Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know my surgeons recommends waiting at least a year post-op before drinking alcohol, but every surgeon would have different ideas. One thing I have heard if you choose to drink after WLS is that it takes very little alcohol to have an effect.

@@NaomiAus I heard that as well. The only reason I was asking was because I'm such a social person I'm always at some event, I don't drink to get drunk but I know my friends are going to look at me crazy because I'm not drinking. I'm gearing up for a lot of awkward moments since I haven't told anyone about me having surgery!

The biggest issue with alcohol is cross-addiction. Work with you doctor and learn about your own habits.

Yep, you can. Just ask your doctor when, and be aware of the dangers of transfer addiction.

@@NaomiAus I heard that as well. The only reason I was asking was because I'm such a social person I'm always at some event, I don't drink to get drunk but I know my friends are going to look at me crazy because I'm not drinking. I'm gearing up for a lot of awkward moments since I haven't told anyone about me having surgery!

This is a situation that I will probably find myself in too, I admit I am "the office lush" so for co-workers to not see me drinking will have some questions, but I'm not telling co-workers at this stage

I also worry about this. I'm 26 years old and every Friday night my friends meet at the bar. I'm known to have a good time. I'm never going to be the drinking game champion again. But i do want to know if I'm able to have a drink or two once in a while?

I also worry about this. I'm 26 years old and every Friday night my friends meet at the bar. I'm known to have a good time. I'm never going to be the drinking game champion again. But i do want to know if I'm able to have a drink or two once in a while?

Haha I'm also the drinking champ! Tequila is my choice of poison Lolz but every weekend we drink, I'm looking to not do it as much or as often but I'm wondering about my hookah as well as my drinks.< /p>

This actually came up in group last night. One gentleman was 2 months post op. Doc did explain that he could drink...occasionally. ..but NOT beer...due to the carbonation. He also explained that persons with by-pass are the people who have elevated alcohol blood levels over someone who did not have surgery or someone who was sleeved. Although you are sleeved you are still going through digestion. Good luck!

Just be careful bc my doc said one drink can make you legally drunk and you wouldn't pass a breathalyzer