Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If your friend is going throught Kaiser, I would think that they would probably go through So. San Francisco. I'm from the Reno side of Sacramento and that's where they sent me. The other bay area place is Richmond.

I've been on a bit of a hiatus the past few months. The process takes sooooo long I'm beginning to lose heart. I've been at this since February and it's wearing on me. Since my last post, I have only had the psych consult. I'm waiting on the next appointment (whatever and whenever that is). The gals who answer the phones in Richmond Kaiser are probably pretty fed up with me calling every week to see if there's any open appointments due to cancellations.

I've just about given up on the band ever happening. Got any words of wisdom for keeping my spirits up and the my willpower focused. I can't be the only one who has been this frustrated by hanging in limbo.

And I thought SSF was bad!! Unfortunately, there are so many of us that need this surgery that Kaiser is getting overwhelmed. Of course we all know that there are only 3 Kaisers, right? LOL I'm hoping that as they see how many of us want this surgery that they will open up some of the other Kaisers to do it. I wouldn't be unhappy at all if they decided to do it in Sacramento or Roseville. That would certainly ease the load somewhat.

Words of wisdom....Ok....this is for the rest of your life. I mean being done with the weight and being able to do whatever you want is so huge that when you look back on this and say it was a bitch but truly worth it. I don't know how long you had to wait for say your first car but I had to wait quite a while. Once I got it I felt like I had made a great accomplishment. Then the payments started....well we all know that drama. Anyway, what I do while I am waiting for the process to end is read the boards and use this time to loose whatever I can so that when I do get the band it will take me less time to get to goal and then be able to finally stay there. I'm not going to tell you that it's not discouraging or that I don't have a hard time of it sometime. I do. But for the first time in my life I have put myself first and I plan on keeping myself near the head of the line. I neglected myself for so many years and that's why I now have to wait this thing out. Even my husband has commented on how I've changed and how I now take the time for me and I'm interested in me.

Keep on bugging them. When they cancelled my psych appointment on me I blew up. They were going to give me one for October 1st which would have put me another 6 weeks out. I called back the following Monday and guess what...they had a cancellation for the following Friday which only put me another week out. Then I called them to make sure the appointment with the surgeon was set. So bug them. They view this as elective surgery (that's a quote) and therefore not urgent. All of the girls at the department in SSF are skinny and have never had to deal with this outside the job. BUG THEM WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE!

Thanks for the words of wisdom and sympathy. I know I need to stay on track and be the pleasantly squeeky wheel, but the don't-call-us-we'll-call-you attitude from Kaiser staff is tough to bear somedays. I'll get on the phone this morning so I can bug them with a smile on my face!

I have hit a plateau and I'm not losing. It's frustrating when coupled without a light at the end of the tunnel. As with all things, it's rarely one solitary matter that brings me down. But you're right, I need to focus on the long-term benefit for my present troubles.

Thanks for the boost! I'll post again when I have news. Good luck on your journey.

Unfortuately, in SSF at least, they don't have a system set up where they call you if an appointment becomes available due to a cancellation. I was told that it was my responsibility to call them everyday to find out if one became available. I haven't done so until now because my calendar has been rather full. I am, however, going to start doing exactly the same as you. I'm not in the same position because I do have an appointment but would like to see it moved up.

One of the things that I totally hated was the fact that they didn't contact me and tell me anything. I called once and asked which orientation group they were scheduling and got a better answer. I also kept an eye on my appointments via the webpage and saw them before I actually got the information from Kaiser. This, however, can be rather addicting and disappointing.

When I started this program I was told that I would have the surgery within 4 - 6 months of orientation. Fortunately, mine will be only a little longer than the 6 months. I probably could have found a way to self pay but I couldn't justify strapping my husband and me because I didn't have the patience to go through the Kaiser program. My plan through the City of Rocklin pays for the surgery, I just have to pay my $15 co-pay. I'm not sure how I would feel if I were still getting the silent treatment.

From what I was told by a friend of mine going through the system, they ask at the required classes (you attend after your appointment with the surgeon) if there was anything that you felt wasn't handled right. One of the things that came up is this lack of communication. When I go on October 27th if they ask I'll tell them the same thing along with the fact that it concerns me that they consider this an elective surgery. To me this is about as elective as cleaning out your arteries to avoid a heartattck or stroke. Both are PREVENTATIVE not elective.

Enough of my soapbox routine. Email me privately if you want. I am very interested in your progress.

Hey Vicki,

I can barely believe it but Kaiser finally called. Thank God I was home.... five minutes after five on a Friday. I would have been on pins and needles all weekend if I had heard that one on voice mail!!

So, I'm scheduled for the five-hour orientation in two weeks. I'm sure it will be another two month wait for whatever is next, but I'm feeling really excited. At least the process is back in motion.

Have you done this orientation already? I have no idea what they cover or what the purpose of the class. It's probably all about the bypass surgery and not lap band. I'm sure I'll get something worthwile out of it no matter what.

Hey Warrior - It was sure a good thing that you caught that. Glad to hear that they've got you going again. These large gaps that they have make it really hard to keep motivated. I had to take a lifestyles class that was about 3 hours long and our initial orientation that was a couple of hours long. I don't know about this 5 hour class. But I hear that even the 3 Kaisers that do this have totally different programs. I have a class at the end of the month on the 27th in Sacramento that I have to attend. I guess I have to go to them until surgery from now on. Once a month isn't too bad though. They also have me scheduled for my phone appointment with the nurse on Friday and then I meet with the surgeon on the 23rd. After that besides the classes the only thing that is left is the pre-op appointment (normal surgery thing) and the surgery. Hopefully I will have the surgery before the end of January. They are saying 2.5 to 3 months after the meeting with the surgery unless someone cancels and I'm sure the waiting list for that is huge.

My friend, Kim, just had the surgery on Wednesday and I have also been in touch with someone who got their surgery in July. Both say that they are happy with the staff and are doing pretty well. Kim said that the worst of it is the port site. It was pretty sore the next day. I haven't heard from her since then. She was pretty whipped just from the fact that she had surgery. She said that there was another girl in the room that had had the lap band surgery on the same day and she was up walking around and chatting with everybody. It goes to show you the difference between people.

I'm so happy that they have this scheduled for you. You'll have to let me know what it was all about. It will be interesting to find out the other Kaiser's method of operation. I heard one doesn't require a psych evaluation. They're not hard anyway but it's just a curious thing.

Keep on them and be the squeeky wheel. This will happen for both of us. I know your frustration. As my sister told me...this time next year we'll be looking back and saying that it might have been frustrating but we'd do it all over again.

Take care and email me privately if you want to.

Does anyone have a soft copy of the eating plan from Kaiser Nor Cal.. I have the book at home but would love to have a copy I could email someone.

Vikki, Kim, Warrior - where are you guys? Are you still on this forum? We have a new bunch of Kaiser Richmond folks, I'm at Kaiser Santa Rosa with Dr. Baggs in Richmond for my surgery - I would love to hear you you are all doing!!

Riley

I just found out that I got bumped up. I was wondering why I was seeing the surgeon already when I haven't even had the doctor consult but they told me that they have a hang up between the Medical Director visit and the surgeon visit so they found healthy patients and bumped them directly to the surgeon. This may be happening sooner than I thought WOOOHOO!!

Wow Minxz! Good for you!

Hey, hey everybody! Happy New Year to you all!!! I certainly hope that the new year is good for everyone and I hope that those of you waiting for surgery are fast tracked!! I passed my bandiversary on the 12th and even now have to pinch myself to believe that I've been at goal weight since August. I still live waiting to see the weight come back and this great little tool keeps it from happening.

Life has been a little tough the last couple of months with my DH being unemployed. It is sure testing me. Every once in a while I find myself starting to fall into some bad habits like minor grazing. I'm working on that and trying to work on my new hobby of jewelry making instead. It will be easier as the weather gets better so I can do some rockhounding too. Hopefully things will get better this spring.

I haven't heard from Kim (SSF) or Warrior for a while but I hope they are doing well.

Good luck in the New Year and keep me posted on how you're doing.

I talked to Kaiser Richmond today and they said the person who schedules appointments is out but that those of use still waiting should get a phone call next week to schedule our first appointment after orientation.

Minx what is this about fast tracking? I heard that from someone else a couple of weeks ago that they were being fast tracked as well. What is going on with this.

They went to surgeon app, psych app and than lose weight and straight to preop and surgury. No case manager or nutrition class.

Is this the new thing for the new year?? Hmmm

Kaiser Richmond seems disorganized right now. They have a few people out and there is a lack of communication for sure.

I hear with the new year things are going to change at Kaiser Bariatrics. No more PCP referral after the new year. So alot more patients no doubt

Keep me updated

Vikkie, thanks for posting! We are all a little tired with the waiting game, it is so great and heartening to see that you were once waiting like us and, a year or so from now, hopefully we will be at or below goal and maintaing, too! Congratulations!

:confused:

Riley