Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who supports right to choose

Are you Pro Life  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you Pro Life

• for Pro Life
    • for pro choice
    • pro choice only for extreme cases ie Mothers in danger of death

I like what you said about being involved in your own healthcare. Drs. are only human, too. But in this case with the provera, he was correct after all. But I agree about being proactive in your care. Very important

I'm surprised that with your stance on what are not acceptable contraceptives that you would not have known about depo-provera before you let your doctor give you a shot. He wouldn't have given you the shot without your originating the request for it. It's not like doctors go around just giving this to women who just gave birth. If many of the common types of birth control, to you, are abortifacients, then it was your responsibilty to know about this. Even I would not have allowed a doctor to give me this without knowing what it would do and I accept all forms of contraception.

I'm surprised that with your stance on what are not acceptable contraceptives that you would not have known about depo-provera before you let your doctor give you a shot. He wouldn't have given you the shot without your originating the request for it. It's not like doctors go around just giving this to women who just gave birth. If many of the common types of birth control, to you, are abortifacients, then it was your responsibilty to know about this. Even I would not have allowed a doctor to give me this without knowing what it would do and I accept all forms of contraception.

This is true what you say. It was my responsibility to know what I was getting. This happened 17 years ago when it was just coming out, and the nurse came into my room with the shot and she told me a little about it. She assumed that after my having 5 kids already, that I would want this for at least the first 3 months after delivery. So without thinking it thru, I took it. I regret that. My husband was upset with me for not consulting him first, and I explained that it all happened so fast, and then when the dr. came in, we discussed it with him in full and he told us about it. I have learned from that and would not let something like that happen again.

Break-through ovulation is not uncommon when using hormonal birth control. That's why women can get pregnant using it, circumventing both the original intent (prevention of fertilization) and the secondary fall-back (making the womb inhospitable to the fertilized egg). The numbers are generally considered to be below 10% (break-through ovulation), the quantity of which are fertilized from those is unknown. The numbers increase pretty quickly when one or more pill is missed (if the pill is the method used) during the month.

Why would we want to hide information from women? I thought we were all for correct medical information being provided? This isn't irresponsible at all. It's factual.

I think breakthrough ovulation is extremely rare with Depo. I can see it happening with the pill because some women may forget one every now and then or take one late. But you can't mess up with Depo since it's a shot. So I think the odds of that happening are very small. Would you rather a woman who really does not want kids to use something unreliable like a condom or diaphragm and greatly increase the odds of having an unwanted pregnancy and then an abortion? I think it would be better to use something like the pill or Depo and not have to worry about an unwanted pregnancy as much. If it weren't for hormonal birth control, and women only used unreliable methods, I think there would be a lot more abortions.

By the way, it seems a lot of prolifers here believe it is ok to get a tubal. Did you know it is STILL possible for fertilization to happen even though you have had a tubal??

I think breakthrough ovulation is extremely rare with Depo. I can see it happening with the pill because some women may forget one every now and then or take one late. But you can't mess up with Depo since it's a shot. So I think the odds of that happening are very small. Would you rather a woman who really does not want kids to use something unreliable like a condom or diaphragm and greatly increase the odds of having an unwanted pregnancy and then an abortion? I think it would be better to use something like the pill or Depo and not have to worry about an unwanted pregnancy as much. If it weren't for hormonal birth control, and women only used unreliable methods, I think there would be a lot more abortions.

I don't believe in the suppression of information to "protect" women. I believe women have the right to know what hormonal birth control methods do to their bodies. I also believe mothers have the right to know what is happening to their babies during an abortion (which abortion clinics fight tooth and nail -- such as regulations requiring women see their ultrasounds before aborting, etc.). At the very least, if abortion remains legal, women will be able to make truly informed decisions.

By the way, it seems a lot of prolifers here believe it is ok to get a tubal. Did you know it is STILL possible for fertilization to happen even though you have had a tubal??

Yes, of course it is. But there is no thinning of the uterus side-effect of having a tubal ligation (like there is with many hormonal forms), so it is not an abortifacient.

I don't believe in the suppression of information to "protect" women. I believe women have the right to know what hormonal birth control methods do to their bodies. I also believe mothers have the right to know what is happening to their babies during an abortion (which abortion clinics fight tooth and nail -- such as regulations requiring women see their ultrasounds before aborting, etc.). At the very least, if abortion remains legal, women will be able to make truly informed decisions.

I never said anything about suppressing information. But I also think that women need to be told the truth, that is is extremely rare.

Edited by Carrie_C

Yes, of course it is. But there is no thinning of the uterus side-effect of having a tubal ligation (like there is with many hormonal forms), so it is not an abortifacient.

Don't you believe that life begins at conception? So if fertilization were to occur in a woman who had a tubal and it caused the embryo not to be able to implant, wouldn't that be the same thing as an abortifacient?

And what about a hyterectomy? If a woman has had her uteus removed but not her ovaries and fertilization occurs, isn't that abortion since the embryo has nothing to attach to?

I never said anything about suppressing information. But I also think that women need to be told the truth, that is is extremely rare.

You said it was irresponsible of pro-lifers to share the facts of hormonal birth control because it might push them into using other, more unreliable methods (not your exact words, but that was the jist of it).

You said it was irresponsible of pro-lifers to share the facts of hormonal birth control because it might push them into using other, more unreliable methods (not your exact words, but that was the jist of it).

It's irresponsible for you to expect women not to use a reliable form of birth control just because there is a tiny tiny chance of break trough ovulation. It is irresponsible for you to push nonhormonal birth control when it is very unreliable. If you all want to prevent so many abortions, then you need to be pushing contraceptive that is reliable and not likely to cause an unwanted pregnancy.

And what about a hyterectomy? If a woman has had her uteus removed but not her ovaries and fertilization occurs, isn't that abortion since the embryo has nothing to attach to?

That's an interesting question. Since I've been considering a hysterectomy, I have actually been trying to research this for about 6 months now and have never been able to find any information about it. I've asked other pro-life sources and come up empty. If you have some resources for me to look at on this matter, I'd actually really appreciate it because I haven't been successful in my search.

I would think, however, that for most women since a hysterectomy isn't elective but rather necessary for some medical (physical) reason, it would remove the ethical concern in this instance. But to be honest, I haven't been able to get much info on this, but not for lack of trying.

Normally, the fallopian tubes carry the eggs from the ovaries to the uterus. Tubal ligation closes the tubes. It prevents pregnancy because it stops sperm from ever reaching the eggs, so they can not become fertilized.

rodriguezequal ,

I too looked at your myspace page and pix. You have a beautiful family and your son is a beautiful little boy. I had twins 4 months premature I was 23 weeks along when I delieverd, and they were 1 lb and 2 lbs. it was a very scary time for us. and my small twin was left with mild CP, learning disabilities, eye issues ect. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. They are 23 now, and while she still has her issues she is a beautiful young woman.

You and your husband are very lucky to have him.

While I believe in abortion, but not as a means for birth control. and I believe it should only be legal up to 12 weeks. Later for for medical reasons, health of mother.

We knew that there was problems with my pregnancy and had the option to try and abort one, But we choose not to, Drs wanted us to. But I stayed on bed rest for most of the pregnancy until it became a health issue for me.

Again you boy is beautiful!!!

Thank you so much. It sounds like you have a wonderful family too...They told me that if I do get pregnant again I will have to be on bed rest for most of it and have shots throughout it to prevent my blood from over clotting again.

Normally, the fallopian tubes carry the eggs from the ovaries to the uterus. Tubal ligation closes the tubes. It prevents pregnancy because it stops sperm from ever reaching the eggs, so they can not become fertilized.

It has happened before, just like when a man gets his tubes tied, things happen and a pregnancy can still occur...

It's irresponsible for you to expect women not to use a reliable form of birth control just because there is a tiny tiny chance of break trough ovulation. It is irresponsible for you to push nonhormonal birth control when it is very unreliable. If you all want to prevent so many abortions, then you need to be pushing contraceptive that is reliable and not likely to cause an unwanted pregnancy.

I'm not, nor have I ever, "pushed" any kind of birth control. All I did was provide factual information on the effects of the various methods discussed.