Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Time Post

Guest Tanise

Guest Tanise

Hi Lap Band friends! This is new for me so be gentle! I had lap band surgery in 7/03 and have lost 123 pounds! Have gone from 285 pounds to 162 pounds and dropped from a size 26 to a size 6-8. I have been very fortunate and do not have to have plastic surgery. I must stress that exercise is the key. I am 45 years old and a grandmother. I feel like a new woman and everyone says I look and act like a new woman! I have never been this happy or felt this good in my life. I feel like I am 16 years old! Amazing what a little weight loss and exercise can do for you. I regret that I didn't find out about the band sooner! My insurance paid for it too! I am so excited about the rest of my life and being able to have a normal life. I can ride roller coasters and not be embarassed because I can't fit into the seat. I can ride an airplane and not have to ask for a seat belt extension. I can run and jump just like a kid. I love it. I love looking in the mirror and seeing a different person. Good luck to any new lap band persons!

Amazing and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You have done great. Any techniques newbies would find helpful such as your typical meal types, fill size and frequency, etc??? Keep up the good work. Are you at goal now? Teresa

Tanise, that's fantastic! You're an inspiration to those of us who are just getting started. Do you have any before-and-after photos?

Welcome Tanise!! So great to hear veteran bandsters who've had great results! Congratulations on a job well done!

Guest Tanise

Oh, thanks so much for replying! I have several tips that I share with prospective and new lap band patients. (1) Exercise, exercise, exercise! That is the most important step of all. I began walking within a week after surgery and I have not stopped. The walking has made such a difference in my body structure. I used to have huge hips even when I was not heavy but now, I have slim hips and I think that attributes to my size. The last time I weighed (20 years ago) 162, I wore a size 16! Now a size 6-8...the walking definitely has made a difference. (2) I eat off of a saucer rather than a full size plate. When we go out, I usually get a half order of whatever or I eat from the appetizer menu. No sense wasting money on a full entree! Sometimes my husband will order a larger steak and give me some of it. When I eat from a saucer, it gives me the feeling that my plate is full and if I eat everything on my plate (rarely), I can feel as though I have a "happy plate" like my mom used to make me do when I was a child. Big mistake! (3) Drink Water all day long. In the mornings, I fill a gallon Water jug with ice and water and I sip on it all day. In the evenings when I get home, I add lemon and Splenda to the remainder of my water for a change. Delicious lemonade!

As for my fills, I have had three in 15 months. Not sure how much Dr. Ponce (Dalton, GA) adds but they have all been worth it. This last fill which was about eight weeks ago...well I have only lost 3 pounds but I am on the down slope. I reached my doctor's goal several months ago of 178 pounds. My goal for me is 150. I am not sure if I can reach it. When you get to this point, every pound is a lot of weight. You can see every pound lost. I am pretty happy where I am and really don't want to be too skinny. However, reaching that goal for me is a mental thing and an accomplishment. I am not giving up.

I just can't stress the exercise enough. That is the key to your band working for you. Follow all the rules...for real! Do what they tell you and you will succeed. I basically lived by the book for the first three months. Now that I am so close to my goal, I can have a piece of chocolate once in a while.

As far as my food goes, I cannot eat most breads. Cornbread and biscuits are ok but can't eat much. I can eat Red Lobster's biscuits (only one) whereas I used to eat five or six! I eat red meat but now I get my steak medium or medium rare because it is so tender and believe it or not, the flavor is so much better when it is not cooked to death. I eat salads galore! Lots of steamed veggies. Not much Pasta...it swells and I usually end up having to make a trip to the restroom to ...well you know.

With regard to the throwing up, or as I like to refer to it, burping with chunks (sorry)...I only have to if I have over eaten, not chewed my food well enough, or eaten too fast. Also, if I drink before or during, it usually fills me up and I can't take any more in so I have to go to the bathroom. I try not to drink with my meals. It really isn't that hard, just a bad habit.

I have before and after photos but they are not on the web. However, I was in the August issue of Ladies' Home Journal (North Georgia issue); only in subscription issues and not on the newsstand issues. I was a size 14 in the picture but have drastically changed since then.

It is always so nice to talk with lap band "friends". If any of you have other questions, please feel free to respond to this. I am always eager to help and give advice that has helped me through the past 15 months. It has truly been the best thing I have done in my entire life with the exception of getting saved!

Good luck to you all...

Tanise... thanks so much for sharing your success and welcome to the forum! I hope that I will be able to look back in a year and see a change like yours!

Darcy

Guest Tanise

44 pounds lost!!! That is great...sounds like you are doing really well. Keep up the good work and just exercise. Don't get discourage if you gain a pound every now and then...it is just Water or even better, muscle!

Good luck

WOW what and inspirational story!

Fantastic Job..you give us all hope!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you stick around so I can pick your brain from time to time

A Huge Congratulations to you!! I could not even imagine being a size 6 nor can I remember the last time I was a size 6..

Guest Tanise

Hi Michelle...funny thing is, I was never below a size 10 before now. This is a real treat for me too because I was always in the double digits. When I had my surgery in July 2003, I sincerely thought I would get down to a size 14 or maybe a 12 at the smallest! I was utterly surprised when I wore a size 12 and weighed 180 pounds. I am really a true eight now but I have about 3-4 size 6 pairs of pants. It just depends on the brand...a little advice...Liz Claiborne runs large. I love her clothes (when they are on sale racks) because I can wear a smaller size.

You are doing great and I am here for any questions you might have.

Keep up the good work.

Tanise, you sound like one amazing lady! Hope to get to know you much better! Congrats on your phenomenal loss, that's astounding for just one year!! Please come back and keep us posted! I think I was a size 8 in like 3rd grade LOL, so someday I hope to join you!!!!

Much love,

Katie

Wow, an amazing and encouraging story!!! How tall are you? What is an average day's menu (food types and quantities)? Did you have any pre-existing health issues? Thanks so much for all of your advice!

Tanise, the change you describe is amazing! Congrats. on our success!!! I'm with Michelle I can't remeber the last time I was a 6......maybe I was born a plus size.

Hi Tanise, welcome!! How wonderful to hear from a veteran bandster who's been so successful!!

Have you had any problems along the way? Any worries about slippage or any need for unfills? Or has it been smooth sailing for you?

Nice to meet you!!

Such a great story Tanise! You have done wonderful and I know you are proud of yourself. I hope one day I can look back and be glorified by my success. I long for the day, but I also know I didn't get this way in a day, so its gonna take awhile, and I am sure we all feel that way. Your story was very inspirational to me today, I just about boohood........... that will definitely get me going for the day! wooohoooo Hugz to you and keep smiling.

Jodie