Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon Post-Op can I take Motrin or Excedrin?

I was sleeved 12/8 and my doc said no NSAIDS, but I have a major headache and really need to take something. Do you think enough time has passed that I can take something now?

I called my doctor about "that time of the month". I'd heard there were ibuprofen Patches, so that the nsaids weren't being digested through your stomach, but mine still said no nsaids ever. My doctor said I could take tylenol products.

It seems like some doctors handle the nsaid question differently, so I'd probably check with them. I've read that the nsaids seemed to cause ulcers in bypass patients, and the verdict may still be out on sleevers so some docs are just saying no to out of an abundance of caution. I really can't remember when that article was written or where I found it, but I'd still say check with your own doctor.

I hope you feel better soon!

I get Migraines so My dr prescribed me Carafate which coats your stomach. if I have a really bad Migraine that no other meds will fix I will take the Carafate before an NSAID. I do this very rarely though, but it may be something for you to consider for the future.

Edited by sunflowerchild

Call your doctor. I was told we could never take (NSAIDs) such as asprin, ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleeve, Naprosyn, because these medications increase your risk of developing ulcers. After bariatric surgery, ulcers are more difficult to diagnose and treat.

It was recommended that if I had a headache I should take Tylenol instead. If you need to take an NSAID it needs to be under the supervision of your doctor.

OK, thanks y'all. I'll give them a call and see what they say. Appreciate the input! ????

chronic I had a horrible Migraine after my surgery my second day home literally brought me to my knees, my wife went to cvs and picked up a bottle of liquid Tylenol. Worked Great! they have adult strength now its a godsend, my doctor said it was a great choice for bariatric patients.

I didn't realize they had adult liquid Tylenol. Thanks for letting me know!

I currently take Mobic for a bad knee injury. Docs are ok with it because its a short time and I know to take it later in the day after I've eaten, and so on.

Each doc is different. I would check before taking any NSAID.

NSAIDs affect your stomach the same way (through your blood stream), whether they are taken orally or some other way.

Sorry.

I was told no NSAIDs forever. Due to the irritation and bleeding they can do to the stomach. But every Dr says different things. But this makes sense to me

I had an nsaid shot. I was told that since it bypassed the stomach I would be fine. The doctor also wrote me a prescription for Tylenol 3's with codeine. This took care of my headaches. I don't think Tylenol does much of anything for me.

Take arthritis Tylenol it's the strongest ! That's what I use