Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting the motivation to start working out

I'm posting this as a NSV, because for me (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this), motivation to start working out has always been my biggest struggle with weight loss...

Today, I signed up with a personal trainer! I am going to be doing the sessions with my best friend, which is great because we are really good at supporting and motivating each other.

I have always been scared about starting to work out because I've always told myself that I can't, that I'll do it wrong, I'll end up hurting myself, blah, blah, blah!

I am putting my foot down now though, no more fear! I'm putting my big girl panties on (sidenote: must buy smaller big girl panties as the current ones are falling off), sucking it up and refusing to feed into the excuses I've always created for myself.

I start next week, wish me luck!

@@igotthis98 Way to go!!! Just keep that enthusiasm high, I love that your best friend is going with you just don't make it a competition or comparison contest OK?

It can happen too easily and then it goes from motivating to defeating. Keep each other honest, and on task but each do what you can for YOU and don't worry that she can lift more your can run faster etc.

For many many years when I was young I used to work out all the time. I was a dancer and practiced ballet nearly 4 hours a day every day with dance teachers and competition coaches. When I stopped I really stopped and there are days now when my motivation to get my butt to the gym and push myself into that familiar soreness that I remember all too well is not only lacking but it's just down right resistance!!!

I feel 100 times better when I get there and I get it done, but I fight it every step of the way. I have a trainer and I have been working with him since July and I told him DON"T let me cancel on you!! Some days I have to pull the plug because I am ill or hurt, but I can all too easily get into a pattern and just stop. He's pretty good at keeping me accountable to myself and getting my there and getting it moving once I get there without shaming me or making me feel guilty when I need to take a break.

This is most definitely a wonderful NSV got get 'em girl!!!

Excellent decision. It's always a struggle for me to go to the pool but I've never regretted it once I'm there and start exercising and swimming my laps.

Thank you, ladies!

I'd love to go to a pool, I think I'll look into indoor pool availability in Queens, that would be a refreshing outlet and one that my teenage daughter would love to participate in!

Yes! So happy for you. I often don't feel like exercising but I fake it and then next thing I know I am actually enjoying it. That's when I think some one else may have taken over my body because I can't believe it's me. Oh, I also started doing the arms raised overhead -- like you're crossing a finish line -- when starting up the exercise or just at random times. I watched a Ted Talk about body language and that celebration of success does something to our brains. So put your arms up in the air and yay you -- we are rewiring our brains.

Look online for a Y near you. I use the McBurney Y on 14th Street. Runs me about $90 a month as a resident. That's alot cheaper than the cost of a private gym.

I actually just found one in Flushing Meadow park. Looks like it is $75 for 6 months! That is an awesome deal!!!

Hours are good too - open every night until 10pm, except Sundays until 8pm.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches