Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am considering getting the surgery. I travel a lot for my job, and when I do, I rarely have time to stop for lunch. I do, however, have time to eat while driving between locations. What suggestions do you have for portable foods I could bring with me to eat on the run? :hungry:

While traveling, I currently eat Breakfast, snack on something during the day, and eat one large meal around 3:00 or 4:00 and I'm full for the rest of the evening. I know I will not be able to eat that way after surgery.

Can most of you eat Peanut Butter crackers? Is that hard to eat?

Knowing if I can work the surgery into my life is major factor in my final decision. I am pretty sure I am going to have the surgery, but I want to cover all of my bases first.

Alysa

Alysa,

I guess you can find foods to eat on the run....You will just have to find time to eat...and you have to eat slowly....taking small bites and chew,chew, chew...no drinking 30 minutes before meal and no drinking one hour after..or at least that is my doctors orders...every doctor is different, so yours might not require the drinking order....I don't know...Good luck to you...I hope all goes well for you....

My husband travels a lot for his job too and this was one of his concerns as well. He decided to take Protein Drinks and bars with him when he was travelling and eat his one meal a day out. He's always home on the weekends and travels every other week except in the summer. So, he's just decided to suck it up when he has to be on the run and stick to Protein Shakes and canned fruit (in natural juices of course). When you do eat, you'll be well advised from your doc and nutritionist, to eat with NO distractions, take tiny bites, chew and chew and chew some more, not to drink for a certian amount of time before and after meals. Hope that helps answer your questions :) Good luck in whatever you decide

I also agree with Musical's husband, that is safest way to go. Protein Bars and shakes, but in a pinch, you could buy one that you don't normally have. I would stay away from peanutbutter crackers andf other junk food like that. It is junk food unless you are using natural Peanut Butter and whole wheat crackers and even then they are high in calories and fat. Junk food is abundant out there, and it goes down easy, but you will have to work 2-3 times as hard to overcome the extra calories. let's face it, 30 minutes on a treadmill won't even get rid of 1 candy bar (300 cal). So, must look at that or you will be unhappy later.

Alysa,

You may want to purchase a small portable cooler and ice packs to keep in your car. Some great Snacks are string cheese, gogurt (it's the yogurt in the tube like a popsicle) cups of applesauce. They also have the Campbells Soup at hand, which may not be too bad right out of the cup, but you could always stop at a gas station and ask to use the microwave. You could also purchase a thermos and put hot Soup in it in the morning before you leave. It should stay warm by lunch.

Lynette

I work in food service and my schedule (5 am to ???) doesent allow for the best of eating habits (hense the lap band!)....I have an adkins shake in the morning around 8. At lunch, I have rolled up turkey/cheese (about 3 slices of each), and for dinner, I have some tuna fish with a couple of crackers. I used to eat everything in sight since I have total access to the food, but I learned to bring it in from home. I have an insulated lunch box with an ice pack in it, and it keeps everything cold. I know this won't work while you are on the road, but if you stop to get something, you can always get the sandwich and eat the inside of it, leaving the bread. When you eat out you have to be careful, if you only knew what was in some of the food you eat. You are safe though with a sandwich or salad, something to that effect.

Hi there. I also travel with my job. I had my surgery 3/29/07. Traveling, no problem. The Soup drinks are great. I just pull in to Speedway type stations and go to the grocery asle and get a Tomato or cream of chicken soup...pop in their microwave 1 1/2 minutes, pay and go. I use the crystal light individual packs to pour in my Water, love the OJ, grape and peach tea! I carry the small 3 oz tuna, chicken, turkey cans with the pop top, also. Sams and costco type stores have the chicken salad packs in 3 0z with the spoon in the pack to go! You can be very creative and make it work for you! Good Luck, Jen