Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Banded that has a gag reflex???

:help: I went today and signed a note for 14000.00 to pay for my band. I am having it done in Birmingham at Medical Center East by Dr Schmitt. Consult is on the 30th. I guess since I am having to pay all of this out, I am worrying. My question this hour is does anyone gag like I do. When I brush my teeth I gag. When I go to the dentist I gag.... I gag and Gag and gag. I started worrying that it won't work because I gag so much. This morning I worried that my cancer will flare back up and I will die before it works. Yesterday I worried that I might be allergic to the band and then I am out all of this money???? :faint: It really is horrible that we are so desperate and have to go through these things. This board ALWAYS makes me feel better, so Help!!! Thanks everyone

I gag when I brush my teeth,I was banded this month.I think that is normal to 2nd guess what you are about to do.I went though the same thing.That is why this forum is so nice to have at hand,because there is always someone that feels the same as you do.I just try to keep postive thoughts about the future and how good I am going to feel about myself later....

this is something I would like to know too. I gag every morning when I brush to. I know $14,000 sound like a bunch of money but if it could improve the quality of life I think it is a hell of a deal. I think if you gag the band will still work but I heard your at a high risk of the band sliping. I know thats what my doc told me about vomiting, I tihnk it might me the same for gaging. I will ask my Doc on friday. best of luck to you and I will post what my doc tells me on friday about the gaging.

What is your pre-op diet? I'm on the adkin's for know and then 10days before I switch to a CL diet with protien. I think I have had some of the same fears. Will, it work why I'm I having trouble, I know think that mybe I can't swallow right....yada yada. I think that this is such a big deal but, it will be worth it. Try and think about the positive things and do some guided imagery. I wrote a check last night in my sleep for 16,000. I guess I'm still trying to process all the money to. Sometimes I think well I could take a vacation. But, then I remind myself next year I can take a vaca and really enjoy it with my new body. hang in there.

Lab work May 25 07

EDG June 4 07

Surgery date June 19 07

I have a SUPER sensitive gag reflex.....I think I might actually gag less now than before. I gag when I brush my teeth, gag when I cough too hard, gag when I try to hold a pencil in my mouth....it's awful....I was terribly worried about it before being banded, and it was all for nothing. You'll be fine, don't worry about that part of it.