Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else feel like this before surgery?

Hi Audrey! (I love your name)

It's totally normal to feel scared or nervous! Do not let anyone's negative attitudes make you frustrated. You're about to go through a life changing ordeal and you need SUPPORT! Not "Oh wells" or whateva.

I wish I was 18 when I got it done, If I could have had it done years ago.. I would have. I actually had a co-worker tell me I was too young to get it. I'm like HELLOOOOOOO, I'll be 30 in a few years. How old do you think I should be, 50??

I was scared as all hell about this.. Not really the challenge of it, but because I was afraid I wouldn't wake up from the surgery or something. HOWEVER, The morning of the surgery.. I was suprisingly CALM as all can be. My mom was so shocked at how relaxed I was (this was BEFORE those anti-anxity meds). You will be nice and high and calm before you go in!

I also had never had surgery before and it was tough the first couple days in the hospital just lifting myself out of the bed and feeling the pain. But after about the first week, I was already feeling great! I do not have ANY regrets. And once you start to lose the weight and can see/feel the difference.. You will feel like a whole new person. I am happy for you! You will do just fine!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress : )

THIS IS SO COOL! You are having it done so young that you will most likely NOT need plastic surgery because your nice elastic skin will snap right back up AND you will live your life as a normal sized person... Consider yourself wise beyond your years for making such a big decision.

That made my day. You are the first person to say that to me! everyone tells me I'm crazy and I'm going to get into so much dept cause I'm young. My mom gave me $5,000 the other $12,000 I financed. And honestly I live at home work full tiem and school part time...If I pay $1,000 thats only a year. It's going to be so awesome to say, yes I did this and ye sI paid for it.

Can't wait.

Hi Audrey! (I love your name)

It's totally normal to feel scared or nervous! Do not let anyone's negative attitudes make you frustrated. You're about to go through a life changing ordeal and you need SUPPORT! Not "Oh wells" or whateva.

I wish I was 18 when I got it done, If I could have had it done years ago.. I would have. I actually had a co-worker tell me I was too young to get it. I'm like HELLOOOOOOO, I'll be 30 in a few years. How old do you think I should be, 50??

I was scared as all hell about this.. Not really the challenge of it, but because I was afraid I wouldn't wake up from the surgery or something. HOWEVER, The morning of the surgery.. I was suprisingly CALM as all can be. My mom was so shocked at how relaxed I was (this was BEFORE those anti-anxity meds). You will be nice and high and calm before you go in!

I also had never had surgery before and it was tough the first couple days in the hospital just lifting myself out of the bed and feeling the pain. But after about the first week, I was already feeling great! I do not have ANY regrets. And once you start to lose the weight and can see/feel the difference.. You will feel like a whole new person. I am happy for you! You will do just fine!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress : )

Kelsey! Oh my gosh 40 pounds in just over a month WAY TO GO GIRL! That's soem serious inspiration. I'm down for 40 pounds. Lol. Thanks for the compliment on my name, I use to hate it cause everyone couldn't spell it and called me Aubrey :tired that was lame. But growing up I have found that I la la la love it! Anyways, thanks for sharing your story with me! I honestly love hearing about everyones experiences! It gives me so much inspiration. I'm so glad I posted this thread! I am feelign a million times better! no joke. I can breathe now! Haha.

Oh yessss! It took a few months to lose this weight. I've really been working at it. In the beginning I was iffy about the exercise because I hate exercising! Now I make sure I exercise EVERY day. It's so weird how your mind will totally change and some healthy things that never mattered before will all of a sudden become this priority!

Haha! That is awesome.. I came here asking 29039949 questions before my surgery!

Are you excited?! Tomorrow is your big day!

Audrey,

I'm scared ****less. I can't even go to the dentist without freaking out. I have to take a sedative to calm me down. I am actually considering delaying my surgery because we're moving this summer, and I don't think I can handle both, even though the move is before the surgery. My family has been very supportive, but sometimes my mom is a jerk and won't listen to me talk about the things I'm afraid of, and suggests right away that maybe I shouldn't do it. (instead of listening and giving me some support and encouragement) I totally understand feeling like you can't go anywhere before the surgery. I would feel that way for several reasons-- 1. I'd feel like I hate people to see me fat, and I'm going to be skinnier so why suffer through that ONE MORE TIME

2. I have so many things to take care of before the surgery, I need time to do those things and focus on being mentally prepared.

I wish you the best, the only solace I can offer you is that once you get put to sleep, you don't have to worry about the surgery anymore. I'd probably try not to think about it much and distract myself until tomorrow.

I hope everything works out well for you, and odds are, it will.

Best of luck,

Evilah

I love this place! i feel the same way. i have my surgery tomorrow and am scared. i have had other surgeries before but they were always in an emergency situation so i didnt have time to think about it. its normal to be nervous and scared when having such a major life change, its also stressfull!! we can do this. good luck tomorrow! if so many people are online posting the day after their surgery thats a good sign for us!

hye my insurance approved 100% too. i don't think people often say that if it did, and I wonder how many insurance companies approve 100%. (Most people only post about payment if they're self-pay or insurance only pays for part of the sruger)

Hey guys.... Here's what it was like for me. The day of surgery, I went in and there was a woman there who just sits with people and helps people relax. I had last minute jitters and wondered if I was nuts to let someone insert a foreign object in me permanently.... Then the doctor came in and was reassuring and answered any last questions. They started an IV in my arm. which was no big deal. Then they start the medicine in the IV and you just go to sleep. The operation itself just takes minutes. When I woke up, I was groggy and a little nauseous. The put an anti nausea patch on my arm. They had me walk around. I was still pretty much in twilight. Then they had me drink a tiny cup of barium (no taste...white), and we watched it on the fluoroscope....it showed that it went on through my stomach without getting stuck. I sat around and drank some Water. They gave me instructions for what to do when I got home, and gave me photos of the actual operation, and home I went.

It took me about 3 days of recovery. I was sleeping in a recliner because I had gas pain in my right shoulder..... And no matter what they tell you, the only things that worked for me were walking, heating pad, and lots of liquid Tylenol. I walked and slept, walked and slept. But I really started feeling quite a bit better after my initial nap after I got home from the hospital.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I have a feeling we bandsters are going to hear a lot of crap from a lot of people for the rest of our lives. I'm sure there are many others around this site like me. Since I was 18 (many moons ago) I've probably lost over 500 pounds total. You know the cycle, 5 off, 10 on, 10 off, 20 on and so on. You must remember since you are so young that you will need to make some drastic life changing ways. This isn't really the easy way out like some think. I was camping right after my surgery (in fact I was still on liquids) and one night there was a young girl there that had had lap band and she was eating and drinking like there was no tomorrow. She told my daughter she did what she wanted but just not as often. Needless to say she hasn't lost much weight. I can't understand why someone would go to that much trouble to have surgery just to eat around the band. I didn't say anything to her but just sat in awe.

I also hear many times why choose to have a surgery you don't have to have? I have no comment to come back with but I think so many people, especially heavier ones, are just jealous because they haven't got the courage to do it themselves. And then you will get all the statistics about why it is bad. Why don't these same people give you the statistics about why it is good. This is your life and if you choose to make yourself healthier through surgery it's no one's business but yours. I've only been out for 9 weeks and I have yet to think, gee I wish I hadn't done that. Since I was a self pay I had to do a lot of soul searching to justify spend that kind of money but since I'm now single and am not fincially responsible for anyone else I knew it was the right choice for me. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have if I had dependents because an early death would be a financial burden and an emotional devistation to my kids too. Now I'm planning on living longer to spend the rest of my retirement and not leave any for the kids. I'm going to live longer so I can do the things I want to do with retirement.

I'm just rattleing now but I think these are ideas I've been needing to put down somewhere. You go for the surgery and don't worry about the putter downers. Yes, you can be anxious. Yes, you will probably be a little sore for awhile. Yes, you can go back to work, especially at a desk job. I went back to running my in home day care a week after surgery. I was just really careful not to pick up kids. Good luck

Audrey,

You are so normal....I was scared to death....I was so afraid that something would go wrong and I couldn't have the surgery done...I was excited and scared at the same time...

Honey, don't worry about what other people say or think....you owe them nothing....just get your band and start this wonderful journey...I was banded on 4/30/07 and I have lost 30 lbs....I am so glad I had this done....and the night before I started THE REQUIRED two week liquid diet before the surgery....My husband, two daughters and their families, went out to eat...we called it the "LAST SUPPER"...I was so glad I did...I enjoyed it very much...and it was a time for me to relax and have a great supper with my family....

I woke up at 5:20 this morning and took a shoer...headed out to NWWLS. I got checked in and everything went fine I was very scared, I didn't cry though, which suprised me. My mom stayed wiht me up until the put me on the operating bed. Going under wasn't so bad. It was more scarey waking up. I felt like I couldn't breathe and felt like I was choking I IMMEDIATLY said "I NEED TO SIT UP" and they let me. I sipped soem Water but was sooo full after just a glass. I was home by Noon. I took a nice little nap and my best friend came to see me for a little while. He was so cute, first thing he said was "Can I touch you, I don't want to hurt you." I don't think he really understood how huge this was until he saw my insicions. I don't have much insicion pain yet just the shoulders are killing me. I have been taking gas x strips to try and cool that done, Other than that I have been walking outside and then laying down with a heating pas watching little miss sunshine =] I feel like I have great restriciton with just Water and broth right now. I felt full after half a Protein drink. That was so promising. It's a little hard to beelive that I ACTUALLY have this. I have waited for so long and victory tastes so much better than a cheeseburger. =]

All of the posts on thsi thread REALLY helped me. No one in my immediate family is as big as me and no one really gets it so to have support here really does make all the difference.

Thanks so much guys! Made one scared girl feel alot better!