Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months film surgery... Questions

2 months until surgery. I am really starting to worry about excess skin. I've heard women have issues with this more than men.

I am currently 6ft 5inches 410 pounds . I carry the weight well. I was 265 in college from 94-98 and the lightest i have been post college was 330 (year ago) . I am wondering if i get down to my expected weight which is around 265 is it realistic to have no excess skin? I don't mind lifting weights while losing; i just don't think mentally i could deal with some of the excess skin I see on women.. Don't really see it on the fellas much, but then again, i don't really see the men posting revealing pics like that.

Any feedback would be much appreciated? I read FAQ but I'd like to hear real life testimonials.

More info : I've played sports am my life (football). A year ago i actually dropped about 70 poundsand i got down to 330. I didn't have any excess skin then so the doctor said my changes are probably

@@Mrbig77

At 6'5 and 410 pounds you're BMI is a 49 Morbidly Obese, possible candidate for surgery

You're loss would be 145 pounds. Right? This is not Vanity pounds we are talking about loosing with weight loss surgery. Yes, expect loose skin. More important expect to have an extended life and become healthy.

If its vanity and not wanting loose skin. Weight loss surgery might not be for you.

Edited by jenn1

@@Mrbig77 - Is excess skin a deal breaker for you? I've seen lose skin on men and women. It happens. The choice then becomes tuck it into a Spanx or have surgery to remove it. I'm only 55lbs down and I can see area where it may be a problem. (my thighs) I'm okay with that. I haven't ruled out skin removal surgery. I'm just happy to be losing. In the meantime I'll do everything I can do tone and reduce the excess skin, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I've lost about 130 (down from 305) and I have a small amount of loose skin. It's under my navel and inner thighs. It's more like what a co-worker calls "crepe skin" (like crepe paper)...it's just a bit saggy, but not literally hanging.

I recommend doing strength training in your exercise regimen as the muscles will help push the skin out. Also, it can take up to a year for the skin to snap back, although it may not snap back fully.

But it in all honesty, some hanging skin is much better than diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or any other life-threatening co-morbidity that can manifest due to obesity.

Hanging skin can be fixed or lived with. Being dead can't be fixed.

@@BLERDgirl - definitely not a deal breaker, just an honest concern. Id rather educate and prepare myself, instead of being caught off guard with anything. I look at some of the videos people have posted titled "i wish i had known this before sleeve surgery" or "my regrets after sleeve surgery" and i don't want that to be me.

@@jenn1 - it's not vanity, but it is. I'm trying to come to terms with all potential issues before surgery and this is one of them for me. I've started practicing eating slower, not mixing liquids and my meal, dietary changes. Make no mistake, Health is #1 blood pressure, sleep apnea, joint pain, heart trouble.... Being here for my 5 kids and wife. That being said, I guess my question should have been worded differently.... Maybe what can be done to minimize excess skin and how men with my similar body type have been to dealing with excess skin. I'm not a swim suit model that's worried about how she is going to look in a two piece bikini ????... But i am a dad and husband that wants to know how much skin i may have to deal with... How much my wife will have to deal with. And what strategies men have used to minimize it or eliminate it. I'm just being honest

@@Mrbig77 - Gotcha. I guess the best we can say is know that it can happen. Prepare to do whatever you can to prevent it and be prepared to deal with it if it does happen.