Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateaus? Help! I need encouragement!

I had my surgery November 12th and so far have lost 28 pounds. I seem to have reached an impasse and the scales have been stuck for almost 2 weeks. I'm still on soft foods - is there something I'm doing wrong or is this to be expected? How long does it usually last? Is there anything we are suppose to do to budge it off this plateau? I have not been released to exercise yet. :(

Edited by maier_la

You are right smack in the middle of normal. That third week stall can last anywhere from a couple of days to two or three weeks, then you will start losing again. Today, 12/23/2014 is my one year surgiversary. I have lost 65 of the 100 pounds set with my original goal of 135. My last stall lasted from mid-June to the end of November, then all of a sudden on December first, it started dropping again. I guess I am a slow loser.

I have decided that I am not going to stress out over it. The second year is just as important as the first. One advantage of losing more slowly is that your skin has a better chance of regaining elasticity. Those of us who have gone before you will keep encouraging you to stay with the plan your team gave you. Have faith in the process and don't become part of the sofa.

Yep, it's normal. You don't say what you are doing, so now way to know if you are doing anything wrong. If you are following your docs advice, then you are doing all you can.

I always found it almost strange that my body would just not turn loose of a pound sometimes even though I was doing everything right, and then it would drop a lot, even though nothing had changed. I learned that is just the way it works for me. But looking back at the big picture, even with a few stalls here and there, the loss was fairly steady over time, and it tapered off as I got closer to goal.

Yep, normal stall around week 3. Soldier on. You'll be fine.

Weight loss seems to be stair steps. As everyone has said you are in the norm. The stall will break.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your encouragement!! I was afraid I was doing something wrong. Actually after I wrote this morning, I weighed myself and have dropped one pound so maybe the plateau is over for now and I'll continue on down. I keep having to remind myself to be patient with myself!!