. And you don't know that I've never been in a position where I faced the choice or not.

I was not speaking specifically of you .

I agree law should not be based on emotion , it should be based on fact.

I also believe law should not be based on religious views one way or another.

Because relgious views , are in some ways based on peoples opinions and how THEY view it.

So i do not believe they should be based on that. That is after all why we have separation of church and state !

But i was not addressing that statement towards you . Sorry just a general statement

Mindy

Then someones opinion shouldn't decide if a women has a baby she doesn't want to have... Someone elses opinion shouldn't make a law that forces someone to do something with their body...

:wink:

Thank you for posting this GREAT resource. It answers a lot of the questions that have been posed here. It looks at statistics, legal issues, etc. There are a lot of abortion myths there are that are totally debunked.

Here is another one for ya since you liked that one so much !

I only posted that one since it explained that 9 month abortion law Top 10 Anti-Abortion Myths - Top 10 Myths About Abortion

Mindy

Which is precisely why it's critical to determine whether there's one body there or two. As I pointed out above, the law expresses this schizophrenic idea that there is sometimes one body and sometimes two -- with the distinction between when there's one and when there's two being the mother's mindset. It's a ludicrous proposition: there's a baby there when the mother decides there is, and there's not a baby there if she decides there isn't. It ignores basic biology and scientific truths about empirical facts; we don't only exist when someone else thinks we do.

Edited by gadgetlady

I agree law should not be based on emotion , it should be based on fact.

I also believe law should not be based on religious views one way or another.

Because relgious views , are in some ways based on peoples opinions and how THEY view it.

I completely agree. And just because religious people oppose abortion doesn't mean it's a religious issue. It's a civil rights issue with its basis in the science of fetology. The facts are that the unborn baby is a human being different from the mother, with separate DNA, a separate circulatory system, and separate body parts. Religious people also believe the unborn baby has a separate soul, but since that can't be proven it shouldn't enter the equation. There are many pro-life people who aren't Christian, and indeed many are athiests. Similarly, a mother's personal belief that her unborn baby isn't a human being isn't based on fact, but rather emotion, and shouldn't be the determining factor in whether the baby lives or not.

But i was not addressing that statement towards you . Sorry just a general statement

No problem. But please know that I am not standing in judgment of anyone here. It's not my place and it's not my style. I learned a long time ago that there is nothing in this world that any of us is above doing or not doing, and that we all have moral weaknesses and failures and we should never, never judge another for something because we might find ourselves in that very situation later in life.

Edited by gadgetlady

If this was a majority vote...look at the poll results so far...abortion would be legal. Pro-choice is the majority on this poll (If you look at the percentages up top)...So...Are you sure you know what you are asking for? As someone said before there are "Christians" that are pro-choice...

Actually, after reading what gadgetlady had to say, I've decided that she is right and have changed my thinking on that one. The majority is often wrong on issues.

Popular opinion shouldn't be a factor. But just to address the issue fully, from the website Mindy posted earlier:

myth: Most Americans favor U.S. abortion law.

FACT: Most Americans actually oppose it.

A recent Harris Interactive poll claims 52% of Americans favor Roe v. Wade and 47% oppose it.[11] But the poll describes Roe as "the U.S. Supreme Court decision making abortions up to three months of pregnancy legal."

That's wrong. The fact is, Roe made abortion legal through all 9 months of pregnancy.[12]

In the same poll, 72% of Americans said abortion should be illegal in the second three months of pregnancy, and 86% said abortion should be illegal in the last three months of pregnancy.

Even support for abortion in the first three months is open to question. In a 2004 Zogby International poll, 61% of Americans said abortion should not be permitted after the fetal heartbeat has begun.[13] This occurs in the first month.[14]

So why do 52% of Americans say they favor Roe v. Wade?

Because they don't really know what Roe did.

People support Roe v. Wade because they do not want to make abortion illegal.

People believe that unwanted, unplanned pregnancies should not be controlled by the government.

People believe that thie issue of unplanned pregnancies is far too important than to clump it into one database and claim that every situation is the same and can be treated the same way under the law.

Did you read the link that was posted debunking some of the propaganda that the anti-choice people trash our world with everyday? It makes claims that are legitimate, although to be sure there will be 3 or 4 counterclaims posted by the anti-choice folks. Trust me, their ducks are all in a row even though they are filled with misstatements and exaggerations. Their propaganda are so shocking that people decide that they must be real and so they are scared into joining the anti-choice movement. That is, until they or someone they know finds themselves at a point where they need to be able to make a choice for themselves. Then they understand the truth and they understand the reason why they need to be pro-choice and proud to say it.

One of the most important issues is that Planned Parenthood is portrayed as being pro-abortion, which is absolutely not true. The anti-choice people have said that Planned Parenthood is pro-abortion for so long in so many ways that people now are buying it. They even picket outside Planned Parenthood offices to further negatively influence the public. These demonstrations make it so difficult for women who actually need contraceptives and education that they are often prevented from getting any help at all. Which only goes to encourage unwanted, unplanned pregnancies.

Planned Parenthood works very hard to educated people about birth control and they not only offer counseling about abortion and adoption, they do everything they can to help women who become pregnant without their intent to do so.

The anti-choice people have made every effort to demonize Planned Parenthood, but if there weren't organizations like it available to women, there would be many more abortions and unwanted children brought into the world.

How many more studies does it take for anti-choice people to understand that preaching abstinence, telling our children that sex is verboten to any person who isn't married, are concepts that do not work to reduce unplanned pregnancies?

Education about anatony and reproduction and contraceptive methods and making controceptives available to people will reduce the number of abortions.

Half-truths, exaggerations or sticking our heads in the sand and distribution of information designed to further the anti-abortion cause, only creates more unplanned pregnancies and the need, in some cases, for abortions.

President Obama undertands all of this and hopefully he will make it a priority to educate Americans about unplanned pregnancies by naming a council that will distribute correct information and demonstrate why women should not be kicked to the curb and condemned, but should be embraced and given choices when they have been impregnated against their wishes. If he does that, I believe the number of abortions will fall rapidly. In fact I believe that life for women in America will improve all the way around.