Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading the forum and have found it really helpful. I will be having the Gastric Bypass surgery on the 21st. I've started the liquid diet today. I love the success stories, I was not successful with the band, it slipped and it leaked and was never restrictive. I worry the Bypass won't work for me either but am hopeful. It seems from reading here that the keys to success are exercise, Water and Protein.

I have a sedentary job and when not working, I am studying (also sedentary). I am very out of shape and just not capable of doing even the most basic exercise programs. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how they came from being very sedentary, out of breath and sweating over minimal physical activity to 45 minutes a day of physical activity. My daughter wants me to do a 5k in August with her, it's a color run so not really a race. I think it's possible.

We are the same height and our starting weights are within 10 pounds. Don't know about your age, but I'm 43. Either way, I identify with the feeling of not knowing where to begin with exercise.

I have a ton of home exercise DVDs, often aimed at larger figures: "Heavyweight Yoga", "Plus-Size Pilates", and so forth. I'll be honest, I never made much use of them. I also have all sorts of home equipment, including various free weights, bands, blocks, mats, etc., but have never made much use of them either.

Another idea is to join your local YMCA, which is usually less intimidating and more affordable than an independent gym. You can get a good orientation from the fitness staff, and they hooked me up with basic settings on the exercise bike, treadmill, etc. In my opinion the best part of the Y membership is their Water exercise classes, which for a long time was all I used them for. I now have a hoity-toity gym membership with a full-time professional staff teaching all their classes, and their Water exercise classes don't hold a candle to the Y.

I found the biggest thing that actually works for me is hiring a personal trainer. It's crazy-expensive, but over the course of 6 months my fitness has increased dramatically and I was happy to cut out other discretionary spending to make room in the budget for it. I was completely honest and laid it all on the line with my trainer about my health and where I was at, which was a huge relief because I didn't feel like I had to pretend to be stronger or fitter than I am. When I started with her, I could barely do two flights of stairs without wanting to die. As an extra bonus, she actually introduced me to another of her clients who had used the same surgeon as me six months earlier, which laid a ton of fears to rest on many fronts. I have learned a ton from my trainer and am glad that I made the investment.

But aside from exercise videos and gym memberships and personal training, one way to make progress is just to incorporate more walking in your daily life. Park as far from the door as you can. Set a reminder every hour to get up and walk around the office. Take the stairs when you don't have to.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Anaxila, your suggestions are very helpful! I'm 42, our profiles are very similar. I haven't heard of the DVDs you suggested I'll check them out. I'm planning on going to the Y, I just have to get over the intimidation factor of the whole bathing suit thing. It's been such a cycle for me of gaining weight and wanting to isolate because of my appearance which contributes to my weight gain and on and on. I'm ready to step off of this ride!

@@Begin Again, I hear you on the bathing suit intimidation factor. But I'll tell you, there was nothing so freeing as being freaked out but just going ahead anyway. There will be people at the Y in the Water class who are bigger than you. There will be people at the Y in the Water class who are smaller than you. And none of them care what you look like. And all of them will encourage you the same way you encourage them. I've been to many different Ys in several states, all while morbidly obese, and this has been my experience every time. My advice is to buy a swimsuit online (landsend.com has reasonable prices and good selection in plus sizes), and take the plunge both literally and figuratively. Of course, you won't be able to get in the water for several weeks after surgery. But, you know... after that. :)

If you have trouble finding the DVDs online, let me know and I'll send you some links to Amazon.< /p>

It's nice to make the acquaintance of someone so similar to myself. I realize I sound like some sort of self-nominated expert with this advice, but I assure you that I'm just learning this stuff too. I know we can both do this.

Edited by anaxila

Anaxila- Thank you so much for your supportive message. You definitely don't sound like a self-nominated expert but rather a fellow passenger on this journey sharing your honest experience. I hope to be able to repay the favor someday. It's nice to know that I'm not traveling this road alone. Congratulations on your weight loss!