Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best contraceptive?

Hello all!

What have you found to be the best, long term contraceptive to use after surgery?

Thank you!

I can't imagine why a person's form of contraception would change because of abdominal surgery. I could be wrong but wouldn't the decision of contraception type be based on your goals, your body/health, your Dr., and how well you handle certain side effects depending the bc method you choose?

I can't imagine why a person's form of contraception would change because of abdominal surgery. I could be wrong but wouldn't the decision of contraception type be based on your goals, your body/health, your Dr., and how well you handle certain side effects depending the bc method you choose?

I thought to ask based on hormones and the effects different pills/patches/iud's could have on you

@@Marielbx Good question. Out of curiosity I did a Google search and found quite a few articles. It looks like with Non-malabsorbtive weight loss surgery (I.e sleeve) Your choices of contraceptive remains unchanged. However with something like bypass where it is a malabsorbtive procedure the form of contraceptive may change. My iPad won't let me paste the links in this box. But do a search with the key words, "bariatric surgery and contraception"

I did find out do not use the shot because if you lose muscle mass and the body fat the medication to prevent pregnancy actually becomes lost with the weight. The pills I was also told are a more safer methold than any of the IUD's because of the major lawsuites going on with them. I would not suggest getting the nuvaring only because personally I don't see myself shoving my hands that far up in me and I do see alot of fear of them slipping out or becoming loose. I was told this is very common with the nuvaring. I am currently on the Patches and it seems to be the most affective.

I have a copper iud & love it. It doesn't put out any hormones at all, so if you have super irregular periods it may not be for u.

If you're like me & don't do well with hormones though, it's the best contraceptive ever.

I have a copper iud & love it. It doesn't put out any hormones at all, so if you have super irregular periods it may not be for u.

If you're like me & don't do well with hormones though, it's the best contraceptive ever.

Brandy--do you mind me asking, do you find that you have worse cramps or heavy periods since getting the copper IUD? I have a Mirena but it's due to be removed this spring/summer so I'm thinking of switching to copper.

i went back to oral contraceptives. it remains a good option for me since I still have some form of PCOS (but it's fading quickly according to bloodwork and ultrasound!). my surgeon warned me to avoid Depo because of the potential weight gain with it, and ultimately left it up to my OB-Gyn who helped me make an informed decision.

Brandy--do you mind me asking, do you find that you have worse cramps or heavy periods since getting the copper IUD? I have a Mirena but it's due to be removed this spring/summer so I'm thinking of switching to copper.

Don't mind at all! The first 2 years my period was heavier & my cramps were worse, but it has steadied out since then. My doctor told me that it can be like they sometimes.

It was worth it, though. I love that there are no hormones.

I loved my nuvaring. No side effects. Insertion was a bit intimidating, but the pill made me very very sick. I had no weight gain, didn't have to remember to take a pill, and could make it so I didn't have a period every months. I totally recommend it.