Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New (from Pontiac, MI) What to do??

Hi All :wave:

1st post here. I've been thinking about having LB surgery for about two years now so with all my health problems piling up I thought it was time to get serious. I've read so much but not sure where or who to go to. I live near St. Joseph Hospital in Pontiac where DR Pleatman works out of but I've read some very good things about DR Doel. I think I would be more comfortable with a woman doctor but I would use who ever is the best for me in the long run.

About myself: I live in Pontiac, Michigan. 53 yrs old, 262 lb., 5' 6" with several health problems:

• severe sleep apnea
  • high blood pressure
  • back pain all the time (had 3 back surgeries already)
  • am supposed to have neck surgery due to bad discs but would rather try and get the weight off and see if that helps the pain
  • High cholesterol
  • short of breath doing anything
  • etc., etc., etc.

I have 2 grand children (3 yrs old grandson and 3 weeks old granddaughter) whom I cherish and want to spend most of my time with since I am unable to work due to my bad back, but am unable to now due to so much aches and pains and tired all the time from sleep apnea (unable to use cpap much). My husband who I know loves me doesn't know how to help or support me. He is a shy/hate hospitals kind of guy so he wouldn't be a good supporter for me even though I love him to death. And everyone else I've talked to works a lot. So that could be a problem. Don't you have to have a supporter before you can see the DR?

OK sorry for rambling and winning. Let me just end by saying I've read many messages here and you all sound like a great group of people. Thank you for your caring and great information.

HUGS :) , Brenda

I say find yourself a seminar to go to and get some info. Some places require you to attend their seminar before surgery and it would be a great way to get information. Take DH with you if you can get him to go along. I have also heard good things about Dr. Deol though I did not get my surgery done. I had my surgery done at Oakwood in Dearborn by Dr. Bacal and I could not be happier about it. I had a great experience and am being very well taken care of.

Hello and Welcome!! I am from Michigan as well. Southfield. I feel as you do, brehere, at 53 it is time for me to get serious about my weight too. I am at the very beginning stage of all this. I am going to Beaumont next week for the seminar, as I have said before in another post. They require the seminar as babygrl1234 stated.

The people here on this forum are so nice. It is great to have a place to get real support, encouragement and plenty of information.

Thank you so much for the information. I did forget to mention in my 1st post that I called Dr Doel's office last week and made a reservation to go to a seminar. The lady I talked to told me that the next availible would be Thursday, July 10th @ 7PM. And she said to go to Beaumont Hospital classroom #5. I was hoping to get onto a seminar sooner but I will take what ever is open.

I wonder if I should try to get into one with Dr Pleatman if it would be sooner than July 10th.

Babygrl1234: I'm so proud of you for your weight loss. I am always proud of anyone that can loose weight because I know how hard it can be. I've lived with being over weight most of my life. You Go Girl!

FxyLdy: Very happy to hear that you are taking that first step. I wish you all the luck, love and happiness. You Go Girl Too!

I will keep reading to get all the info I can and I did just talk to hubby a short time ago and let him know how I feel and about this great group here on Lapbandtalk. He said if it will help me get well he will be my supporter. I cried of course because if you knew my husband he isn't one for doing anything like this and not because he doesn't love me.

Well, guess I better get reading about insurance. That's one thing I haven't even read about yet. I have bcbs PPO through my husband's work. Hope it won't be a struggle to get approved. Is anyone on here familiar with this insurance? I do hope that I can get an approval without a big fight.

Hugs, Brenda

I hope and pray that all goes well for you....Sounds like your dh is on your side..that is great...It really does help to have your husand supporting you in this journey...mine has been really great...I am so glad that he understands....he tries not to eat anything in front of me that might tempt me....I have the band and that keeps me on the straight and narrow....but I sure appreciate him trying to help me out...

Brenda,

You have the same insurance as me! BCBS PPO is a good insurance to have. The most difficult thing they require is a 12 month medically "supervised" diet. However they are pretty lax about it. I had five visits to my Dr. within a year. Two were at the beginning of the year, one was in the middle and two were at the end. At all five we discussed my weight and ways to lose weight. That was enough to get me approved. I also had to have a psyc evaluation which was easy peasy. My psychologist that the program works with has a band herself and she was awesome.

Best advice I can give you is get to your doctor now and get the documentation started if you haven't already. Heck get there now even if you have. The more documentation the better.

If you are interested in going to a seminar sooner and don't mind a little drive Oakwood is having one on Wed June 6th from 5-7pm. Here is the link for it https://www.oakwood.org/?id=3&sid=1&f=i&t=49&class_id=101568&fee=0

Terry, the bariatric coordinator is awesome and they really do a great job of helping you get your insurance approval.