Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy New Year from BariatricPal! - 2015

Dear BariatricPal Members,

Happy New Year! May 2015 be filled with health, happiness, and weight loss surgery success for you and your family! There’s no doubt that weight loss surgery is on your mind as you Celebrate the end of 2014 and get ready to welcome 2015. So, here’s what you’ll find in this newsletter to close out the Old Year and start the New Year strong.

• Last Party of the Year: A Chance for WLS Success
  • A New Year: Which Small Changes Will You Make?

• Your New Year’s Day Game Plan

BariatricPal looks forward to our own growth and lots of new projects in 2015. We also can’t wait to see how your year goes. Thanks for making us a part of your weight loss journey, and thanks for helping each other become healthier. Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

Alex

Last Party of the Year: A Chance for WLS Success

The holiday season is long. By the time New Year’s hits, you might have had a Thanksgiving celebration, a few holiday parties at work and with friends, and a Hanukah, Christmas, or Kwanzaa party. Needless to say, the events make weight loss almost impossible.

The good news for weight loss is that the season’s almost over! Whether you’ve been remarkably self-restrained since Thanksgiving, or you’ve given in to the temptations, life’s about to get back to normal. That can’t be a bad thing.

For most people, there’s one more big party: New Year’s Eve. It may seem like just another barrier to losing weight, but it doesn’t have to be. It can actually be a neat opportunity! How’s that?

Gather Some Momentum

You may not have much momentum going if you feel like you’ve knocked over one hurdle after another this season. Turn it around this New Year’s Eve. When you eat right on December 31, you’ll prove to yourself that you can do it, no matter how hard it is. Carry that confidence with you right into the New Year, and there’s no telling how far your confidence can take you.

Your Party Plan

Maybe you’ve been using the tried-and-true tips, or maybe you haven’t had a chance yet this year. These tips can get you through the party feeling nourished but not stuffed or sick. Give them a try.

Eat Right

Is that even possible? Yes, it is. The only thing you need to eat right is the right food, and you can easily take charge of that. Serve some healthy dishes if you are hosting the party, or bring a few to share if you are a guest. Here are a few nutritious finger foods to consider.

• Cut bell peppers, cauliflower or broccoli florets, baby carrots, or celery sticks with hummus.
  • Deviled eggs made with low-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayo.< /span>

• Teriyaki skewers with cubed tofu, grilled red peppers, and mushrooms with teriyaki sauce.

• Mini pizzas on hollowed baby portabellos.

Stick to your safe foods, or you can also allow yourself a bite or two of certain favorite treats. Keep track of every bite you eat in your head or on your smartphone to keep yourself from accidentally overdoing it.

Stay Away from Alcohol

Say no to alcohol. Liquor and mixed drinks are high in calories. A 4-ounce (half-cup) glass of champagne has 78 calories, and an apple martini has 235 calories. Plus, alcohol lowers your inhibition – so you’re less likely to be able to pass up high-calorie foods. And finally, everyone knows you shouldn’t drink on an empty stomach, but every weight loss surgery patient knows you shouldn’t drink while you’re eating. Alcohol and weight loss surgery just don’t mix!

Grab a glass of Water, and enjoy it. It’s calorie-free, and it’ll keep you sober. It’ll also keep you busy so you don’t go for the food. If you’re tired of Water, try some hot coffee or tea.

Enjoy the Party

What does this have to do with weight loss and weight loss surgery? You may be surprised…

What do you love about parties? The food? Not anymore. The real reason for parties is to Celebrate people. Once you embrace that idea, you may just find that parties are a whole lot more fun than when you’re focused only on piling your plate. This year, enjoy the people and the decorations. Soak in the party atmosphere, and see how much more you love the party. Carry that lesson with you the rest of the year, too – life is about people and events, not about food.

A New Year: Which Small Changes Will You Make?

What Can 2015 Mean to You?

Maybe it’ll be the year you get weight loss surgery to finally take control of your life. Maybe it’ll be a year of colossal weight loss following weight loss surgery. Maybe it’ll be a year of gaining confidence that you can maintain your weight loss for life. Whichever you choose, 2015 can be the best year yet. What you make of 2015 is up to you.

What a Difference a Year Can Make

Take a second to think back over 2014. Did you really try your best every day? What would be different now if you had made a few changes consistently? If you’d…

• Gone to the gym an extra two times each week and burned 500 calories each time, you could be down another 15 pounds by now.
  • Phoned local surgeons to schedule consultations for weight loss surgery, maybe your surgery would be scheduled – or over – by now.

• Brought a 400-calorie lunch instead of ordered at the restaurant when the gang went out for lunch on Fridays, you could be down another 10 or 15 pounds by now.

• Skipped the pre-dinner tastes while cooking dinner, you could be down 30 pounds.

Tiny changes like these can really add up. Thinking about what a difference a year can make can get you motivated to start off right. Which changes can you make in 2015 to get the results you want by 2016?

Your New Year’s Day Game Plan

You’re gung-ho and ready to go. You just know 2015 is going to be your year. So what are you planning to do when New Year’s Day finally gets here? Here are a few ideas to start the year off right.

• Clean the house. Okay, it may not be the most glamorous-sounded idea, but it is a nice symbolic gesture. Plus, it burns calories.
  • Get rid of the junk food. If you can’t face cleaning the entire house, at least you can get rid of the extra calories so you don’t end up eating them. Say goodbye to the Christmas Cookies, candy canes, and everything else that you know shouldn’t be there. Don’t forget to restock your kitchen with lean Proteins and other essentials next time you go grocery shopping.

• Get active with or without the family. If you can recruit the kids, your spouse, or a neighbor, great. If not, enjoy a peaceful walk to clear your head and get your mindset back where it needs to be – on your health.

• Plan a few meals. Things get busy as soon as New Year’s is over. Plan a few high-Protein meals and, if you’re inclined, look for some new weight loss surgery-friendly menus.

• Choose a fitness challenge. Find a 5k or another challenge that takes place in a month or two. That’ll motivate you to get moving.

• Long onto BariatricPal. See what other members are doing to start the year off right, and share your own goals.

You’ll be amazed at how a bit of momentum can build into serious results. A few good actions on New Year’s Day can give you the start you need to have the 2015 you want.

Thanks for being part of BariatricPal in 2014, and we can’t wait to see what 2015 has in store for the community and for you. Stop by as often as you can to read and post in the forums, and don’t be shy about contacting us. Happy New Year!

Great food ideas! Thanks for sharing!