Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is my question to your question: My surgeon stated there was no medical reason to have a drain tube, why is your surgeon doing one? Have you asked this question to him/her?

LOL I think I just answered your post in a different thread! My surgeon told me that not all surgeons use them. He told me that he does the tube because if there is a leak it would go into the tube not my body. He also will keep me in the hospital 4 days. He said surgeons that do several surgeries a day don't use the tube. I think either way will be okay. I just want to know what to expect.

I had a drain tube put in, wow never did I feel so much pain when the nurse pulled it out!

I had one and other than it being super gross, it doesn't hurt. When they pull it out, you just take deep breaths as they pull and it feels weird, but not painful.

I had a drain. They checked it regularly while I was in the hospital and pulled it when I was discharged. It didn't really hurt having it removed. I felt it running through my body but the feeling was no where near what I would describe as pain. It was almost like a weird tickle on the inside.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@Tauruslady5, a JP drain collects A LOT of bloody drainage after surgery. When a JP drain is not used, where do you imagine that drainage goes? There isn't some special technique used by some surgeons and not others that eliminates the need for it; the drainage will happen regardless of whether a JP is used or not. Personally, I'd rather the pain and discomfort of a JP rather than letting all of the sanguinous Fluid just drain into my peritoneal cavity. That's scarier to me.

Btw, anyone who is considering a Tummy Tuck will get not one but two JP drains after surgery. And, they are tunneled and exit through the mons pubis (top of the va-jay)!

Happy New Years to all of you!

every doc is different, every bariatric program is different, every pre and post op diet is different. so, it goes without saying that every surgeon has their own belief about drains.

i DID have a drain. it wasn't a big deal. it was not so comfortable to sleep with it, because i am a side sleeper. i had to sleep on my back for a week, then it was taken out. felt weird, like a worm coming out. not a big problem at all.

i am planning on having plastics this summer or fall, and i have been well versed by my plastics guy on the TWO drains for the TT, and possible drains for my breast reduction/lift...

@@mi75, I've had a breast lift as well and had a JP drain in each breast. If I remember correctly I had them for about 3 days and the abdominal ones around 5 or 6 days. None of them bothered me except when I took a shower, and I didn't find them painful or uncomfortable at all; even when they were removed.

True!!! Lots and lots of yuck Fluid that would otherwise stay in your body...it's better to have the drain...it comes out quick and pretty easy...

Most people if they are lucky have fluids absorbed by the body. In some cases the body doesn't and as a result people develop abscesses. The drain shouldn't hurt upon removal, mine didn't. I just knew that since I had experience an abscess with my previous surgery it was the right decision for me. Obviously my medical team felt I had responded well enough that they were okay with removing it at discharge so it's likely it was the best decision for me.

I had a drain for 12 days. Living with it was not a big deal. I taped to my body or pinned it to the inside of my shirt depending on where I was. When I was home, I did neither. I simply wore a sweatshirt with a pocket and tucked it in the pocket.

I changed the bandage around it everyday. Showering was a tad challenging because I held the drain bulb with one hand and washed with the other, but not a big deal.

I had no problems with the drain at all. Removal wasn't painful at all. It feels odd because you feel it coming out, but there was no pain. After the drain was removed, a bandage was placed on the site that I changed until it scabbed over. For me, it was only 2 days.

My surgery was done robotically by the chief of robotic surgery for a huge system of hospitals in my area. Emptying it everyday made me appreciate having the drain so my body did not have to use energy to dispose of the waste. I don't think having a drain or not having one is wrong or right. For me, I think it was the right avenue to go down.

I had a tube and it was a little bit uncomfortable like having a sore in my side when I twisted, but nothing major. The drain bag kinda creeped me out at first, but then I got over it after a few hours. It did hurt when my surgeon pulled it out, but it only took a few second, then it was over forever!

Don't forget that the entire surgery and recovery is just a blip on the radar of your life. Once you're on the 'other side' of surgery, it's all behind you.