Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I am gonna sound soooo crazy here. I talked to my surgeons office and I set up my very first appt to see the surgeon. After that phone call (which was tuesday) I keep catching myself feeling stressed and snapping at people!! I feel like my emotions are so backwards! Instead of being super happy I feel like I am almost grieving food? !?! I practically bit my husband's head off that entire day and yesterday and I couldn't explain to him why. He really doesn't get my relationship with food. He is 6 ft 1 and a bean pole health nut in the military. did anyone else do this after they started out?! Am I crazy?!

To a point I have yes...I'm having a harder time then I before with food...wanting to pig out now cuz I know at some point I will have surgery. Sometimes I can control it other times I justify if...it never ends. As I tell my self take one day at a time...none of this new journey will be easy but it must be done. In the end with a lot of hard work an help I think u an myself will get there. Good luck to u :)

To a point I have yes...I'm having a harder time then I before with food...wanting to pig out now cuz I know at some point I will have surgery. Sometimes I can control it other times I justify if...it never ends. As I tell my self take one day at a time...none of this new journey will be easy but it must be done. In the end with a lot of hard work an help I think u an myself will get there. Good luck to u :)

I'm doing the same thing!!! I think if there was a bit more direction sooner, I think I wouldn't be pigging out as bad... It's like I'm mourning that loss already because I don't know what to expect... I'm glad I found this website.. I think it's arming me with a lot of positive things to think about.. Good luck with your journey everyone ????

It makes me feel crazy to mourn somethin that isn't even gone!!! I catch myself and feel the impulse to slap myself for being so insane about food!

It makes me feel crazy to mourn somethin that isn't even gone!!! I catch myself and feel the impulse to slap myself for being so insane about food!

I'm scared to start exercising or watch what I eat in fear it'll mess with my BMI.. I have a whole month to go before I have first appointment with surgeon, so plenty of time to mourn for me lol.. But yes I agree, for me as well that it's crazy to mourn it already.. I wish that was something that was mentioned in the pre-op phase a bit more.

I'm scared to start exercising or watch what I eat in fear it'll mess with my BMI.. I have a whole month to go before I have first appointment with surgeon, so plenty of time to mourn for me lol.. But yes I agree, for me as well that it's crazy to mourn it already.. I wish that was something that was mentioned in the pre-op phase a bit more.

Like what to do with those feelings. There is this shroud of unknown over the whole process because everyone's insurance and docs are completely different with requirements. Maybe if everything was a bit more cohesive, we could begin processing these feelings without fear of being told it's a no go on surgery.

Im the same way im having my surgery in 3 months

It's a crazy feeling isn't it !!

It makes me question my ability to let things go which makes even more fears pop up!

Same here - I made my appt back in early Dec and it's next week. My BMI is 39.7, barely below the "automatic" 40 that most insurances will approve. But I do have high blood pressure, reflux and asthma, so I think it will get covered. however, I don't want to lose any before my appt just in case! So I've been eating whatever I want and just doing the normal walking the dog I've done in the past.

However, it's a good time to work on the underlying reasons for eating. I've been seeing a therapist for 2 yrs about my eating, and for the longest time I ate out of anger and frustration at my (soon-to-be-ex) husband. We're separated now, but it still took me awhile to stop reaching for food when I'd get upset. Now I"m noticing that more of my eating is just grazing out of boredom and convenience. So I'm working on that - trying to break my automatic snacking while I read or use the computer, for example. b/c otherwise, after surgery I may sabotage myself by eating slider foods, etc.

It makes me question my ability to let things go which makes even more fears pop up!

I think for me the first step is knowing that this is an issue and knowing I'm in the process of fixing it, makes me feel there is a light at end of tunnel.

Have any of u made a the decision on what surgery you're going to have b bypass sleeve or band. Myself I was going toward sleeve but everything I have read an my brief discussion with my doctor I'm leaning towards bypass now.

Same here - I made my appt back in early Dec and it's next week. My BMI is 39.7, barely below the "automatic" 40 that most insurances will approve. But I do have high blood pressure, reflux and asthma, so I think it will get covered. however, I don't want to lose any before my appt just in case! So I've been eating whatever I want and just doing the normal walking the dog I've done in the past.

However, it's a good time to work on the underlying reasons for eating. I've been seeing a therapist for 2 yrs about my eating, and for the longest time I ate out of anger and frustration at my (soon-to-be-ex) husband. We're separated now, but it still took me awhile to stop reaching for food when I'd get upset. Now I"m noticing that more of my eating is just grazing out of boredom and convenience. So I'm working on that - trying to break my automatic snacking while I read or use the computer, for example. b/c otherwise, after surgery I may sabotage myself by eating slider foods, etc.

Good for you on the therapy and how exciting about your up and coming appointment. I'm scared to start the therapy aspect beforehand because of the amount insurance will only cover. I definitely will continue on with therapy afterwards because I know I have an eating disorder. Food has been to much of a friend, happy thing and all kinds of other things to me in my life..

And yes, trying to not fall into old habits is going to be challenging.. Im definitely making mental notes for all the challenges people are having and hope I can easily navigate those moments..

I am wanting the bypass. My bmi is outrageous and I have had family members that have amazing success with the bypass.