Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I sabotaging myself or is this normal?

I just entered my fourth week post surgery and I feel like I am sabotaging myself. I say that because I am able to eat more than 1/4 cup of Protein before I feel full. I can also drink (slowly) without pain rather than sipping. I feel fullness when drinking before I will feel fullness from eating. I feel full when I eat 2/3 cup of protein. I feel like I have stopped my weight loss before it can truly begin. At my first dr apt, I was down to 193. Two weeks later at another appointment, I was still 193! Is this normal? I am feeling discouraged and would appreciate any help and advice.

My dietician suggested waiting 1 minute between bites the size of marbles. It really does work, in that you feel fuller while eating less.

I can relate a bit.. I feel fuller, quicker from fluids than with food. I'm 2 months out but had mucho complications and basically had my last surgery at the end of December (so I am kinda 3 weeks post op) I have lost over 80 lbs but have kinda stalled here for the last 2-3 weeks. I am also able to eat and drink at the same time.. Why is this bad again? Feeling a false sense of full?? Or am I perhaps at the dreaded 10 or so week plateau?? Help??

Shelly

@@shellbell79

My surgeon discourages drinking anything 30 minutes before to 30 minutes after a meal. The thought behind this is having liquid in your belly before food will fill up the space with zero nutrients, leaving even less room for food. No liquid during or right after a meal because it will "wash out" any food you've eaten, making the amount of nutrients you absorb even less. Makes total sense to me, so I follow it.

I am also able to drink and eat at the same time but I have been avoiding doing so. I have also been told that during this "stall" that I should eat more Protein, more often. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason we are told not to drink before, during and immediately after meals is that the food needs to stay in your stomach for 45 minutes in order to tell your brain you are full and most importantly, allow you to stay full for 5 hours before needing to eat again. The purpose of this surgery is so that we don't eat as much. If we drink before and immediately after meals, we push the food through the stomach leaving us hungry sooner than we should be. You will, of course, be physically able to eat and drink at the same time, it just will mean you are hungrier sooner, eating more calories per day than you would need otherwise. I don't know about everyone else, but I want this weight off as soon as possible.

I was told to eat Protein first, vegetables second and starches last. The protein will help to avert hunger, also sources of protein are typically dense and will stay in the stomach longer without being pushed through