Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting the motivation to start working out

I'm posting this as a NSV, because for me (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this), motivation to start working out has always been my biggest struggle with weight loss...

Today, I signed up with a personal trainer! I am going to be doing the sessions with my best friend, which is great because we are really good at supporting and motivating each other.

I have always been scared about starting to work out because I've always told myself that I can't, that I'll do it wrong, I'll end up hurting myself, blah, blah, blah!

I am putting my foot down now though, no more fear! I'm putting my big girl panties on (sidenote: must buy smaller big girl panties as the current ones are falling off), sucking it up and refusing to feed into the excuses I've always created for myself.

I start next week, wish me luck!

@@igotthis98 Way to go!!! Just keep that enthusiasm high, I love that your best friend is going with you just don't make it a competition or comparison contest OK?

It can happen too easily and then it goes from motivating to defeating. Keep each other honest, and on task but each do what you can for YOU and don't worry that she can lift more your can run faster etc.

For many many years when I was young I used to work out all the time. I was a dancer and practiced ballet nearly 4 hours a day every day with dance teachers and competition coaches. When I stopped I really stopped and there are days now when my motivation to get my butt to the gym and push myself into that familiar soreness that I remember all too well is not only lacking but it's just down right resistance!!!

I feel 100 times better when I get there and I get it done, but I fight it every step of the way. I have a trainer and I have been working with him since July and I told him DON"T let me cancel on you!! Some days I have to pull the plug because I am ill or hurt, but I can all too easily get into a pattern and just stop. He's pretty good at keeping me accountable to myself and getting my there and getting it moving once I get there without shaming me or making me feel guilty when I need to take a break.

This is most definitely a wonderful NSV got get 'em girl!!!

Excellent decision. It's always a struggle for me to go to the pool but I've never regretted it once I'm there and start exercising and swimming my laps.

Thank you, ladies!

I'd love to go to a pool, I think I'll look into indoor pool availability in Queens, that would be a refreshing outlet and one that my teenage daughter would love to participate in!

Yes! So happy for you. I often don't feel like exercising but I fake it and then next thing I know I am actually enjoying it. That's when I think some one else may have taken over my body because I can't believe it's me. Oh, I also started doing the arms raised overhead -- like you're crossing a finish line -- when starting up the exercise or just at random times. I watched a Ted Talk about body language and that celebration of success does something to our brains. So put your arms up in the air and yay you -- we are rewiring our brains.

Look online for a Y near you. I use the McBurney Y on 14th Street. Runs me about $90 a month as a resident. That's alot cheaper than the cost of a private gym.

I actually just found one in Flushing Meadow park. Looks like it is $75 for 6 months! That is an awesome deal!!!

Hours are good too - open every night until 10pm, except Sundays until 8pm.