Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In my post op room and struggling bad

I agree- try sleeping in the recliner/chair. I never once could tolerate that hospital bed. Also, getting up every few hours and walking a lot helps. Hang in there it does get better!! Good luck

The first day just sucked but I walked off/on even though I didn't really want to. By the second day I was up walking a lot and ready to go home. You are going to be sore as you've just had major abdominal surgery. It takes time for that to go away. Each person's experience is different. Some people are laid back & take it a moment at a time. Some people have a lot of anxiety which makes the pain that much worse. But none of it matters because you have your own experience and need to find a way to make it positive & believe with each passing day that things will get better...

Edited by ProjectMe

Hope you feel better! I like what the guy said about saying what's on your mind. Can't they give you morphine through IV?

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Please tell the nurse. Feel better soon. It does get EASIER!

Lortab is what they gave me for pain when they took my toy away (pain pump, i loved that thing...lol) Lortab helped with pain and knocks you out, gives you a good nap.

The IV for me made me Pee every 2 hours on the DOT. It was irritating, because I had to ask for help since they had all kinds of wires attached to me including the stupid things on the legs that help you with circulation. I felt like a puppet with so many cords . Once they unhooked me, I just need a hand to get up (they should have put the bed higher, that would have helped). Then I would drive my IV stick on wheels to the bathroom with me. Of course I was hunched over walking cause everytime I stretched to straighten up the muscles in my stomach hurt. When I was done peeing, since I was up, I took that opportunity to take a very slow stroll down the hallway because it does help with gas.

I swear, I looked like the huntchback of notra dame just shuffling my feet, pushing my IV stick on wheels and my hair sticking up in different directions like Medusa. (what a sight!) But you know, I did not give one F*&&&%$, I was going to do what it takes to get discharged.

There is nothing better than to feel like shit in the privacy of your own home and have your comfort. Then you can really start on your recovery.

The nurse even told me to behave. lol But that is a whole different discussion. I am not the nicest patient when they take to long to respond to me.

Aw man, it sucks that you're so uncomfortable. I'll chime in like everyone else. Walk as much as you can and have them give you something for nausea and gas.

sounds funny but one of the re op nurses told me to ask for IV Tylenol. i know its weird but its also expensive as heck, Thank the insurance for that one though...i hope. but it really made a huge difference along with the Toradol. i refused to use the morphine pump, because of my sleep apnea. but doing the IV Tylenol and Toradol kept me just fine. and my bed also turned into a chair. which was awesome.

Hope you are feeling better very soon.

You can do it !!! Yes, the first few days are horrible. Day 6 was the turn around for me. Walk if you can, I hated it at first, but it gets rid of gas and helps against clots

Everyone is different in every way. I was up and waking to at least the bathroom the day if surgery. The second day I was walking the halls all day. Ask for some Zofran before you take your pain meds(hell even ask the doctors for some when released to take at home). Toradol helped me the most with the gas pains and overall. Take it in baby steps and work your way up, you got this!! Hope you get relief.

My post-op sucked as well. I felt awful. I stopped taking all the meds as I an super sensitive meds, the Dilaudid made me crazy. Once I got the crap out od my body and pushed myself to walk I felt so much better. I had my 3 month post op check today and told I was right on track. Keep you chin up it will get better!

You have a right to be comfortable. Insist or have a family member advocate for you... medications and proper positioning should relieve discomfort. Maybe they should take a closer look to make sure all truly is well.

I agree--be that squeaky wheel! It is their job to manage your pain while you're in the hospital. Don't be afraid to say your pain level is a 9 or 10--it'll get them hopping. And tell them how nauseated you feel so they'll get you something for that, too.

I felt MUCH better once I didn't have to get up and down out of the hospital bed anymore. It was so much easier to get comfortable at home--and I could have my hot Water bottle and my husband to rub my back. I felt better at home. Every day gets better, I promise. Hang in there!