Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Read* Leak Omnipaque

Hi, I thought I had a leak three months ago, and after about $400 in travel and dr. fees for five fills, my P.A. finally thinks I do too. She stated I needed my port replaced w/o any dye injection, anything. I asked how she knew it was the port, and she said, because that is where it usually is???:paranoid

I told her I could not afford another surgery, asked if it was covered under warranty, and she said there is no warranty on the Inamed band, and I signed papers on that (dont remember three years ago), and I have new insurance.......soooo.

I remembered reading that several of you have had your docs fill your band with thicker solution, omniplaque, etc and it solved the problem. I asked her about this and she said something about it getting stuck and not getting it back out, but that she really hadn't heard about it and would research it, and HERE is where I need help! If you have had your band filled with the thicker stuff, would you please write me a paragraph or so testimonial so that I can show her people DO this (she looked at me like I was nuts, and said I needed to stay off the internet). Please email me if you have had this and it worked or didn't work. I think my hole is small, because it holds for several days.

Please help!

Crystal

I was filled with the thicker solution without a problem. My fill held perfectly for 3 months. When I went in recently to have my fill adjusted he was able to take all the solution out without a problem. There was no leak and now I am at the perfect level still. It is worth trying. I haven't heard anything about it getting "stuck". It is just a little thicker then saline and my doctor had no problems extracting the same amount through the needle. Good luck.

Thank you! Anyone else, if you have had this please reply! I would like to fax the responses to my doctor this week, so they can consider this for me before I gain everything back! My fill was sitting at 1.5 (everything else had leaked out), but after I left I realized she took ALL of that out! So now I am 0. I don't know if she forgot or what, but I am two hours away, and that makes me a little sad. She should've left that little bit in, so I would still have something....you know!?

Anyways, thanks for everyones help.

Crystal

I also have the omnipaque. It's use is standard operating procedure for many fill doctors. Saline is usually used first, as it was in my case, and if the saline evaporates or is absorbed by the band or whatever happens to it, then omnipaque is the next line of defense. My first fill was 1.5 ccs in a 4 cc band. Half of it disappeared within a few weeks, so when I went in for my 2nd fill, the doctor decided omnipaque should be used. I now have 3.5 ccs of omnipaque, and fortunately, it has stayed in the band. Saline disappearing or evaporating or getting absorbed is a common occurrence. You should NOT have your port, tubing, or band replaced without more conclusive diagnostic tests being done. Good luck.

Jesces, i totally agree with enterprise here. I JUST went in for my third fill today, only to discover ive got a big leak. my surgeon put in ten ccs in my four cc band and i could STILL drink a cup of Water no problem, he tried pulling Fluid out and couldnt even get out a full cc. I go in tomorrow for a flourascope fill with omnipaque to see WHERE the leak is, and surgery scheduled immediately after IF ITS NEEDED, which they think is definite AFTER the tests.

I wouldnt let a PA decide it girl. Can you see your surgeon who performed the operation? if not, i would go to another lap band surgeon and get a second opinion.

If I could just get TWO more people who have had a fill of ominpaque to email me. I would really like to get these testimonials together and fax them to my dr. tommorrow! Please help.

Crystal

There is a section here somewhere where Dr. Curry writes in. He is a very well known band doctor. He will email back to you. He has emailed me with answers to questions. <br /> <br /> Does anyone have his website to give Crystal?

You could always put up a post asking for him to answer a question. I have seen people do that.

Thank you so much, Denise. I asked him and he just said he has heard of it, that is about it. Temporary fix at best. That is exactly what I need though!..LOL. I need a temporary fix. I just had heart surgery for SVT, and cannot afford another one until this one is paid for. Not to mention, I need to heal.

Blessings!

Crystal

You're so welcome! I am glad I finally was of some help to someone here. I am rather new myself, so I usually the one asking the questions. I hope your doctor will take advice from Dr. Curry. He's great to come to the boards and help us. He has a regular ask Dr. Curry section on OH.