Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out of boredom

being how we're here in this forum I wondered what everyones "triggers" are for going to the cupboard. I'm not an emotional eater. I attended a support meeting where the speaker related overeating to alchoholism. I didn't relate to the things he was saying. my problem is one I have a very large sweet tooth and two I find myself wandering to the kitchen if I'm bored. how do you all cope with this? I have some hobbies but there's always time when you are sitting around with nothing to do when your mind starts wondering whats in the fridge.

I had this too. It eventually led me to counting my calories. I hated being back on a diet.

Then the craving and what is in the fridge feelings left me. So maybe give yourself some time ....

edie

Boredom is a big trigger for me too. Gum helps (I using diet soda pre-band, and now i avoid bubbles) just be sure not to swallow it...It seems wierd, but the more busywork I have to do for other people, the more bored I get and I have really fallen off the wagon. Routine helps in the "get it out of the house" way. Be in the routine of not buying it. If goodies have to be around, freeze them so they are available to not addicted family members, but harder to eat for us.

I eat out of boredom too and I havent broken this habit yet. I also eat to sooth stress and I havent broken that either.

One thing that works for me, really well actually, is to eat something like a sandwich for lunch. bread is incredibly filling for me, I'm lucky I can even eat it at all, I know its unusual. If I eat a sandwich for lunch, even if the afternoon is loooooong and boring, I wont eat. I wont feel the urge. I lose weight at times when I eat things like sandwiches and rolls for lunch because overall, I eat less.

But I'm a little afraid to fill myself up that much for fear of stretching my pouch. I should ask my doc about that. Its not eating to the point of discomfort by a long shot but I'm still not sure about it.

Munching on almonds and peanuts is helpful to me.....and they are good for you and high in Protein.

Also when I think I'm hungry or want to munch, I fix a warm drink of some sort.....hot tea with SF Syrup or herbs in it seems to curb the cravings....or a mug of coffee with a scoop of chocolate Protein helps a lot.

I second the tea theory. I make a pot of tea. 32 ounces.

I pretty much say no food until the tea is gone. You can do the same with Water or other beverages.

Or you know the V8 commercials. Knock yourself in the head and say, "I'm bored, I'm eating because I'm bored, and that will keep me from my goal." Then stop eating.

You'll feel like a Kook talking to yourself, but it might get you to stop.

Good Lucky.

OH Juli