Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Guide for best results

What are the best foods to buy before and after the surgery? & food portion sizes, is it individual or other?. I have just joined a health fund so I have to wait 12mths for my surgery in the mean time I want to prepare. Got any tips, do's and don'ts?.

You can over investigate an make yourself crazy. You'll need to do your research in choosing a doctor and a program that works best for you. Once you decide on the specific type of WLS you'll know what foods to buy. For know I wouldn't even come here. Just do basic prep such as:

• Incorporating some form of regular exercise into your daily routine, even if it's just walking 30 minutes or more each day.
  • Start a food diary. Pay attention the macro nutrients. Processed foods are full of sodium and sugars. Try to reduce your use of them as much as possible.
  • Fast Foods are also extremely high in sodium and sugar, again try to reduce your usage
  • Try to opt for more complex carbs versus simple carbs like refined sugars, white rice, potatoes and breads
  • Cut back or eliminate soda and caffeinated drinks like coffee & teas

If you can locate a seminar on WLS surgery in your are and attention. It will give you an overview of what to expect. How long the pre-op process will be for your particular program and the like.

What is a health fund? Why is there a one year wait requirement?

Great response! Some of these tips I'm doing already. I just felt I should try and live the lifestyle as if I'd already had the surgery so as it would not be such a cultural change for me down tge track. Thank you for your advice.

I think it's easier to cut back gradually. Glad to hear you are already using some of these tools. I used Protein shakes before surgery because it was easier for me to stomach before going to the gym.

oh yeah and You're Welcome! :D

Edited by BLERDgirl

I politely disagree with miss Blerdgirl on one point: Come here all you want and ask questions as they come up.

I do agree that a journal is a great idea. Start writing this stuff down, because there is too much stuff to remember over a year's time.

Post-op supplies that I am glad I bought:

1. Kitchen scale - at a year out I still measure everything. Some people don't, but for me, if I don't track, I lose track.

2. Baby spoons - they really helped me adjust to smaller bites

3. Shake/blender cup with the mixer ball in

4. Mortar and pestle for crushing pills

Except for the baby spoons, I use these things every day.

Most of our pre-op plans have us doing these basic things to break old habits and build new habits. ( I have heard that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit.)

Eat Protein and plenty of it.

Eat your Protein first, then non-starchy veg, then fruit but not so much.

(fruit is an apple, not apple pie a la mode)

Wean yourself off of caffein, soda pop, sugar, starches, and foods made in a factory. Start cooking from fresh ingredients so that you can control the content of your food.

Drink Water until your eyeballs float.

Don't become part of the sofa.

If I had a penny for every time a newbie asked for this information, I would have something like $1.08! :rolleyes:

So, welcome to the forum. You will find that opinions and tact will vary. Just take what speaks to you and disregard the rest. We welcome free speak and open minds, just no shade or disrespect. Most topics can be found in the search bar, just make sure you click on the little arrow for a drop-down menu that will come you options for your search. Clicking on Forums instead of Topics will give you broader results.

Geeze, I mean "Give you options". I haven't had Breakfast yet - brain's not awake.

@@Miss Mac - As much as I like this forum I would never recommend it for pre-ops. The horror stories outweigh the happy successes and if you aren't someone who has had previous positive medical experiences it can be intimidating. I've seen far too many post of people who perseverate on worries about the gas, nausea and pain. I found the support groups my program offers to be much more helpful. I wanted to get my pre-op questions from the my bariatric team. Thankfully they were a tremendous support and of course, I had the handbook my program offers that I was able to use a my bible.

I feel I need to look long term, so I think I'd rather know how to combat the after affects and know the risk but it doesn't out weigh all the great postives.

> I've seen far too many post of people who perseverate on worries about the gas, nausea and pain.

I had to look that word up. Exactly perfect! B)

Edited by Bacon-n-Limes

I had to look that word up. Exactly perfect! B)

Heh! I think it's a throw back from my days in Early Intervention. It's how we would describe certain behaviors.

I don't have a gallbladder so my body doesn't break down foods like other people so I'm used to gas, acid issues, occasional heartburn or reflux if really bad. By my second and third child being C-sections the gas and pain was bad. Currently I suffer with dermatitis, arthritis to most of my joints, hair thining plus bluh, bluh. I've tried all conventional methods to lose weight nothing has been sustainable. I'm at my biggest ever and I'm feeling it all over. Depression and boredom along with allot of different circumstances have meant weight gain. Please keep sharing because your all insprational to me and all you have to say is a big support. No one understands unless you experience it yourself. Thanks girls.

I would look at what foods you currently eat that you gallbladder best handles and choose the ones that are healthy and high in Protein. Those are the foods you will be eating post op.