Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off for the surgery ?

Hello everyone,

I begin my pre-op diet on Monday for my surgery on January 19th.

I'm getting nervous, mainly because I don't know how to ask for the time off from work.

My work is very accommodating but I am keeping this a secret from them.

Can anyone give me advice on how they dealt with this / reasons they asked for time off?

Thanks !

I would definitely keep it a secret from those you work with. People can be so judgmental, even in the kindest of work environments. You could tell them it's for surgery related to a female issue. That usually shuts people up. I was able to have my surgery during the winter break at my job, so I already had the time off. Good luck with your surgery. I'm only on day 3 post-op and my brain wants to eat real food instead of the liquid diet. No sure if I'll ever eat Jello again for the rest of my life. :)

Thanks Bkckick88.

Yes I agree. I don't want to hear negative opinions so best to just avoid it all together.

Congrats on post op !

How are you finding recovery ?

I was told by the surgeon anywhere from 2-6 weeks but that depends on if there ate complications. But I have a friend who had her surgery on Wednesday and way back to work by monday.

As for people at work, to include your boss and HR department, it's not their right to know what type of surgery you are having. If you don't want to lie ( though its not a bad idea for people who are pushy lol) simply tell them it's personal.

I took a week of vacation time off for the surgery. I had surgery on a Monday and thought I would be ready to go back the following Monday. I actually needed a couple more days off and didn't go back to work till the following Wednesday. I told everyone at work what I was doing. They were more than accommodating and happy for me. They even sent me flowers to my home as I was recovering. I guess telling people all depends on where you work. I have never heard one negative thing - in fact it has been all positive encouragement.

I would definitely take off a little more than you think you will need. That way you don't feel stressed about getting back to work.

Dsteele89, my recovery has been fairly smooth. I didn't experience any of the shoulder pain from the air they pushed in my abdomen, so I'm grateful for that. Just a little bloated for a few days. I was having a hard time finding a comfortable position to sleep in because I'm a side sleeper, but someone on here suggested I use a pillow to support my stomach on my side and that's been very helpful. I feel so much better today. I'm not as bloated and I'm not quite as sore as I was yesterday. I definitely feel like I'm on the mend and will be ready to go back to work on Monday. I just don't want anyone running into my stomach accidentally...yikes! I've got a little bit of "head hunger," where I'm tired of my liquid diet and trying to be patient until I can add more variety into my intake. I can't wait to eat cottage cheese or a soft yogurt. Looking forward to a new me in 2015 and the "green zone."

Edited by bkchick88

It took me 8 days to get back to feeling up and ready to go back to work (desk job)