Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have siatica can i still get surgery

I want the surgry like I want to breathe.I have been out of work almost 4 months due to nerve pain from my herniated disc I have gained a lot of weight being on steroids this long. I have been overweight for ever now my bmi is over 50. Would a Doctor deny me because of this? I would rather try and see if i loose weight would help my back before getting back surgery. My bariatric clinic here charges a $400 dollar fee before I can even ask. Thanks for any input.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask my primary care physician what they think of your situation. However, having said that, I fail to see how a shooting nerve pain from your buttock down the back of your leg would prevent you from having WLS.

Not a doctor, yada yada yada.

I want the surgry like I want to breathe.I have been out of work almost 4 months due to nerve pain from my herniated disc I have gained a lot of weight being on steroids this long. I have been overweight for ever now my bmi is over 50. Would a Doctor deny me because of this? I would rather try and see if i loose weight would help my back before getting back surgery. My bariatric clinic here charges a $400 dollar fee before I can even ask. Thanks for any input.

Are there any informational seminars in your area? I want to say yes, but like @@Sharon1964 i am not a doctor, yada, yada.

I want the surgry like I want to breathe

@@curious_girl

like @@Sharon1964 @@BLERDgirl (me too)

said they/we are not docs :blink:

we are very smart though (especially me!!! :D)

only kidding

well actuallly.................... :lol:

don't think sciatica would be a reason to deny surgery :wacko:

herniated disc too :angry:

crazy, in the case of wanting to be approved for surgery

the more co-morbities the better :wacko:

good luck with approval :)

kathy

Thanks ladies I'm going to my pcp next week to see if she will get me a referral to the bariatric program they gave me one about 6 months ago but my insurance wouldn't cover it but now I will have an insurance provider that will yea. Also this is the only place in my town that does surgery.

Good to know I know some Doctor's don't want to touch you if something is wrong my other fear was not being able to exercise as much but I did hear swimming is good for nerve pain

Not a doctor - but my husband has similar diagnoses, Cymbalta and Lyrica have done wonders to control his pain - although he's gained another 40 lbs from the Lyrica.

In terms of nerve / back issues preventing surgery - Anesthesia may require a separate disclaimer, because you're positioned on your back... but given that surgery is less than 2 hours long, I can't see it being a contraindication.

Good luck!

With more reason to have surgery. Your bac pains could be from the weight your carrying. I had a similar issue but not so severe. At bmi 50, your definitely a candidate and most likely you have other issues that would be relieved with weightloss surgery. Go to your primary to discuss. If you have open access insurance meaning no referrals required...i would go straight to a specialized surgeon for bariatrics for a consultation.

Not sure about that 400.00 upfront. What is that about exactly?

I have a BMI of 49 and have spinal stenosis and Achilles tendonitis. Water therapy is awesome in an actual heated therapy pool. My PT said even sitting doing an arm bike for cardio is acceptable.