Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your heart do this?

For awhile now I have been noticing that sometimes (usually only in the evening/night) when I take a deep breath while laying down or sitting down, when I exhale, my heart kind of beats harder for about 4-5 beats. It does not skip a beat, double beat or anything like that, its just like a harder pounding for a few beats. I see a cardiologist for sinus tachycardia (fast heart beat), thickening of the heart muscle (due to strain of excess weight on my heart) and a mild mitral valve regurgitation (probably hereditary). I told the cardiologist's nurse in January and she didn't seem concerned, she just said if it started doing it a lot I might need to wear a holter monitor (which I did about year ago and all was fine). Like I said, it only happens sometimes, not always and I cannot make it happen. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The PA who did my physical at my consultation said "Well, I don't want to tell you anything for sure since you are under a cardiologist's care but most people's heartrate does increase upon taking deep breaths."

It just feels kind of odd and I don't remember it doing this before I gained weight. I have an appt with my cardiologist on Tuesday for clearance from him and I will mention it to him. I was just wondering if anyone else has this and if it prevented/delayed surgery. I don't want that to happen, but of course, I dont want to go under anesthesia if there is something else going on with my heart.

For awhile now I have been noticing that sometimes (usually only in the evening/night) when I take a deep breath while laying down or sitting down, when I exhale, my heart kind of beats harder for about 4-5 beats. It does not skip a beat, double beat or anything like that, its just like a harder pounding for a few beats. I see a cardiologist for sinus tachycardia (fast heart beat), thickening of the heart muscle (due to strain of excess weight on my heart) and a mild mitral valve regurgitation (probably hereditary). I told the cardiologist's nurse in January and she didn't seem concerned, she just said if it started doing it a lot I might need to wear a holter monitor (which I did about year ago and all was fine). Like I said, it only happens sometimes, not always and I cannot make it happen. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The PA who did my physical at my consultation said "Well, I don't want to tell you anything for sure since you are under a cardiologist's care but most people's heartrate does increase upon taking deep breaths."

It just feels kind of odd and I don't remember it doing this before I gained weight. I have an appt with my cardiologist on Tuesday for clearance from him and I will mention it to him. I was just wondering if anyone else has this and if it prevented/delayed surgery. I don't want that to happen, but of course, I dont want to go under anesthesia if there is something else going on with my heart.

I get Tachy a lot too but I don't know if it's specifically when I take a deep breath. Maybe when you take a deep breath you are not really breathing right. Is the deep breath due to anxiety? Is it due a series of shallow breaths that you need to "make up for"? Either of those things will make your heart pound a bit.

I would follow up with your doctor and tell him. I just had my band in Thursday and I got really Tachy in the recovery room. They think it was because my respiration rate was too low (they had me on Morphine which completely zonked me out.).

Make sure you tell your surgeon at your pre-op visit too.

Good luck!

I do this, mine is more related to anxiety/panic type thing..It doesn't last but a couple of seconds and after a deep breath. but it sure can be scary...

yeah i always feel it at night in bed too! weird.

but i do go to the heart doc on the 10th for all my results - i'm hoping there is nothing wrong with me.

i embarassed the tech. i first went in for the stress test so i was familiar with how they take the pictures. so then i went in for the echoe and he asked me if i knew what he was going to do? and i said "yes, you are gonna grease me up and take pictures!" boy did he turn red! and then of course i said while getting the pictures "its been years since i've been felt up this much!"

i wonder if i will see him when i get my results! i'll have to say HELLO!