Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor Says its a no-go - Any solutions?

While in the process of getting ready for surgery an Upper GI test disclosed a slight Hiatal Hernia which causes reflux. I've never been symptomatic ( no heatburn or pain) nor take any medication for the condition. The diagnosis was a complete surprise.

My surgeon informed me that this condition eliminates me from being a candidate for lap-band. When asked if there is anything I can do to repair address the reflux she indicated that if i do not have an symptons then I should not do anything for the condition. She also indicated that if I still wanted to have bariatric surgery RoutenX bypass is still an option and it would eliminate the reflux.

Any advice or experience with dealing with this condition?

My sense is my surgeon does mostly gastric bypass procedures and believes its a better option and is very reluctant to explore working around the Hiatal hernia. I live in Northern Cal so if anyone knows of other surgeons that I can consult with I would appreciate it.

thank you

from "sad and disappointed"

I had a hiatal hernia I didnt know about and the doctor fixed it in surgery, I would look for another doctor. I know that would be a hassle but I would do it rather than switch to a bypass, that is just my opinion. I can't help you with a doctor I am on the other side of the US but maybe someone out there knows, good luck and don't give up!

My surgeon will fix a hiatal (sp?) when he goes to put in the lap band. I'd get a second opinion!

Mine does too. I think your doc is just pushing for the rny imho. I would look too for another surgeon. Where are you located at?

Again, my doctor looked at mine and said there was a slight one but nothing to worry about. But, he would of fixed it had there been a need to. Check with another doctor if you still want to get the lap band. Deanna

I was just banded this past Thursday, May 24th. Doc found a hiatal hernia when he began the surgery, so he stopped and repaired the hernia & then proceeded with the banding. Prior to my banding, I had quite alot of acid reflux & was on Omprazole for it. Doc was aware of that and never mentioned anything about that disallowing me to be a good candidate for the band. I would see another doc & get another opinion before I switched gears to the bypass.

Good luck & keep us updated on your progress!

I had the lap band in January. Like you, I have a hiatel hernia, my surgeon who does both procedures(Band and Bypass), said he would put some stitches in the hernia and then proceed with the lap band. He said that was what his preceptor taught him when he trained to do this band procedure. I have had no complications whatsoever. So always investigate before just accepting.

I also had a hiatal hernia I was unaware of until the doctor fixed it during my LB.

I second the second opinion advice!!

I also had a hiatel hernia...the doctor repaired it when she put the lapband on....she did a two for one...she didn't charge me for the hernia repair and neither did the surgery center...

While in the process of getting ready for surgery an Upper GI test disclosed a slight Hiatal Hernia which causes reflux. I've never been symptomatic ( no heatburn or pain) nor take any medication for the condition. The diagnosis was a complete surprise.

My surgeon informed me that this condition eliminates me from being a candidate for lap-band. When asked if there is anything I can do to repair address the reflux she indicated that if i do not have an symptons then I should not do anything for the condition. She also indicated that if I still wanted to have bariatric surgery RoutenX bypass is still an option and it would eliminate the reflux.

Any advice or experience with dealing with this condition?

My sense is my surgeon does mostly gastric bypass procedures and believes its a better option and is very reluctant to explore working around the Hiatal hernia. I live in Northern Cal so if anyone knows of other surgeons that I can consult with I would appreciate it.

thank you

from "sad and disappointed"

Hi sad,

I am sorry your doc is an idiot. Sorry for the harsh words, but I was taking Prevacid for about 8 years for GERD(acid reflux disease) before being banded and haven't needed it or miss it at any time since I was banded last Monday, May 21st. The band also prevents reflux from what I read before surgery. I understand that your doctor may mostly do RNY surgeries, but that is no excuse for him to brush you off because of a minor thing as a hiatal hernia. As a matter of fact, I went to Tijuana MX for my surgery with Dr. Ortiz and he repairs the hernias at no extra charge when he performs the band surgeries. I was with a gal that had one and it was no big deal.

I truly hope you can straighten your doctor out about this and get the surgery you want and not have to settle for one that is so risky with your life.

That is my two cents. :)

Peace,

Judy

I would talk to another Dr. cause in my pre-op with mines he said that if I did have a hernia then he could fix it in the surgery process. I think yours might not be comfortable installing bands yet.