Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FUNNY question for post op 3 weeks or less

Ok a lil humor but have to know if anyone who has recently had the surgery are home thinking " hmmm, I'm still fat, but I KNOW I had the surgery" LMAO I.e. just waiting for the magic from the hard work to show? I'm 9 days post op and refuse to get on a scale. I don't intend on becoming obsessive with a scale. I just want to focus on doing this properly and see results. With that being said can't wait for 90 days out to see progress. Please share what u have been thinking.

Currently my main worry is how am I going to manage to take in my Fluid, Proteins and calories after I start work next week. One to two hours of commute plus 8 hours at work.

3 weeks out and I worry about every choice I make! I don't want to mess anything up. I lost 19 pounds since surgery but now I haven't lost anything in days... not sure what I am doing wrong. My greatest worry is that this won't work for me...

Currently my main worry is how am I going to manage to take in my Fluid, Proteins and calories after I start work next week. One to two hours of commute plus 8 hours at work.

Protein drinks are the easiest way to ensure Protein intake (with the liquid bonus). For liquids, it really is a matter of getting into the habit of drinking throughout the day. I actually love Decaf iced coffee and I pour in a Premiere Protein Drink into my iced coffee throughout the day. Also, those portable liquid flavorings like Mio are great for Water.

As for calories, finding calorie-dense foods is easy, but post-op your goal is weight loss. At the beginning you will just have to eat many small meals throughout the day. I'm several months out and eat 4-6 small (4 oz) meals throughout the day and get in 800-1000 calories. Keep in mind that with alot of excess weight, we have alot of fat energy that we're burning off, so the calories won't be terribly important (unless you're unable to eat at all of course). Post-op I was eating 3-4 meals of about 3 oz, plus several Protein Drinks. My caloric intake was about 600 calories and I was exercising. Although my energy was a bit low due to surgery, I felt great overall.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Ok a lil humor but have to know if anyone who has recently had the surgery are home thinking " hmmm, I'm still fat, but I KNOW I had the surgery" LMAO I.e. just waiting for the magic from the hard work to show? I'm 9 days post op and refuse to get on a scale. I don't intend on becoming obsessive with a scale. I just want to focus on doing this properly and see results. With that being said can't wait for 90 days out to see progress. Please share what u have been thinking.

I had lost about 50 lbs before co-workers started to notice and comment. Men tend to carry their fat around their organs (or so I understand) and so our weight loss doesn't always show immediately. However, with the clothes starting to get loose and my energy skyrocketing, I was still inspired to continue my journey. There are so many non-scale victories (NSVs) along the way, keep in mind that seeing the thinner you is but one great victory.

Best of luck on your journey!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Take a bunch of photos of yourself and measure your body parts. Take the pics in the same outfit and in the same place (like in front of a door) to provide a good frame of reference as your weight loss progresses. I agree with staying off of the scale too. Good luck!

I couldn't see any changes in my looks for a long time. Although my friends could see the changes when I'd lost my 1st 30lbs. It takes a while for your real image to overcome the mental picture we've built up of ourselves.

And who says it's not okay to become obsessive about the scale. My 1st week post-op, it was a cold and rainy December and I was trapped in the house. So, I needed entertainment.

I'd weigh right when I got up, then before a pee, after a pee, before a poop, after a poop, in the evening and again before bed. I just didn't let myself take it too serious.

I started out with the ground rule that only the 1st weigh in (when I woke up) counted. The rest had too many variables that could affect my weight - intake of solid food, Water, salt content, how much I sweated.... ect. Have a good time with it. :D

The scale is the devil! A necessary evil at times, but I notice a lot more changes in myself that are completely non scale related. Keep up the great work!

Oh my gosh, I'm STILL like a kid running home every night to see if my Sea Monkeys look like monkeys yet! Wake up, check the mirror, then slap down that little part of me that goes, "why am I not skinny yet?", lol!!!!

Seems like a pretty normal reaction to me. Or we're both nuts, but I can live with it!

It's a GREAT plan to avoid the scale for a while! In the first place, many people gain a few pounds the first week after due to fluids they received\swelling, etc. I chose to wait to weigh in at my first post-op appointment, then weigh at home no more or less than once per week. The scale is a tool we use to check in for feedback. If we abuse it and turn it in to our main motivator, how are we supposed to stay motivated once we reach maintenance when it's SUPPOSED to stop moving downward? I still weigh once per week and record it, (its the only logging I do anymore). I'm 5'6 and I like to hang out around 140 pounds. If I bounce 5 pounds too high, I adjust my intake for a week or so until I'm back where I belong. Haven't had the experience of being too low, but the premise is the same. It's worked so far for me anyway!

I avoid the scale by all means the only time I weigh myself is at my Docters appointment I feel like that is better for me. Doing good so far I lost 25 pounds and I'm 1 month post-op as of today.

I avoid the scale by all means the only time I weigh myself is at my Docters appointment I feel like that is better for me. Doing good so far I lost 25 pounds and I'm 1 month post-op as of today.

Yes, the last time I weighed was at doc appt on 1/12 24 lbs down. Have no idea whats going on now... Lol I just know I still wear the same size clothes... LMAO ok they have gotten a little loose! :-)

I guess patience is a virtue. Plus this time gives up the ability to learn to eat properly and adapt to the changes.... I know its a tool and not a quick fix. I guess i'm just waiting to feel and look better... Knees still crack... hmmm energy level does not seemed to have changed yet. But maybe after 15/20 more pounds.

One thing I need to move more. Ever since I've been back at work I move less and these chairs are not ergonomically friendly. Everything hurts when I get up out of the chairs. It was not like that when I was home...smh

I thought it was just me feeling like this! I went back to work 2 weeks after surgery and was so bummed I was still in my same work clothes. I weighed in at 232 (my highest) at my post OP before thanksgiving, was sleeved on 12/12 I think I was down to 216 at my post OP appt on 12/23 and I haven't weighed myself since. I'm OCD and afraid I'll become so fixated on the number, but I know I'm doing everything I can do. I drink 2 Protein Drinks a day and walk for 30 minutes (2.5 miles) over my hour lunch break. Still in the same clothes, a few people know I've had the surgery and they tell me they see a loss but coworkers, etc nobody has asked! I just keep pushing through...eventually I'll get there! I found the below image and it's my wallpaper on my phone, so I look at it everyday and remind myself that I'll get there...I didn't put the weight on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight!

post-243454-14220835529117_thumb.jpg

I'm three weeks post op. I don't think I looked any different, but I dropped 35 lbs (due to surgery and two weeks of liquid diet prior). However, when I returned to work I wore the same clothes. I noticed my pants were bigger, but I didn't realize how big until my co-workers started making comments. It will happen to everyone, eventually your pre-surgery clothes will fall off or hang...and I am really looking forward to that!